It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User
Pain control following flatfoot reconstruction surgery.

I am having what I hope will be the LAST foot surgery in two weeks. In 2010 I had flatfoot reconstruction surgery on my left foot, followed by several more foot surgeries in the past three years. I am now scheduled to have flatfoot reconstruction surgery on my right foot on Sept. 10th. I have started getting my house ready for my down time. My concern is this. When I had flatfoot reconstruction surgery in 2010 I was kept in the hospital for pain control. When discharged I was given 10mg Percocet. This time, I will be going home after surgery with 5mg Percocet. The surgeon is doing a calcaneal osteotomy, removing the accessory navicular bone, Fdl tendon transfer, repair ppt, repair peroneal tendon and Achielles tendon lengthing. I as seriously concerned about pain control and if I will be able to control it. Any thoughts?

Old 08-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
(female)

bshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB User
Re: Pain control following flatfoot reconstruction surgery.

I would talk to your doctor about the concern. Maybe he has a reason for the lower dose.

Ankle replacement to come soon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I asked him about that and he just said that is what he always prescribes and it is never a problem. Hopefully, he is right and I am freaking out over nothing.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
(female)

Hikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB User

I had flat foot reconstruction too. I went home the next day with Percocet 5 mg. I took two every four hours around the clock for two or three days. About an hour and a half before it was time for my next dose I would start to feel some discomfort but the pain was never terrible. I don't think I was ever in tears over the pain. Just frustration over being nwb and how hard that was at first. It sure is great to be able to put my foot down for balance now at seven weeks. Hope this is helpful! Good luck!

Old 08-29-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah it does make me feel as though I will be able to control the pain. I think part of my nervousness is because I have been through this before and know how long the road to recovery is and the other part is I don't feel as comfortable with the surgeon as I did on the first surgery.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
(female)

proudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB User

I wonder if your Dr meant Percocet 5 mg 1 OR 2 every 4 hours. That would be the typical dose. Percocet does not come as a 10 mg tablet, just 5 mg.

I am having the same concerns about my upcoming reconstruction surgery. I saw a Dr for a third opinion today, and he said they would set me up with a PCA (patient controlled analgesia) via IV line at home. I would have a home care nurse for a few days. I wonder if that's overkill. I did have a PCA in the hospital once for extensive abdominal surgery, and it was effective.

Another thought on the Percocet. If you have any problems with nausea when you take narcotic pain meds, tell the Dr. The Dr may order something like Vistaril or another anti-nausea med. The use of an anti nausea med alone with a narcotic may increase the pain relief you get with your pain pills(percocet).

Hope this makes sense. Best wishes to you!

Old 08-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
(female)

proudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB Userproudgrma HB User

Clarification: taking an anti nausea medication, ALONG WITH a narcotic pain medication may increase the effectiveness of the pain med.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
(female)

Hikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB User

Missyluke, I hear what you're saying about doing this surgery a second time. This is a hard road to recovery and I still have far to go. Meanwhile my right arch is burning from doing all the weight bearing for my whole body. Praying I won't have to go through this again!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
(female)

loveoysters HB Userloveoysters HB Userloveoysters HB Userloveoysters HB Userloveoysters HB Userloveoysters HB User

I have the same worries about my right foot being able to handle all the weight for such a long time. I'm going to ask my OS for a support brace for the right foot to help protect it, if at all possible. Sigh.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:02 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hikerdreams: Putting an arch support on the opposite foot may help with the burning. You can get it online - it cost about $20-$30. Unfortunately when I have had the burning sensation it was never a good thing.

The doctor has prescribed an anti-nausea medication. In the past, I have not had nausea from meds but I am still going to get it as a precaution. Right now it is difficult working because bot$h feet hurt. I am trying to focus on getting everything in my house ready for my recovery.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
(female)

l129 HB Userl129 HB Userl129 HB User

Missyluke, best to you on the upcoming surgery. When I had my surgery, instead of Percocet (the combo of Tylenol and Oxycodone) my OS prescribed Oxycodone 5 mg tablets; Vistaril (generic is Hydroxyzine) 25 mg pills; along with Tylenol 500mg pills.

My instruction sheet from the hospital was to start taking the pain meds BEFORE the pain block wore off. I started with 1 Oxy (5mg) every 4 hours AROUND THE CLOCK for the first 24 hours. I was instructed to take 1 Vistaril every 4 hours with it, as needed, to avoid nausea. Once that pain block wore off, I needed more pain control and was told that I could increase it to 2 Oxy (10 mg total) if needed but the on-call doctor gave me permission to take just the 1 Oxy and increase it to taking it every 3 hours instead of every 4 hours and that worked for me. I took the Oxy/Vistaril every 3 hrs for about the first week.

As far as the Tylenol, I started with taking it just every 8 hours, so with every other dose of the Oxy, but on Days 2-7 had to increase it. I was told it was OK but to be careful and NOT go above the dosage on the bottle. The bottle says not to take more than 6 pills (3000 mg) in 24 hours.

I think that the Vistaril (hydroxyzine) actually helped me because it made me sleepy and allowed me to get a lot of rest within the first few days. The pharmacy sheet that came with it said that Vistaril is an antihistamine and often used for allergies - so, no wonder I was sleepy. It also said that Vistaril is also used short term to treat anxiety or help you feel relaxed after surgery. I will say though that when I increased the Oxy to every 3 hrs - I should have kept the Vistaril at no more than every 4 hrs. I had a few wild dreams during that 1st week - giant bunnies and such. also after a few days - I felt a little light headed and that is a side effect - so I cut back on it and ultimately took the Oxy without it but was glad to have it at first.

In addition to the pain med, I was prescribed one 325 mg of aspirin each day to avoid blood clots and told to take Senekot S if I needed it for constipation (I only took that 2x).

Best of luck to you!
Cuneiform Osteotomy
2 bone grafts
Gastroc Recession
FDL Tendon Transfer to PTT

Closed Thread