It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
(male)

Hawksley19 HB User
Exclamation Modified Brostrom Surgery and Recovery Time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here I am with an upcoming date of August 27th 2013 for an scope on my left ankle as well as a modified brostrom procedure. I first injured my left ankle on August 27th 2012. Exactly one year to the day for the surgery date. Crazy!! Misdiagnosed 3 times by military doctors along the way also. Been through extensive physiotherapy the past 12 months, all resulting in this surgery finally. I have had a couple pre-ops already, and today received a letter from the OS, stating that I will be NWB for only 14 days, then FWB at the 2-3 week mark and back to work on restricted/light sedentary duties only. I know this surgery is done differently by all surgeons that perform this on patients, but lets be realistic here, 2 weeks!!?? I clearly DO NOT see this happening. Im thinking I should be NWB 4-6 weeks, and off work for roughly 8-12 weeks at minimum. Am I wrong here? Ive researched a lot of threads and a lot of individual situations and same surgeries with others, and I believe this is a fair and realistic expectation and assumption on my behalf.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User
Re: Modified Brostrom Surgery and Recovery Time

Welcome,
I had ankle reconstruction surgery four weeks ago. I don't know what the procedures were called. I didn't know enough to ask, but I do know that the surgeon operated on my ankle for an hour and a half and fixed the peroneal tendon, as well as the stabilizing ligaments. I left the hospital in a hard surgical splint/cast. I was NWB for the first two weeks at which point I returned to the surgeon to have the splint removed, and dissolvable stitches checked. All was well. The doctor then had one of the techs put me in a cast from my toes to my knee. He said that I could be weight bearing from that day on. He didn't specify whether it should be PWB or FWB, and again, I didn't know enough to ask. When the technician finished putting the cast on he went over cast protocol. He told me that he reccommends continuing to use the knee scooter, and limit the FWB. He said being FWB around the house is fine, but out in public, especially when there's a lot of walking to be done, to continue with the scooter while the cast is on. I've followed his instructions, and I'm doing well. He pointed out that it's easier on the good foot to get around on the scooter as it's a slight push with the foot to move the scooter, whereas with FWB you're putting a lot of pressure on the good foot.
It's just one opinion, but I thought it was a wise move. Like you I thought that being FWB after two weeks was awfully soon.
Good luck with the procedure, and let us know how things go.

Last edited by Pegala; 08-13-2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
(female)

Newleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB User

Others have had the Brostrom procedure done and had the same or very similar protocol as your OS has planned for you and as far as I know they have done well. I was jealous of them be wise a group of us all had basically the same surgery all around the same time (within a few days to a couple of weeks) anyhow some of them were in walking casts and beginning to weight bear at 2 weeks. I had to wait the full 6 weeks before they would even consider letting me put weight on my foot. It all depends on what your surgeon decides is right for you.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:57 AM   #4
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User

Yes, every surgeon is different. I had the scope and modified brostrom and a few other 'bits and pieces'.
I was NWB 3.5wks, then WBAT up to FWB by 4.5wks (with ankle ASO brace and runner during the day only after coming out of plaster at 3.5wks). Was back at work after 6 wks and had to wear the brace and runner up until 12wk mark (only during the day). Then the brace only with 'risky' situations (like the treadmill etc) up until mth 5.
So, it's doable - and everyone's recovery is different too
Best of luck!

Old 08-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

I may be mistaken, but I think the 6 weeks NWB is for when you have calcaneal osteotomies. Heck, I am getting 4 toes fused and surgeon says I can walk out of surgery basically.

Last edited by PesCav; 08-14-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: I hate autocorrect

Old 08-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

That timeline seems about right. The first time I had a modified Brostrom 10 years ago and I was told 2 weeks NWB, and then I progressed to partial, then FWB. That surgery was also was easier than the last one I had in December. I was NWB for 6 weeks, but I had my tendon split to replace my torn ligaments, so the OS was a lot more conservative this time around.

It seems a lot of us have had similar surgeries, but varying post-op rules. In the end, we all end up with better off ankles. I do recommend following what your OS tells you. Of course let pain be your guide, and if you have problems post-op definitely call the office to inquire about your particular problem.

Good luck on your up coming surgery.
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Old 08-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
(male)

Hawksley19 HB User

Thanks for all the info. I will have a better indication tomorrow after yet another pre-op with both my PCN and regular Dr. As a regular force infantry soldier, Im hoping for a longer rather than shorter amount of time off work.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #8
(male)

q870gdb HB User

I had my Brostrom surgery on 30 July and I am now sitting back at my desk, fully weight bearing in an aircast. The surgeon originally wanted me to have 6 weeks of recuperation, but when I went for the check up yesterday, I was fitted for the boot and given instructions not to push it, but I'm OK to put weight through my foot.

I work from a desk so I'm not putting weight through it all that often. Realistically I took about 100 steps yesterday. I have no pain, but my ankle is more or less in a fixed position. I'll start physio in a week or so and imagine this will hurt. I managed to flex my ankle up and down a couple of times in front of the surgeon, and he performed some tests to check recovery.

We're all different, and I'll admit to being somewhat surprised at being allowed to put weight through my foot when I had been expecting at least 6 weeks non weight bearing, but 2 weeks NWB is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Best of luck.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
(male)

Hawksley19 HB User

Interesting enough. Im thinking of requesting the OnQ pain ball to go home with me after the surgery. Im now just 4 days away from the surgery, and feeling anxious and a bit nervous. Wondering just how long Im goingto be off work and off my feet. I cant seem to get a straight answer from either the OS or my military doctor either. Each one gives me different opinions and timelines. And its confusing and disheartening when the Military doctors try to get their sticky fingers in on everything. Doesn't matter what Im told to do or recommended to do by the OS, the military says I do what they say and disregard the advice and what the civilian surgeon says. This whole process has taken place over a full year, and just gets more depressing every day that passes.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
(male)

Hawksley19 HB User

Well, here I am now 3 days post-op. I have to say, its excruciatingly painful. Im full NWB for 14 days, and already have cabin fever. Cant stay focused long on anything to be entertained. The pain is controlling everything. Im just grinding my teeth all day and night to suck it up. But make no mistake, it hurts. The first night after the surgery, I was up all night writhing in pain, even loaded up on meds did not help. I slipped and fell with the crutches when attempting to make i to the bathroom. I cannot possibly describe the feeling that shot through my ankle and entire body when I landed on it. Indescribable!! The 2'nd night I slept great however and limited pain. Im totally exhausted tho now on day 3 and sore from head to toe. Im staying ahead on pain meds, but its merely enough to cut the edge off the pain for me, not eliminate it. Anyway, just thought Id add a quick piece and updae on here. Its just something for me to do to take my mind off other things right now.

The following user gives a hug of support to Hawksley19:
angelee43 (08-30-2013)
Closed Thread

Tags
ankle ligament reconstruction recovery, ankle surgery, modified brostrom, modified brostrom repair