It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
(female)

toni74 HB User
Unhappy Post Morton's Neuroma Surgery

I am one week post op neuroma surgery. Daily electrical shocks through my toes for 2 years finally brought me to surgery. My two middle toes are now burning when walking with boot on. No pain when I'm off my feet. Hoping someone has had same experience post op and can reassure me that this is temporary and will subside. My doctor was very ANGRY for even asking such a ridiculous question when I called him!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Post Morton's Neuroma Surgery

Well, I didn't have a boot - I had a surgical shoe. I wouldn't say it "burned" to walk but it did feel funny because those toes have no feeling between them. Maybe it's more of a tingling you are feeling which would be normal till you get used to the no feeling in them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
(female)

Newleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB User

A burning sensation is associated with sensory nerves. Often sensory nerves sustain trauma during surgical procedures which can result in complete numbness, burning sensations, pain with the slightest touch and even electrical tingling sensations. Usually that is the progression one goes through in the nerve's healing process. I And many others here have experienced this type of pain and gone through its various stages. I am not sure why your doctor could not have easily explain this to you or why he would be ANGRY that you called and asked such a question. It is part of their job to answer your questions and it is a valid question and concern to bring up to the doctor.

Since you are only a week post surgery it could take a bit longer before you start to notice the burning sensation starting to ease up, for me the burning took a couple of weeks for others it has taken just a few days. It is different for each person and it also depends on how much trauma the nerves have sustained. If you do not see some progression soon or if you are concerned that something else may be the cause of your pain then if I were you I would schedule an appointment to have it checked out. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

I wish you all the best in your recovery.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
(female)

toni74 HB User

Thanks SO much for your replies! All I needed was to hear from someone with a little compassion and understanding. I've had way too many bad experiences with the medical profession through the years and was ready to add this latest one to the list. I'll be more confident when I feel any improvement but will give it at least two weeks before I think the worst.

The following user gives a hug of support to toni74:
Newleftside (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I trust you understand that full recovery can take up to 12 months. You should see substantial improvement at 6 weeks and recovery will not be linear. In other words, some days better, some days not. Be patient.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
toni74 (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
(female)

toni74 HB User

At my initial consult, the doctor told me I would be "running" in four-weeks! That's why I am so concerned now. He only gave me the "good"; I would have appreciated the "bad and the ugly" as well.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

You could be. That's not beyond expectation. It's just that the nerve ending takes a long time to heal. And then there's recovery and there's recovery. Doctors tend to think in terms of when they release you as being done with recovery. But what you think recovery is and what I do could be 2 entirely different things. It was probably about 9 months for me when the twinges totally went away. But I could pretty much do whatever I wanted at 6 weeks when he released me.

Last edited by Titchou; 07-09-2013 at 11:02 AM.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
(female)

Newleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I trust you understand that full recovery can take up to 12 months. You should see substantial improvement at 6 weeks and recovery will not be linear. In other words, some days better, some days not. Be patient.
Well said Titchou! You have a gift with words, what takes me 5 paragraphs tro say you eloquently cover in one or less. Thank you for all that you do to help is out. 😎

The Following User Says Thank You to Newleftside For This Useful Post:
Titchou (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
(female)

toni74 HB User

You've both been very helpful. Thanks again!

Closed Thread