It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
(female)

slinkycat1972 HB User
Smile Recovering from my Osteotomy & Cheilectomy Surgery

Thought I would share my experience for those waiting for similar surgery. A bit about me 1st, Im 40, healthy and very active.
Had my osteotomy, cheilectomy and debridement of my right foot on Sat 6th July. Was really lucky that was 1st on the list to go down at 8.45am, was back on ward at 11am and home for 5pm. I needed this surgery after breaking my big toe 2 years ago, which caused the toe and main joint to seize up, also trapping a nerve and osteo arthritis setting in around the whole joint. They cut from the 1st bend on the big toe up to half way up the 1st metatarsal. 8 stitches and a half foot chalk/cast. Was really painful when physio guys came round to give me my crutches and 'boot'. Was heal weight bearing which was excrutiating to start with because of the positioning of the stitches. By day 3 pain was bearable with codeine,diclofenic and paracetemol, could walk around a lot better needing just 1 crutch. By day 5, could hobble around with no crutches, pain was pretty good, just uncomfortable. Day 9 went to get chalk off and stitches out. Was sooooo soooo painful when they took them out as was 1 continous thread of stitches. Cut was longer than I thought, a lot of bruising and still quite a bit swelling. A small dressing was put on the wound, was pretty angry looking and still quite open. Was allowed to keep the 'boot' on until swelling goes down enough to start wearing normal shoes. Dressing was to stay on for 3 days which I took off last night, and today, day 12, I have to try and start bending the toe by raising my heal off ground several times a day, which as toe and joint are still seized up is going to be pretty painful! Today I also have to put my foot in alternate bowls of cold and warm water, and start applying a vitamin E cream. Only needing painkillers on nightime now. Still a bit uncomfortable to walk as underneath the foot is quite sore from them raking around and I can feel the pull of the stitches when walking. I start my 1st proper physio session next wednesday, which I'm not looking forward to! I go on holiday to Spain in 5 weeks, so hopefully progress and healing will be good so I can get some 'normal' shoes on. Will keep you up to date. Thanks for listening

Last edited by slinkycat1972; 07-18-2013 at 02:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
(female)

slinkycat1972 HB User
Re: Recovering from my Osteotomy & Cheilectomy Surgery

A follow up since my last post. I had my 1st physio session last week which was torture. I have a little bend when taking the big toe back, but no bend at all when bending it forward. I have started using a scar cream as advised by my consultant, but i have also started yesterday smothering my foot in E45 cream as the skin around the scar and the rest of the foot was cracking and was quite painful. I have up til now been wearing the special boot, but I tried some of my normal shoes on this morning as my physiotherapist says i shouldnt wear the boot for much longer as i will end up with other foot problems if i continue to wear it much longer, which is easier said than done when you cant get any other shoes on! I did manage to have 1 pair of trainers that I can get on even though they dont feel too comfy, I still have a fair bit of swelling so they were rubbing when i wore them for 15 minutes today. I am not using my crutches on a daily basis, Im only using 1 when I am out the house and on my feet longer than 30 minutes. My holiday is now only 3 weeks away so I have to hope and pray that things improve dramatically in the next 3 weeks before I go, as I would like to be able to wear some 'normal' shoes! It will be 4 weeks on saturday since my op. Realistically how long before the swelling will go away altogether and before I can walk around with the pain? Thanks so much for any help

Old 07-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Recovering from my Osteotomy & Cheilectomy Surgery

If you are doing exercises at home, I suggest soaking your toe in very warm water first. That will loosen the muscles and make bending the toe easier. I did mine every night in the bath that way. I let as hot a water as I could stand run over my toe and then moved it up and down as I had been shown.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
slinkycat1972 (07-31-2013)
Reply Reply