It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hey19 HB User
PTTD on the other foot

I'm back after 6 and 7 years! I had PTTD surgery on my left foot 7 years ago. I didn't have the surgeon I should have had and wound up with another surgery a year later. NOW, I have what appears to be the same sort of trouble in the other foot. Who out there has had the same thing in both feet? My doctor says it happens about 30% of the time. Just my luck!

Old 07-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
(female)

Hikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB User
Re: PTTD on the other foot

Hi hey19, I just had surgery on my left foot and I'm so afraid I'm going to end up with problems on my right foot because I've having arch pain on that side too. I'm hoping if I can just get through this recovery and lose more weight that I'll avoid that. This is hard! I 'm eight days out from surgery. Good luck to you! What kind of doctor did your first surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
(female)

NewRunner13 HB User

I haven't even had my first one fixed yet, but I have some similar pain on my other foot as well. Like you, I do fear that I may be one of the "lucky" 30%. However, I'm having surgery on my right foot in another week and I'm hoping I can still get many years of use before having to fix the left. The pain on the left hasn't been nearly as consistent or bad as the right. Is your left foot all healed up now? Are you happy you had it done when you did? Good luck to you!

Old 07-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
(female)

Hikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB User

Hi new runner,
I am nine days out of surgery so I have a long ways to go. I found out after surgery that my tendon was torn from the bone so I'm glad I had it done. I wish before surgery I had strapped on a two pound weight and done leg lifts on my back and practiced with a walker nwb. It would have prevented some sore muscles I am still battling . I think the pain is starting to get better though!

Old 07-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hey19 HB User

Sorry I haven't been back to this board since my initial post. We lost our power from a storm, etc. Anyways..... A little background. I'm very active, love to walk and exercise, slender, 55, and I was born with very flat feet. Corrective shoes, arch supports, etc. from a very young age, and I still wound up having the posterior tibial tendon snap in my left leg....torn from the bone like yours, Hikerdreams. I heard it when it finally gave....sounded like a breaking bone. I had the first surgery 7 years ago. The surgeon released me to physical therapy too soon and the bone graft came apart and fused my foot in a deformed way. He tried to tell me I hadn't been aggressive enough in physical therapy and that was why it looked that way and I had no eversion in the foot. Long story short is that I went and picked up the MRI report (which I insisted on having done) and it showed that the graft had failed. Needless to say, I went to a different doctor (one year later) and he straightened out some of the troubles. A few months ago (6 yrs after surgery 2), I was talking to them about further correction on that foot (left) when the right one started to hurt.......all of a sudden. I have been off from work for 7 weeks now, 3 of those weeks waiting to get in to see this foot surgeon. He is verrrrry good, but it takes forever to get an appointment. He knew right away it was the same problem. He put me in a boot for one month, I had an MRI, and I go back to see him this Thursday to get those results and a plan of action. Since I work for the same hospital system where testing was done, I was able to get my hands on the report a few days ago, however. I will let him tell me for himself, but that report didn't look so good. With all this being said, yes, NewRunner13, I'm glad I addressed the issue and felt like I really had no choice anyways.....something needed to be done. I just wish that first surgery had been more successful and my foot wasn't deformed, but hey, I was able to walk after it was all said and done. Right now with this foot, I have to heel-walk, if you can get my meaning, and I can walk pretty well with the supportive boot on. Hopefully, if I have to have surgery, it will go better and I will be able to walk normally one day again. Hikerdreams, tell me what you mean about sore muscles and leg weights, etc. Before the first surgery, I actually did some conditioning at my gym so that I could handle the crutches more easily and be able to use my arms better to scoot up and down the steps......shower is not on my main floor. I was very glad I strengthened those areas. I was able to get around mostly on crutches as a result. Not sure yet what to expect this time...........

Last edited by hey19; 07-22-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
(female)

Hey 19 , my foot really started hurting in December and so I wasn't able to do much for the seven months leading up to surgery. My muscles are fine now but my leg was really sore from lifting my leg with the extra weight of the splint . I wished I had strapped on a two pound weight laid flat on my back and done some leg lifts. I had practiced with crutches but not a walker. I wish I had spent more time practicing being non weight bearing . My. Pec minors are really inflamed and uncomfortable and there's not much I can do because I have to use them now to move. I was sharing that mostly with new runner who hasn't had surgery. How soon did they start pt with you on the surgery that failed? I can't believe you had to go through this twice! Good luck!

Old 07-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

hey19 HB User

Yep, I understand, Hikerdreams. That's why I did the upper body strength training beforehand. No trouble with my upper body and using crutches as a result. Good advice! What I wondered was about the lower body stuff. I didn't anticipate trouble with that area, although maybe I should have....? I was in PT (after Surgery 1 - the failure) at 7 weeks post op. The doctor said, "You're in good shape. The bone graft is 'almost' healed, and you're good to go." I thought the word "almost" sounded like mayyyyybe I should wait longer, but I listened to the doctor as he should know. Hmmm. Lesson learned. BTW, the Surgery 2 made things better but not optimal. I personally think the surgeon should have started at square one and sawed through the malformed fusion. This doctor (more aggressive but in the same practice as Doctor 2) had planned to do exactly that....... but then the right foot started showing signs of PTTD. I'll find out Thursday what Doctor 3 wants to do with the right foot. At the last visit, he was still committed to trying to correct the left foot after resolving the right foot. Right now I'm in limbo. This waiting game isn't fun.......

