It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

I have gallstones but several strange symptoms - HELP!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
tiredandlooking
(female)

tiredandlooking HB User
Exclamation I have gallstones but several strange symptoms - HELP!

Ok so I've been dealing with this for about 3 years now. I have had strange abdominal pain on right AND left side; front AND back. Sometimes feels like a band of pain/tightness. Anyhow, I have had a couple ultrasounds and CT scans(some with and some without contrast) and have confirmed that I have gallstones. I have had a myriad of blood tests, EKG(just in case) and scans over the past couple years especially. I am due to consult with a surgeon next week to discuss possible gallbladder removal. I actually just went to the ER today from pain and all the strange symptoms. They did an ultrasound just to make sure gallbladder wasn't inflamed or a stone lodged that they could see. Gallbladder was not inflamed and walls of gallbladder weren't thickened. So anyhow, is it possible that just the mere fact that I HAVE gallstones cause the upper digestive symptoms I have? In addition to the scans and blood work I also recently had an endoscopy which was clear. Here are a range of symptoms that I've had over the past 2-3 years:
-Left side pain up under rib area
-Right side pain up under rib area
-Pain/tightness between shoulder blades(travels up or down too at times)
-Gurgling feeling/sound in left and right side
-Occasional itchiness in upper body
-Occasional flushed feeling in face/upper body
-Feeling hot yet not feverish(I check my temperature)
-"Swollen" feeling in my abdomen, right and left side like organs are "crunching" together(this presents occasionally at night when I've been laying on one side or the other for a long period and sometimes when I lie on my back)
-EXCESSIVE BELCHING(like seriously, I can just wake up and already have belching when I haven't eaten or drank anything, IF I do eat or drink...same belching).
-Occasional diarrhea
-Occasional oddly dry skin on face
-nausea
Again...all these aren't constant. They've been off and on for the past few years but I tried to include anything I could think of.

Last edited by tiredandlooking; 04-20-2017 at 08:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
miniguy
(male)

miniguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB User
Re: I have gallstones but several strange symptoms - HELP!

I had multiple small gallstones, minor right side discomfort, no major pain. Most annoying symptom was nausea, big time. Reflux seemed worse also. Nausea resolved over time after removal, all is well.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #3
tiredandlooking
(female)

tiredandlooking HB User

Thanks, I've read many different symptoms on the boards and I just saw my GI doc yesterday. He is wanting me to look further into gallbladder only if I have the typical stabbing/right side pain of a 'traditional' gallbladder attack. So I'm seeing a surgeon next week because last time I visited ER they gave me his name in case I wanted to get a consult with him. I visited the ER two nights ago and ultrasound showed that gallbladder was not inflamed and walls weren't thickened. So normally they don't rush into surgery if that's the case. I'm wondering if I have to have those things happening in order for the pain to happen or if having large gallstones(confirmed by ct scan and ultrasound) alone can cause the pain to happen.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Yes, one small gallstone can cause all of this and is grounds to have it out. The stones are spiney. And it hurts when the gb constricts to spew bile into your digestive system and the spines stick into the inside of your gb. You are way past time to have this thing out. Please do so. Don't wait till it gets inflammed. I know 2 people who died from ruptured gallbladders and one who almost did.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:07 AM   #5
miniguy
(male)

miniguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB User

I never ever had the intense stabbing pain of an attack, just minor URQ discomfort and nausea. Both my GP and surgeon said this was not an emergency but it could be if a small stone became trapped in a bile duct. The symptoms would come and go, eventually I became tired of the discomfort and had it out. They will also not guaranty that this is your problem, but will say it likely is the cause, hence it is called the "practice" of medicine........

Reply Reply

Tags
digestive problems, gallbladder, gallbladder experiences, gallbladder pain on right and left side, gallstones