It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

Belly button incision still tender?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2017, 06:32 AM   #1
abrown9
(female)

abrown9 HB User
Belly button incision still tender?

I'm 5 weeks post op and all my incisions look great but my belly button is still sore. Is this normal?

I stupidly wore shorts with a higher waist band yesterday and it fell right at my belly button. Well last night and this morning the belly button feels bruised. I think the shorts really hurt it.

How long does it take for this incision to feel normal again?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Belly button incision still tender?

Hi Abrown,
I am having the same problem but its rotating from the larger incision under my breasts to the one at my belly button. My belly button one is actually 1/4 inch above my belly button, not in it, because I had other surgeries through the belly button and there was too much scar tissue. Is yours actually in the belly button?

Either way, it takes awhile...months. I remember having my tubal (through the belly button) it hurt for about 3 months off and on. The shorts you wore probably did aggravate it; my suggestion is that if you have to wear pants that rub the area, put a bandaid on it for the day.

I actually went back to my surgeon yesterday about the higher, larger incisioin. It is not healing the other ones are....he told me to start using silicone strips on it, which after only 24 hours seem to be helping. It also helps with the itchiness Im experiencing. I bought the scar away brand- so far I like it. I was using Meloderma, and saw absolutely no difference in the 8 days I used it and it wasnt soothing the area like the silicone strips are. Maybe try that? They work like a bandaid, but have treatment on them which is reusable....you wash it and reapply daily.

Sorry you are having pain. But, you are not alone!!!

Hugs,
Nik

Old 05-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #3
abrown9
(female)

abrown9 HB User

Ahhh okay that makes me feel better. I keep reading the belly button takes much longer to heal but it never said exactly how long. My top incision is still a little sore to touch, but man, my belly button feels legitimately bruised.

It also feels "hard" right under the skin/belly button opening? where the incision is, do you know if that's normal? It doesn't LOOK bad at all, you wouldn't even know I had an incision there if you look at it. I'm wondering if it's just scar tissue forming or where they sewed me back up is just tougher feeling than the surrounding skin?

But the incision is actually in my belly button. I think it's worse because my belly button has always been pretty small and deep, so the glue and incision itself is very hidden. Like I said, you literally can't even see it. I tried getting some of the leftover glue out because I was wondering if that's causing some of the pain-but oh my goodness I almost threw up while digging around in there. Yuck. Lol.

But yes, I learned my lesson. Normally I had been unbuttoning my pants and shorts if they were too tight around the belly button. But yesterday I didn't and I think it just sat on the belly button putting too much pressure on the incision. It's already feeling better but it's definitely still tender.

I'm glad the strips seem to be working better for you. I haven't or anything in mine, my surgeon never really said what to do except to pick off the leftover glue. I hope yours starts healing and feeling better soon!!

Talk soon, hugs!
abrown

Old 05-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #4
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi again. I have the same hard feeling under my incision; both from my laproscopic tubal 5 years ago and from this surgery, above my belly button.
Its definately scar tissue and it feels weird even after my tubal incisions healed years ago. I think it stays that way...

I cant see my scar in my belly button at all....hoping not to see the rest of these scars in a few years too.

My doctor isnt a big fan of meloderma, but did say that silicone helps with itching and healing, so I decided to give it a try....it is helping.

Hey, guess what? I had a slice of pizza for dinner! I wanted to eat 3 or 4 slices, but I was sooo happy to eat one. Next week I add wine! Or vodka! Either one will work!
Have a good night!
MSnik

Old 05-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #5
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

YEA! Glad you are better....both of you. My belly button incision healed pretty easily but I make a point to wear stretch pants or ones with a side or back zipper so there was nothing pressing against it. The one under my breastbone was the painful one because I couldn't find a bra that hit me right. Had to settle for sports bra every now and then. I'm only 5'2" so don't have a long torso!

Old 05-20-2017, 05:59 AM   #6
abrown9
(female)

abrown9 HB User

Yay MSNik!! I'm so excited for you. It feels GREAT eating something fatty and delicious, doesn't it?

Did you have any ill side effects?

I've had both wine and vodka (they made me a vodka martini instead of gin), and I did fine with both of them. I definitely think our doctors were right about not drinking until we are eating more. That first glass of wine I had probably wasn't the best idea in hindsight. I was only like 1.5 out from surgery lol geesh.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #7
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again. It was only one piece of pizza, but no- no side effects until this morning when I did my morning bathroom routine where everything pours out of me. This is becomming my new normal. I guess it could be allot worse- it could happen minutes after eating it!

I was always bad with bathroom issues, probably from my MS; however, since the Gb removal, now I have the big D every morning as soon as I wake up. Its crazy.....I have gained back an entire pound this week though..so at least the calories Im taking in are starting to stick over night!

Wine and vodka are my two go-to drinks if Im going to drink....I dont know why I havent actually tried either of them thus far, but its on the list of things to do this upcoming week.

I hope your belly button is feeling better today. Try not to aggravate it!

Hugs,
MSnik

Reply Reply