Old 07-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
(female)

Hmm. My doctor says PT starts at 6 weeks, but they take xrays to make sure the bone is healed. It sounds to me like most doctors recommend starting around that point. I will be make sure to ask if I'm healed and should start. I'd rather be NWB another week or two than have to go through this again. My quad was just really sore the first week from the weight of the splint, but you are probably more fit than I was. I hurt my foot, ultimately, exercising, and so was pretty sedentary for those months leading up to surgery aside from practicing with crutches and some hit or miss strengthening. The best of luck for you. Keep in touch and let us know when you are having surgery. My "good" arch has been bothering me, probably with the strain of having to do all the work now. I am just praying I don't end up having this surgery on the other foot too!

Old 07-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hey19 HB User

You may be younger, and I have also been diagnosed with lupus some years ago........questionable now, but some definite autoimmune issues. Keep exercising......slowly so you don't hurt yourself but build strength. I was told right at the beginning that it would be 8 weeks for me before PT, and then it was less. I really did do well --- No pain, etc., so it seemed logical. Then pre-therapy x-ray, however, said "almost healed" and I should have stopped things right there since the surgeon didn't. But again, as I said..... Who knew? This time (IF I have to have surgery), I will make sure the words "almost healed" are not in the rehab vocabulary, and I'll make sure we take our time. Also, I had NO screws or pins......Just the opinion of the surgeon that I "would do well." I don't criticize my surgeon for thinking that I would be fine, not using hardware, and getting me into therapy sooner rather than later. What I object to is being told it was MY fault for the failure because I didn't pursue PT more aggressively. That was just a lie (confirmed by the MRI report) and perhaps just fashioned to keep a failure off his books. Whatever the case, I'm okay with it. Just plug on and make the best of things I suppose. I will let you know what happens after Thursday. Thanks for your post. Where do you live? How old are you? What kind of surgeon/doctor did you have? Are you having any swelling? Tell me the details.............

Old 07-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
(female)

Hi, Hey19. I hope your day was better than mine. I got my staples out which wasn't too terrible. I took a pain pill before hand, at the advice of people on this site. I got my cast on. She told me I couldn't use my knee scooter for 24 hours, so when I got home we used the wheelchair to get to the bathroom. Then, I said I'd use the walker to go to the living room. It was awful. The wheels of the walker got caught in our plush carpet and it went over forward and I went with it. I put some weight on my cast, and I am scared and horrified that I did that, although it didn't seem to hurt. (
But I had taken another pain pill on the way home from the doctor on the two hour car ride.) Well, I fell onto the walker, hitting both knees and landing on my right wrist. Now everything is sore, including my good hip which is making it harder to stand up from sitting, and my wrist, which I'm hoping I didn't break. I iced my knees and wrist and cast and am praying, most of all, that I didn't screw up my surgery. And I'm trying to be so careful! I am just not too good with this NWB stuff! Hope your day was better than mine.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
(female)

Hi, Hey19. I hope your day was better than mine. I got my staples out which wasn't too terrible. I took a pain pill before hand, at the advice of people on this site. I got my cast on. She told me I couldn't use my knee scooter for 24 hours, so when I got home we used the wheelchair to get to the bathroom. Then, I said I'd use the walker to go to the living room. It was awful. The wheels of the walker got caught in our plush carpet and it went over forward and I went with it. I put some weight on my cast, and I am scared and horrified that I did that, although it didn't seem to hurt. (
But I had taken another pain pill on the way home from the doctor on the two hour car ride.) Well, I fell onto the walker, hitting both knees and landing on my right wrist. Now everything is sore, including my good hip which is making it harder to stand up from sitting, and my wrist, which I'm hoping I didn't break. I iced my knees and wrist and cast and am praying, most of all, that I didn't screw up my surgery. And I'm trying to be so careful! I am just not too good with this NWB stuff! Hope your day was better than mine.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

hey19 HB User

Oh man, what a day, Hikerdreams! Slowing down a bit will likely help, but I do know what you mean about carpeting. I had one of those knee scooters back when so many were being taken off the market for being "unsafe." As careful as I was, I too tripped over the edge of a carpet and down I went. I landed on my "good side," thank God. I was already going slowly, but I slowed down even more after that and it didn't happen again. I was moving at a snail's pace after that...... almost literally...... lol. Well, no my day wasn't any better. I went to the doctor and it looks like it will definitely be a surgical fix for me. I have to try and get out of this boot over the next two weeks and call his office with my progress, or lack thereof. I've been reading about supplements that can help mend tendons and will try some of those, but I truly believe this is too big of a problem. Can't hurt to try over the next few weeks, however. Hope you have a better day today!!

Old 07-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
(female)

I tried everything else too. The cortisone shot was great for four or five weeks! I didn't know there were supplements to help though. Best of luck! Found out yesterday that's tendon was mostly torn from the navicular bone so that's what caused that burning pain I'm sure! Good luck! My foot hurts today but I'm not sure if that's from stepping on it or the removal of twenty five staples and bending it back to get to ninety degrees for the cast. That did not feel good! My wrist is a little tender. It's harder to ride the scooter with the cast! Hugs to you!

Old 07-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

hey19 HB User

I've heard supplements can help heal tendons and ligaments, but I doubt it can help this particular tendon. Just reading and wondering. I'll try anything that won't hurt me worse and seems reasonable. Also wondered if there was such a thing as an artificial tendon they could use..... but NO. I bet in a few years there will be. With all the biomedical engineering going on out there, I hope somebody comes up with something like that. Stay safe on that scooter, and I hope you heal well and quickly!

Old 07-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Hey19: I had pttd on my left foot which was treated conservatively at first but ended up having flat foot reconstruction surgery in Aug of 2010. Since that time I have had two other foot surgeries fixing tears in tendons. I have had pttd on my right foot for about a year now and will be having flat foot reconstruction at the end of August. Waiting until August was my choice but it may have been the wrong decision. Due to compensating with my right leg, I may have a tear in the cartlidge in my knee! Are you at the point of requiring surgery? Was it caught early enough for conservative treatment?

Closed Thread