It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
(female)

jayms HB User
Help!

Hello everyone,I had surgery for a broken heel bone about 3 months ago and i'm starting to walk now but i limp when I walk and I was just wondering how long will it take for me to walk normally again?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User
Re: Help!

I'll preface what I'm about to type with this: Everyone's injury is different.

I had a subtalar fusion, so that could account for a lot of my situation. But, I am almost 1 year out from my injury and I still limp. It is not super noticeable most of the time, but I notice it, and occasionally other people notice.

However, a year out, I have hiked 11 mile mountain trails. I work with kids hiking short trails and playing tag and things like that. I can run/lope for short distances if I need to. I wear flip flops and go barefoot. But I limp doing a lot of it. So, the moral of that is--even if you limp, it's not the end of the world.

I hope that helps with your question!

Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: Help!

I think you will see changes from week to week, I did. You are still early in the healing. 12-18 months to get close to as good as you will get. Though by 4-5 months I was doing alot, but lots of pain with activity, that seemed to get better around 10 months.

I used a can for around 9 months, for distances. PT is the most important thing right now. Even though I could walk without a cane right away, they wanted me to use it to work on my stride. Plus support probably helps with pain.

I am a huge believe in good socks, as almost the most import thing, long term, tied with good boots. I wear light wool hiking socks in the summer. No they are not itchy. I experiment with different ones, but light merino wool hiker socks, are the standby. I like Wigwam, but there are lots of brands. Some times you can find seconds on the internet.

I started out wearing tennis shoes, cause I wasn't strong enough for boots. As I got stronger I found the boots give more support and that is pretty much the only thing I wear out of the house. 8" lace up boots. They got lots of light weight ones now that are built like tennis shoes. At some point you will have to decide between fashion and pain.

Around the house I wear slip on shoes. I can go barefoot, but is better if I don't do it alot. Plantar fascitia seems to get bad when I do it alot. Rolling foot on golf ball or frozen water bottle helps.

For a few months I also wore a compression sock. Tight sock that comes up to knee, that helps with swelling. Wear a sock over it. As your doc. Go to medical supply place for tighter ones, not the ones you get at drug store. Jobst is a common brand, I am sure there are others.

BTW, I think people skip over threads like this cause the title is poor. Good to have calcaneous or heel in it, or atleast the problem. Lots of stuff to search for using those words.

Closed Thread