It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
(female)

Muddragon HB User
Peroneus Brevis Tendon Surgery and ligament repair for unstable ankle

Hello, I had surgery for a long tear on the Peroneus Brevis Tendone and ligament repair for unstable right ankle on 09/23/2013. I'm 13 days after surgery. I got stitches out on 10th day and was put in a hard cast for 4 weeks. I've been nwb and have another two weeks of nwb. On Oct. 18th I can bare weight on it. Nov. 1 I get cast off and get put in a walking boot for 2 weeks. Then I will have PT for 6 weeks after that.
My question is what exactly is our activity level like? I lay 80 % of the time with my ankle elevated. But I do take baths hanging my cast outside the tub. Wash dishes. Make dinner. and sometimes do arts and crafts with my 3 year old daughter. Am I doing to much?? is it to much to go to the movies at the mall? I'm getting frustrated with how everyone else cleans the house, I want to clean it!
How long until I can do chores around the house?? Is it the WHOLE time I'm in fiberglass cast I just don't know what my activity level is?
also, anyone have full recovery from this surgery? If so how long?
Foot is pins and needle and have pain around incision.
Please share your experience, thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to Muddragon:
1jack (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
(female)

1jack HB User1jack HB User
Re: Peroneus Brevis Tendon Surgery and ligament repair for unstable ankle

I had a knee scooter when I was non weight bearing. I was doing about as much as you are. When I went pwb in my cast, I did more. Just listen to your doc and do what he says. I think your activity level is similar to mine. My surgery was similar and Jan 2013. I am almost back to normal now.

Jacke

The following user gives a hug of support to 1jack:
Muddragon (10-07-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
(female)

Muddragon HB User

1Jack Thank you so much for responding. If you don't mind me asking, did you have an injury or was it wear and tear from a profession or sport that caused your torn tend one?
I have been in pain for a while with doctors misdiagnosing me with planter fascisttis. Finally when they ordered the MRI they found it. We tried to treat it without surgery but failed.
I see your young too.....I'm 37. I can't believe we had this happen to us.
I'm glad to hear your doing better.
I couldn't never get better if it wasn't for family helping me with the house and my. 3 Year old.
I HAVE Pain usually at night. Pins and needles when I get up and the foot fills up with blood. I do have
knee scooter
did it hurt as you started to bare weight on it??? Thanks!

1jack (10-08-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
(female)

Smile Re: Peroneus Brevis Tendon Surgery and ligament repair for unstable ankle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddragon View Post
1Jack Thank you so much for responding. If you don't mind me asking, did you have an injury or was it wear and tear from a profession or sport that caused your torn tend one?

I sprained my ankle approximately 2 years ago working one of my horses. Basically, I stepped in a hole. My doctor misdiagnosed me and I kept telling him I was in pain and he saw the swelling. I had x rays and a mri but nothing really showed up except for some small tears. He did give me several cortisone shots and also did the PRP - platelet rich therapy. That was extremely painful. Do not do it.

I have been in pain for a while with doctors misdiagnosing me with planter fascisttis. Finally when they ordered the MRI they found it. We tried to treat it without surgery but failed.
I see your young too.....I'm 37. I can't believe we had this happen to us.

Thank you for thinking I am young. I am 55. hehehe

I'm glad to hear your doing better.

You will get better too. It just takes time.

I couldn't never get better if it wasn't for family helping me with the house and my. 3 Year old.
I HAVE Pain usually at night. Pins and needles when I get up and the foot fills up with blood. I do have
knee scooter

My knee scooter actually hurt my knee but I had to use it with a pillow. I also had the pins/needles. Use ice and try to get some arnica. Rub the arnica on your toes and your knee/back of the knee. It will make a huge difference. I really think that is what made me comfortable.

did it hurt as you started to bare weight on it??? Thanks!
It hurt when I started to walk on it. But, I was in a walking cast - basically a regular leg/foot cast then I had a shoe that I put on over it. It hurt. It will stop hurting. Then you get your cast off and it will hurt all over again. <grin> Sorry. I was just so glad to get out of the cast and back to my life I really did not care that it hurt again.

Everything will work out. Enjoy the time with your family and 3 year old. Take care of yourself and let them take care of you. This is serious and you want to make sure you heal correctly and completely.

Good Luck!
Jacke

Old 10-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
(female)

Sorry only part of my reply came through.

