It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
(male)

climb on HB User
Question Physio after "minor" PTTD surgery

Anyone with tips, video or drawings for a physio?
Or better, direction for physiotherapist EXPERIENCED in PTTD treatment in Ottawa, ON?
Montreal will do in a pinch, in a month ;-(

Had surgery on May 08 for a right foot debridement of PT and FHL tendons as treatment for an exercise induced PTTD.
7 weeks after surgery progressed to walking (a bit only) on both feet with a Ritchie brace. @ 2 months can walk slowly for 30 min a couple times a day. Ice 15 min 5 times a day. Did Voltaren gel for 2 weeks, looks like it helped a bit.

The Following User Says Thank You to climb on For This Useful Post:
Annie7679 (07-08-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
(female)

vdizzle HB User
Re: Physio after "minor" PTTD surgery

Hi climb on! I am looking at having a Tenosynovectomy on my post tib tendon as conservative treatment has not worked.

You state that you believe your surgery has helped a bit. How are you doing now?

I was reluctant at first when surgery was initially brought up...but now I'm thinking that hopefully this will help me go back to being active? Mine was brought on by overuse/exercise as well. I'd love to know more about your experience.

Hope you're doing well!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
(female)

allykay HB Userallykay HB Userallykay HB User

Hi to both of you

Had the same surgery-failed unfortunately . I sincerely hope that I'm just an anomaly & you both have much success!

Vdizzle- you say yours was brought on by exercise. How long ago? & what specifically (i.e.- did you up your mileage/workout intensity too quickly?) What kind of conservative treatments did you try?

Ally

Old 07-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
(female)

vdizzle HB User

Hi allykay!

Yes, I had started back to running & working out after not doing much for about 5 years. I was having some pain while running, but thought it was soreness and just being out of shape, so I continued. The run that did me in was outside on pavement and I didn't track the mileage. It was feeling good so I went with it, and increased mileage by 25% not knowing it. It was only a 3.5 mile run, so I didn't think too much of it at the time. Well, due to the pain, I stopped running but continued walking and the elliptical. Even that became too painful so I went to complete rest. This was in February 2013.

During the first week of complete rest, my feet/ankles were still hurting pretty bad and by the end of the day would be very swollen, so I finally went to have it checked out.

MRI came back with stress fracture and mild tenosynovitis. Doc put me in a cast for 6 weeks. PT for 8 weeks with ionto treatments and ultrasound. I have bought stability running shoes that I wear ALL the time with green superfeet inserts. Met with my doc again in June and we tried an oral corticosteriod for the inflammation (after she suggested surgery, as I wanted to make sure we had exhausted all conservative measures) and decided to continue PT for another 6 weeks. I had some temporary relief, but the inflammation and pain have come back. It's been 5 months since I've ran and done much of anything. I can walk, but long distances like a trip to the mall will aggravate it. I can only imagine what jogging/running would do.

So, I see my doc again on July 31st. I have a feeling I know where the conversation is heading.

Wish me luck!!

Old 07-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
(female)

wants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB User

Im in ottawa and while she didnt really have experience in my surgery (PTT repair, Calcaneal osteotomy), Carleton University Sports Therapy Clinic-Marie Elise, was great physio. Although, you need to have a sports related injury. (or maybe say you did)

Last edited by wants to walk; 07-19-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
(female)

allykay HB Userallykay HB Userallykay HB User

I'm about the same level as you in terms of pain, same limitations, etc. My last run was Oct 12, 2011 . I'm glad to hear that you did do "too much too soon" type of situation- I had been running for 5 years & didn't up my training so it's kind of a mystery as to why my tendon got swollen in the first place? So if you at least WERE doing a lot more, hopefully that means you know what really brought it on & your surgery will work!!!!! *crosses fingers*

Closed Thread

Tags
physiotherapy, pttd