It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
(female)

macykay HB User
Is this more than a pity party? concerns?

I had my triple arthodesis on 4-26-13. I came out of my cast at 5 weeks and my boot at 9 weeks. Walking with 2 crutches until yesterday when I started using only 1. My pain continues and I have needed some pain medication every single day even though I think I have a high pain tolerance. Sleeping is the worst, waking every time I roll over and move my foot. My knee started giving me severe pain 2 weeks ago, therapist said it is due to the alignment of my foot, and hopefully will be temporary. Today I was told that all my toes are wanting to hang down. I have been given exercises to try and correct this. I am starting to wish I had never had the surgery. I am a 58 year old single female and have been active up until now. I hate depending on others for help and find myself breaking down several times a day. I don't really think I am depressed but call it situational blues just because it sounds better. I appreciate any advise or support you can offer me. I just want my life back and I am not sure that will ever happen.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
(female)

Amethy5t HB UserAmethy5t HB UserAmethy5t HB UserAmethy5t HB User
Re: Is this more then a pity party? concerns?

That is a big surgery you had, and you are less than three months out. I think it will take a little more time. If you are in pain, go back to two crutches some of the time and just try short distances with one. Using two will help with the alignment as well. I am useless with one crutch as I have a back problem. For sleeping, have you tried a pillow between your legs? I totally understand about the 'situational blues'. Recovery is hard and can be lonely; i don't think anyone who hasn't had foot surgery can really understand how hard it is. I am recovering from my third foot surgery since 2005. I got really low after the first one because it was more serious than I had anticipated and suddenly I was NWB for four weeks, totally unprepared. It is difficult depending on others for everything, I know, but I imagine your friends are glad to help, as you would be glad to help them. It probably sounds like a cliche, but try to be nice to yourself and do some things you enjoy that are not dependent on your mobility. Hang in there. Take care and rant away here, if it helps.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Amethy5t
Dancing Cat (07-23-2013), Newleftside (07-18-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethy5t For This Useful Post:
macykay (07-17-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
(female)

mnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB User

You have been through a lot, and you're allowed to have pity parties as long as it doesn't consume you. Also you said you still have a lot of pain at times. Pain makes you depressed as well as the pain meds. You're alone and need help don't feel bad for asking for it , I'm sure you would do the same for a friend or family member in need. It's hard to tell others what you are going through, that's why this board is so great so many people going through similar situations and facing the same obsticles. Good luck with your recovery, keep us posted and vent here whenever you feel the need.

Last edited by mnags; 07-18-2013 at 06:39 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to mnags:
macykay (07-18-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
(female)

RuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB User

you really did have major surgery! It takes time.
I think for me the hardest part of recovery was not the NWB stage when I was in just sitting there being so dependent, (thought I despised that!!!) it was when I felt that I should be getting back to myself already. Starting to walk , or try to at least, I was surprised at how frustrating it was, it was (no pun intended) 1 step forward and 9 steps back at times. Each stage though just got to a point where it just clicked and then I was capable of moving forward.
Hang in there!

The Following User Says Thank You to RuthS For This Useful Post:
macykay (07-21-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
(female)

macykay HB User

I am trying to find shoes that I can wear with no luck. What shoes did you wear when trying to learn to walk? I have always wore a size 9 1/2 narrow and none of them will fit my surgical foot, plus my heel is so sore that I cannot have a shoe touch it. I did buy a pair of open back walking shoes in a size 11, but have not even tried them on since bringing them home from the store. So depressing! I found out today that my health insurance will not cover any P.T. I have already had 10 sessions and they recommend MANY more. Personally I know that P.T. is the only thing that is helping me at the present time. I need to get back to work where I am an on location photographer, walking on uneven ground will be very difficult for me. I am trying hard to count my blessings but some days are sooo hard. Thanks for allowing me to vent!

Old 07-23-2013, 02:41 AM   #6
(female)

RuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB User

When I began walking (and to date actually) the only shoes I can wear comfortable are runners. They tie on and feel fine. I did buy a new pair as my foot is now such a different shape. I had a pair of fairly new Merell slipper/shoes, however they have a small lip on the back and my heel still cannot tolerate being touched there. Wearing the runner though doesn't hurt it at all, I loosen it to put it on and have to remember that I cannot just slip it off without really unloosening it either. I was terrified to wear runners at first so it was a nice surprise to find that even thought they tie on they don't touch my heel.
I do have a wedding in 2 weeks, but don't think I'll be able to wear 'nice' shoes yet. I'll try to wear the Merell slipper/shoes, it'll be better than runners I suppose.

Closed Thread