I sprained my ankle approximately 2 years ago working one of my horses. Basically, I stepped in a hole. My doctor misdiagnosed me and I kept telling him I was in pain and he saw the swelling. I had x rays and a mri but nothing really showed up except for some small tears. He did give me several cortisone shots and also did the PRP - platelet rich therapy. That was extremely painful. Do not do it.

My knee scooter actually hurt my knee but I had to use it with a pillow. I also had the pins/needles. Use ice and try to get some arnica. Rub the arnica on your toes and your kneeand the back of the knee. It will make a huge difference. The pins and needle feeling will go away, also if you have leg cramping. The arnica made a big difference in how I felt. When I used it, I had very little discomfort and when I did not I had leg cramping and pins-needles feeling. You can find it at a health food store.

Good Luck!
Jacke

The following user gives a hug of support to 1jack:
Muddragon (10-08-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
(female)

Muddragon HB User

Jacke I will get the arnica! Thank you! 55 is young:-) I'm glad to hear about your frustrations because mine are the same. I was misdiagnosed with planter facisittis for years....did the orthodics...did the PT...did the brace...the splint...the rolling, etc. I'm glad your feeling better! Are you able to stand on your feet for long periods of time?
Starring at all the stuff that needs to be done in the house is driving me CRAZY. But I'm laying with my leg up 90% of the time. The other 10% I'm bathing, bathroom, or light cleaning....augh..!
How long were you suffering before surgery? I was years! I just kept thinking it was plantar fasicittis. that can take 1-2 years to get rid of.
I had pain all on the outer edge of my foot. From the base of my pinky toe all the way up to the top of my ankle....and along my arch of my foot. Was yours the same? My incision is the whole ankle....but nothing on the outer edge near my pinky toe or arch. I hope he fixed it. The surgeon says that when the tendon is injured like that it causes "trauma" to the whole foot.
Thank you for responding....its nice to relate to someone out there.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
(female)

I actually ended switching doctors right before the surgery because my old doctor just would not listen to me. Then, when he read the MRI he said that he could do it all arthoscophy. My husband is a retired internist cardiologist was extremely skeptical. We started doing internet research and found out the results were not very good for arthoscophy. My new doc did a combination of arthoscophy (for the drilling and cleaning out the cartiledge) and then the repaired tendons I was opened up. I have a pretty little (hehehe) scar from above my ankle down my foot almost to my pinky. Anytime anyone sees it they always say omg what happened. It is not pretty.

I also became extremely frustrated. I think that is pretty common. My husband did pretty well keeping things in their place but the dust drove me nuts. We also have an irobot which hubby used everyday. I took up sewing and took classes on craftsy which helped pass the time. My show shirts that I show in (we have horses) cost $2-4,000 and I learned to make them. It really was interesting learning to sew because my right foot is the one that had the surgery. So I learned to sew left footed which is not typical. Maybe you can think of a skill or something that you always wanted to learn.

My doc fixed the brevis, longus tendons, the deltoid and talifibular ligament and cleaned out the inside of the joint. I had some defects in the joint and hopefully the cartiledge has grown back. But, probably not. You are probably fixed, I would not worry about it. I feel like I am probably 85-90% normal. I am running 3-4 miles a day and usually 5-8 mile on the weekends. I have not gone back to the gym because I had wrist surgery in June and I am still limited on how much I can lift. But I am back working horses and hopefully will be ready to show again in January.

The time really does pass quickly.

Jacke

The Following User Says Thank You to 1jack For This Useful Post:
Muddragon (10-08-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
(female)

Muddragon HB User

Thank you so much Jackie! I looked into that irobot ! I wasn't sure if it could keep up with my yellow labs fur.....love her but her fur.....errrrrrr. It's been a real test not being able to move around.

My orthopedic surgeon said that this tendon when damaged affects all along the side and the base of the pinky toe. He knew where all my pain was coming from...its just The MRI was only the ankle and I hope if there was something by my pinky toe its wasn't missed. Once I start walking again I want to be Healed.

I'm so glad to have meet someone that had a torn perenous brevis tear (right foot) me too! Its unfortunate for us but its nice to know there is someone out there successfully healing:-) Thanks.

