It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #1
(female)

vikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB User
Question planning on getting screws out.. calcaneal ost... a lil nervous

Hi everyone.. My doctor told me that only after 6 months post op will he consider taking the one screw out that I had received for my calcaneal osteom. , from the of the "FDL Transfer dated 3/13/13 that I had.

I do feel tightness in my Achilles tendon, that requires stretching, stretching, stretching, I think that is one of the major issues am having , since that comes no.1
no.2 , which is the pain heel that was excruciating at first , has definitely subsided, but It is definitely there , about 20% numb . with tiny pings about once or twice a week. (pings... being little tiny sensation jerky feelings in my foot) .
I am wondering what most recovery time is, and if it was worth it, or no difference at all with the screw out.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
(female)

RuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB User
Re: planning on getting screws out..calcaneal ost.. a lil nervous

Now I'm getting nervous....it seems that my OS is the only one that leaves the screws in. He said that removing them leaves a whole and that increases chances for a fiture fracture. Anyone else hear this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
(female)

vikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthS View Post
Now I'm getting nervous....it seems that my OS is the only one that leaves the screws in. He said that removing them leaves a whole and that increases chances for a fiture fracture. Anyone else hear this?
hey Ruth!!!, how ya doin??? well... maybe , i made it sound sweeter than it wuzzz!!! My Dr. told me that in his words exactly, hunched over as he always stares at my foot studying it intensely and Never looks me in my face!! He said .." I do not take the screws out unless the patient complains of discomfort ."

... I just wish he could have said ......" unless youuuu complain of discomfort".
Why Do i always feel there is someone else in the room with us when i'm speaking with my surgeon, but all i see his him???? (maybe that issue belongs on another board huh????)
anyway... I was thinking no screw is better than screw, I am actually clueless, and figured that the non stretching Achilles tendon involved the screw.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
(female)

RuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB User

Hey there! I've been doing great, basically back to normal!

I just did a trip to get my son, I drove about 1200 km in 3 days, the foot was great! I'm just a bit stiff today, but I thought it would have been worse. I used cruise control as much as I could. (Toronto-RI-CT-NY-Toronto)

Life is good, the kids are back to normal ( read..I'd rather starve then make my own food)! I tried to convince them that doing laundry is honing their skills...lets say that didn't fly!

I was told my screws stay put. I do worry at times that they'll be an issue.
They do bother me in the stormy weather, it aches, which is an issue at the moment as Toronto is the new Venice at the moment!

Take care!

The Following User Says Thank You to RuthS For This Useful Post:
vikkio (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
(female)

Animal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB User

Hey guys!
Just been for my consultant appointment today, and because of the pain I am having he has put me on the urgent list to have the screw taken out.
Everything is good, foot still swells to the size of watermelon if I do too much, and my limp gets a whole lot worse, lol
Thinking my foot is not very attractive and looks very lumpy, but I suppose still only half way ish till full recovery.
Good to hear from you guys again and glad you doing good! X

Old 07-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
(female)

flatfoot nomore HB Userflatfoot nomore HB Userflatfoot nomore HB User
Re: planning on getting screws out.. calcaneal ost... a lil nervous

I'm getting my 3 screws out on the 22nd of july (12 days )...I'm nervous because it will only be a little over 5 months but the screw they put in for my bone graft is being really troublesome. My Dr. isn't worried about doing it early because i'm in so much pain but I do have to be off my feet for another 2 weeks.
I'm nervous too but it def can't be any worse then what we already went through
-Calcaneal osteotomy
-Column Lengthening w/ bone graft
-Achilles Lengthening
-Gastro. recession (Rt. only)

Old 07-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
(female)

Amethy5t HB UserAmethy5t HB UserAmethy5t HB UserAmethy5t HB User

Hi! I am getting one of my screws out tomorrow. I think OS might be going to replace it, which i didnt kmow was an option, but maybe that is becausotis is not good to leave a hole. My calcaneal osteotomy was 18 months ago, and my heel, where the screw was inserted, has never been pain free. My problem is that the screw is working its way out and damaging the Achilles tendon. I've heard that a lot of people have problems with the screws, but it wasn't mentioned to me before the surgery. I am having the tendon repaired and a lateral ligament stabilisation as well, so I will have a longer recovery than if I were just having the screw out. Good luck whatever you decide. If you are in pain, I say go for it. I don't think it's a problem that resolves itself.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
(female)

