It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2002, 06:10 PM   #1
Inactive

rnmcd HB User
Question How does one's life change after gallbladder removal?

Can a person live an active life after gallbladder removal?

Does this surgery significantly change one's life?

Someone close to me is having their gallbladder removed.

Thank you.

Old 08-09-2002, 07:40 PM   #2

Moonsdust HB User
I had mine taken out a few years ago. The only significant thing I noticed was this: Watch the greasy food! For some reason, anything with ANY type of grease, butter, oil, burgers.... goes right through you. Eventually this seems to go away, at least it did for me. Good luck to your friend.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2002, 08:22 PM   #3

Oma HB User
Nothing changes, except some people do have fats go through a little quicker. Yea!! It does not happen to everyone. It used to be a really big deal for surgery. Now it is nothing. there are three microscopic instruments put 1 inch above navel one at right side at the site of the gallbladder and one above the pubic region. Usually none require a stitch. There will be a bandaid. The most pain, or discomfort will be from the gas they put in your body to move the organs around to see the gallbladder and move the liver and bile ducts out of the way. Then there can be discomfort in the shoulders and since the diaphragm has been moved up, you feel like you can't breathe as well at times. If you feel that way, ask for oxegen and they will give you a little. The gas you already have in the belly needs to come out tho, and will with belching and expelling gas through the rectum. Should go home in about 12 to 23 hours, depending how you are doing and if they are short of beds. Oma

Old 08-10-2002, 02:06 AM   #4
Inactive

Erica1 HB User
Hi there,

I had mine taken out at the age of 18. These days most people are able to have them removed by laser surgery and it's quite simple and much less painful. However, mine was too far gone so mine was removed the "old fashion" way.

Basically this didn't change my life much at all. The main thing it changed was no more attacks!!! yayyyy!! I am now 29 years old and I barely remember it.
I must agree with the above posts about watching the greasy foods etc.

I'm sure your friend will pull through fine, this is a very simple and rarely risky surgery.

Erica

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

Old 08-12-2002, 09:21 AM   #5
(female)

cooki HB User
I also had my gb removed. It was great when it was finally taken. I havent had any problems I eat what I want and do everything and more. I know before I had it removed I was eating VERY little because just about anything I ate gave me an attack, I finally went in for an emergency removal and now Im good as new. Erica Im so sorry you had to have it done the old fasion way. They got mine out the easy way. But really have it out as soon as possible not only will your life go back to normal, its dangerous to let it go. Let us know how your doing!
Take Care
~Cooki

Old 08-12-2002, 01:33 PM   #6

mfry32 HB User
Please don't do what I did. I waited almost
too long to have my gall bladder out. The doctor said
I did not realize how close I came to dying. The reason being that the liver is next to the gall bladder
and my liver was soo infected. I did have diarhea so
bad for about 6 months after surgery that I was afraid
of leaving my house. Now, things are great. I'm better off without it. I did have mine done the old
way but I was up walking the day after surgery.
Good luck.

Old 08-13-2002, 01:26 PM   #7

YadaYada HB User
Had mine removed in January 99. No problem at all and I was much better afterward. It does not affect the life span or life style at all.

It's a very simple procedure -- not to worry.

Closed Thread