I bet those shirts your sewing are beautiful and I just got my husband to get my canon camera and all the dvdsDVDs and books so I can learn how to use it....and I'm gonna learn how to quilt. See if I can find quilting for dummies. Thanks again!

Old 10-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
(female)

That is really interesting. I have talked/emailed several people (including in the waiting room at my docs) and EVERYBODY has torn the right one. I asked my doc about it when he released me and he did tell he has repaired many more right ankles than left. Interesting. Also, the outside of my foot also hurt. My old doc thought I pronated so I needed orthoditics. Which I got but they hurt my ankle so much I could not wear them.

You might want to check out craftsy quilting. They have some free quilting classes that I have taken. What do you like to take pictures of?

This is my second Irobot. My first one lasted about 6-7 years and we had 3 rotties in the house! It was the base cheapy model. And, I loved it. My dogs would bark at it then finally gave up and accepted it. My new one we got a couple of years ago. It is a fancy one with programming. It just runs itself. We have a standard poodle now (all the rotties are in heaven) and the house really stays clean. I just do one room at a time. Also, do not watch it. You will think it is not doing a very good job but it sorta memorizes a room and will eventually get everything. I love mine.

Jacke

Old 10-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
(female)

I told my husband about you. And, he reminded me when I started weightbearing I had a new friend - Ilean Walls. You will get to know her, too. <grin> Also, I had a problem with swelling probably because I was too active and I did not want to keep my foot up. hehehe

You will do Great! Have fun quilting and learning your camera. The time will pass.

Jacke

The Following User Says Thank You to 1jack For This Useful Post:
Muddragon (10-08-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
(female)

Muddragon HB User

Oh my gosh! Everything your saying is my story exactly! So I went to podiatrist after podiatrist all saying planter fasicitis.....cortisone shots and orthodics, etc,etc. I stuck it out with one podiatrist just because he gained my trust and he was just so genuine. Boy did I cry to him and he would just give me anti inflammatories (naproxen) and talk about stretching and rolling my foot. He kept saying I had to wear my orthodics because a purnunsed(sp) on my outer foot, but they killed my ankle as well. Well, one night I was working in the office with my husband in an office chair and had my legs crossed and the pain my ankle felt was a deep, hot, dull ache level 10. I called the doctor in the morning crying, he ordered the MRI. Found the tear on my pb tendon. He immoimmobilized me for 6 weeks NWB! He said I may need surgery but it was worth a shot to try and heal it naturally. So 6 weeks NWB in CAM WALKER. I did it then did CAM walker weight bearing for two weeks. Then tried the sneaker. PAIN was back! Called doctor and he said I was a surgery candidate.....augh! After all that.

So I went to a highly recommended OrthoPedic Surgeon. He spent 5 minutes with me after looking at the MRI and drew a dot on my ankle and yanked on it and watched this dot that was center on my ankle bounce all over my foot. He said I needed surgery and this ankle was unstable and no Cam walker would heal this ankle just surgery. So now here I am 15 days after the surgery.

I wish I had surgery sooner....but I would of wondered if it could of healed naturally.

I spent thousands on boots, ice packs, infra heat, chiropractic care, a whole shoe collection of Orthoheels ($120) a pair.

Not to mention I waited on trying to have another child because of the agony my ankle/foot was in. We are hoping this heals and I can be so blessed to have another child.

The quality of life was not what I was used too. MY husband and I are outdoor lovers We boat, hike, explore, renovate homes, garden, we are busy people to say the least.
I take photos of landscaping, nature, animals and kids:-) I will check out craftsy.

oh and I never had like an injury (exact injury) I do remember one time I had my daughter in a stroller walking down a country road I twisted my ankle on uneven pavement and it did hurt. I was wearing those skeecher shape ups.....I was injured enough that when I got home I threw the sneakers away because the made me feel so unstable. But as the days and years went on it just got worse.......

Thanks,
Kellie

Last edited by Muddragon; 10-09-2013 at 05:08 AM.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
(female)

My situation was very similar to yours. My old doc was a podiatrist and was a close family friend. But I went to him for over 2 years with the same pain with my ankle. Then, I was walking my horse and took a step backyard. I fell down and when I tried to get up I could not bear any weight on it. I understand the pain you went through. The next day I went to my old doc and he put me in a boot and told me no weightbearing. We almost had to beg for another MRI. The whole situation was crazy. In looking back, we do not know why we stayed with the old doc for so long. Like you, when you trust someone you really believe they are doing the right thing. Anyway, when I was in for the MRI the tech remembered me. And, suggested that I go see my new doc. It really was the best decision I could have made. It also made us investigate treatment, doctors, etc. If my old doc was not a family friend, we probably would have sued him for malpractice. We also spent many thousands of dollars. I should have had surgery when I did the first MRI. Anyway, that is the past. And, I or you can not do anything about it.