Ruth, you are soo funny!!!!!!! hahaa!!! i wore a 2 inch baby platform kitten heel today, and that was nice. no pain.,,did it for 1 hour walking around.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal1968 View Post
Hey guys!
Just been for my consultant appointment today, and because of the pain I am having he has put me on the urgent list to have the screw taken out.
Everything is good, foot still swells to the size of watermelon if I do too much, and my limp gets a whole lot worse, lol
Thinking my foot is not very attractive and looks very lumpy, but I suppose still only half way ish till full recovery.
Good to hear from you guys again and glad you doing good! X
Hi Animal!!!!!!, Long time!!!!!!.... this is like a family reunion!!! . I had to ask myself , did you write that or me??? I am the same, my foot still swells, when I am on it for about 2 hours and I limp like the "Hunchback from Notre Dame", in a very bad way.... I feel I will be a good candidate for the screw outta my heel. It does cause great discomfort. back to Ruth...Never ever even heard of a fiture fracture, I need to look that up!!!!!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfoot nomore View Post
I'm getting my 3 screws out on the 22nd of july (12 days )...I'm nervous because it will only be a little over 5 months but the screw they put in for my bone graft is being really troublesome. My Dr. isn't worried about doing it early because i'm in so much pain but I do have to be off my feet for another 2 weeks.
I'm nervous too but it def can't be any worse then what we already went through
Please ! Please !! keep us updated!! I want to know how you will be fairing . I'm sure it will help.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethy5t View Post
Hi! I am getting one of my screws out tomorrow. I think OS might be going to replace it, which i didnt kmow was an option, but maybe that is becausotis is not good to leave a hole. My calcaneal osteotomy was 18 months ago, and my heel, where the screw was inserted, has never been pain free. My problem is that the screw is working its way out and damaging the Achilles tendon. I've heard that a lot of people have problems with the screws, but it wasn't mentioned to me before the surgery. I am having the tendon repaired and a lateral ligament stabilisation as well, so I will have a longer recovery than if I were just having the screw out. Good luck whatever you decide. If you are in pain, I say go for it. I don't think it's a problem that resolves itself.
Hi Amthy5t, thanks for the reply. . If they take my screw out, maybe they can fill my hole can be filled with glue??????? ...of course, i'm joking.

Last edited by vikkio; 07-10-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
(female)

Lol! Must be the Canadian spelling, eh!
I was also wondering if the fill the gap left be the screw with a filler of some sort....anyone know?
I guess I'm lucky, my feet are pretty much the same size now, at the end of a long day my right foot swells a bit, not so noticible to others. As of today I'm no longer disabled! Now I have to park and walk....adding mileage to my poor foot! It's all good!
I hope all the screw removals go well.....it's just an excuse to sit and look pretty for a few more weeks. Though now y'all know better, like where the good ice creams are hidden...and where the kids/hubby hide to avoid hearing your calls for help! Stock up on chocolates and movies while you can!

Old 07-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
(female)

yes. i forgot about that Ruth... I would probably get them removed in October, as im going on a cruise in September and then i can rest . it will be 6 months for me in September, but I know i want them out!

Old 07-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #14
(male)

johnnybee1000 HB User

hi everyone, new here, first time post. nine screws and plate in right heel- been in there 13 years! my pain is really just starting up in the last year, so searching online brought me here. waiting to get some new insurance to see if i should/ can have them removed. anyone had screws in for years?

Old 07-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
(female)

wow Johnny, 13 years?.... im complaining at 5 months .LOL !... everyone I know has had them all taken out, mysister had rods and screws in and they took hers out after a year. do you feel the screws , like are they comming out? can you feel the screws under your skin?

Closed Thread

Tags
calcaneal, fdl tendon transfer