You are on the right course. The next big thing you are going to go through is walking. You are active like I am. For me, I only had pain in walking for the first hour or so. But, I was unsteady so that is the reason why I leaned on walls. (ILean Walls - friend hehehe) After you start walking again, then the next painful thing is the rehab. You have to build up your leg muscles again. That is very difficult. My leg was so skinny when I got out of the cast. But, rehab will help and hurt. Sorry.

By the way, you would love where we live. Our ranch is in the middle of a deer preserve outside Houston. We have all kinds of wildlife. It sounds like we have alot of similar interests. Sorry, we had to "meet" this way. But, I think you are on the right track and everything should work out. You really are almost there. By the way, my doc said that this surgery is usually easier on physically fit people. And, it takes about 9-12 months to get completely over it. My only problems that I have is in the morning, my ankle is still a little stiff. It is difficult for me to get my cowboy boots on because of my heel/ankle bend. And, I just started wearing high heels. My husband calls them spikes - stilettos. :~))) Ok - my surgery was 1/10/2013 and I finished rehab the end of April. I had my choice of continuing rehab or doing it on my own and I decided to do it on my own. I was supposed to have 2 4 week sessions of rehab. I did not feel like I needed the second set and my rehab person agreed with me. So, probably by January-February 2014, you should be where I am now. That is not so far off. Start planning for the new baby! <grin>

Jacke

Susan

Old 10-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
(female)

Muddragon HB User

Hey Susan,
Today I stubbed my toe and fell while on crutches. I wasOK but I'm just losing my patience trying to get around. It's just to hard. I'M 21 DAYS NWB. This Friday I can start to bare weight on my cast. I was wondering when you started to bare weight were you able to do more? Or is it, yah your walking but just to go to the bathroom?? Or will I be able to do more?
I miss giving my daughter bathes, cleaning, walking,cooking, etc. All the small things.......I can't believe how hard this recovery is.....its sooooo hard

1jack (10-14-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
(female)

patish6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddragon View Post
Hey Susan,
Today I stubbed my toe and fell while on crutches. I wasOK but I'm just losing my patience trying to get around. It's just to hard. I'M 21 DAYS NWB. This Friday I can start to bare weight on my cast. I was wondering when you started to bare weight were you able to do more? Or is it, yah your walking but just to go to the bathroom?? Or will I be able to do more?
I miss giving my daughter bathes, cleaning, walking,cooking, etc. All the small things.......I can't believe how hard this recovery is.....its sooooo hard
I agree. It is terrible recovering with young children. I sprained my ankle sept. 6 and down to one crutch finally and today was my first decent mostly manageable pain free day. It is so hard to recover with a three year old! I took my 6 year old clothing shopping and used my knee scooter. It was so much fun! I was in too much pain and exhausted before.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #15
(female)

Hi Kellie,
At the doc's when he gave me permission to start pwb, I tried and it hurt like hell. We went to lunch afterward and then Sam's to shop. I still had my knee scooter and used it. By the time, we got home I was leaning on walls because I was unsteady but it did not hurt that bad. By the evening I was doing stuff. So, I think you should probably be similar. But, I am not joking, it will hurt bad. My main problem was when the put the cast on my leg had already lost alot of muscle tone. I dont know if you will be like that. Then, when I got the cast off, my leg was really bony looking with skin draped on it. I had to work on getting muscle back. Also, you probably need to ask about swelling. I did swell inside my cast. When I walked alot, I could feel the swelling and had to put my foot up. Eventually that went away. By the time I had my cast taken off, I had no swelling and my cast was extremely loose around my leg/foot.

I am thinking with your cast on you should be able to do more with your daughter. I could not get my cast wet so you need to ask about that. I got a cast cover (at the drugstore) which was great. They last for about a week or two.

I am excited for you!!! You are doing so well. Dont try to do too much. Believe me you will feel it.

Jacke

Closed Thread