It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2004, 03:26 PM   #1

Beethoven_00 HB User
Unhappy Gallbladder removed friday but still nauseas, how long till better, please help me!

I am a 19 year old male and I had laparascopic gallbladder surgery this friday morning. Immediatley after surgery I felt a difference, for about an hour afterwards I was estatic that the cure had been found, I felt great only being sore from the inscisions. Then the nausea started. My symptoms prior to surgery had been chroinic nausea almost all the time, or just feeling generally ill with more severe pain after eating. A more detailed writeup can be found posted a while back. Basically a polyp on an ultrasound led to my diagnosis and the doctor said he found the crystal polyp and a few other crystals inside and he figured my syptoms should resolve now that the gallbladder has been removed. I am just frightened to death of my problems not clearing up entirely. I feel so miserable from surgery that it is hard to tell if I am getting better. When I eat now I don't think I get the same sort of attack, i think, but I feel so sore from eating its really hard to guage properly. I don't seem to have little burps after eating, which is a small improvement. I can deal with pain after surgery but I still have naseau the thing that I hate the most. I know it is supposed to take some days before the apetite is back to normal after surgery but does having a poor apetite mean you feel nauseous. I stopped taking tylenol 3 saturday night and started having bowel movements yesterday evening so I'm not sure constipation or drugs could account for the nausea. It's just so hard to deal with because I felt chronicly nauseous before surgery and now to feel it afterwards is a worst nightmare. I know lots of people feel nauseuos after surgery but I was hoping that aspect would dissapear immeditaley after surgery. Did anyone else experiece nausea while recovering after surgery? Is that what they mean by diminished apetite? I am sure that struggling with these problems for 4 years my system will take time to sort itself out but how long before I start to feel naseous free. Please any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to Beethoven_00:
redcorvette (10-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 06:39 PM   #2

cookieWI HB User
Re: Gallbladder removed friday but still nauseas, how long till better, please help me!

I had my gallbladder taken out a week ago and I still feel about as bad as a did before. I've been reading that for some people it can take several weeks or more for your digestive system to adjust to the change. I finally figured out today that what I'm eating is making me feel sick. I don't eat nearly as much as I did before the surgery, and I've figured out that if I eat anything more exciting than a sandwich...that makes my stomach spasm. Unfortunately it took me a week to figure that out. So, give yourself a lot more time before you feel the surgery didn't work. I can't tell if my prior symptoms are gone, either, because I have been feeling so miserable. So, starting tomorrow I'm eating just the most basic bland stuff and I'll let you know if that helps me....maybe it'll help you, too. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2004, 11:24 PM   #3

carebear73 HB User
Re: Gallbladder removed friday but still nauseas, how long till better, please help me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beethoven_00
I am a 19 year old male and I had laparascopic gallbladder surgery this friday morning. Immediatley after surgery I felt a difference, for about an hour afterwards I was estatic that the cure had been found, I felt great only being sore from the inscisions. Then the nausea started. My symptoms prior to surgery had been chroinic nausea almost all the time, or just feeling generally ill with more severe pain after eating. A more detailed writeup can be found posted a while back. Basically a polyp on an ultrasound led to my diagnosis and the doctor said he found the crystal polyp and a few other crystals inside and he figured my syptoms should resolve now that the gallbladder has been removed. I am just frightened to death of my problems not clearing up entirely. I feel so miserable from surgery that it is hard to tell if I am getting better. When I eat now I don't think I get the same sort of attack, i think, but I feel so sore from eating its really hard to guage properly. I don't seem to have little burps after eating, which is a small improvement. I can deal with pain after surgery but I still have naseau the thing that I hate the most. I know it is supposed to take some days before the apetite is back to normal after surgery but does having a poor apetite mean you feel nauseous. I stopped taking tylenol 3 saturday night and started having bowel movements yesterday evening so I'm not sure constipation or drugs could account for the nausea. It's just so hard to deal with because I felt chronicly nauseous before surgery and now to feel it afterwards is a worst nightmare. I know lots of people feel nauseuos after surgery but I was hoping that aspect would dissapear immeditaley after surgery. Did anyone else experiece nausea while recovering after surgery? Is that what they mean by diminished apetite? I am sure that struggling with these problems for 4 years my system will take time to sort itself out but how long before I start to feel naseous free. Please any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
I had my gb taken out 3 months ago.. You should be careful what you eat so your body wont go into a shock so to speak. It is major abdominal surgery. I had gas and nausea for nearly a week.. I believe it was due to the anesthetic. Just stick to a low fat diet for a while. Almost basically as before isn't it.. ? Soup is good, yogurt, puddings for the first couple days. It affects everyone differently.. some people can eat right away. I stuck to a low fat diet for 4 weeks just to be on the safe side. I didn't have really much of an appetite either after surgery. I don't have the pain anymore or nausea, or headaches.. but now I do have something different... Anyways, make sure you walk around as much as you can... to get rid of the gas and get the blood circulating.. By day 10 you should feel alot better.

The Following User Says Thank You to carebear73 For This Useful Post:
redcorvette (10-28-2011)
Old 01-19-2004, 11:49 PM   #4

coley91 HB User

I also had my galbladder out a while ago. Took me a good two weeks to start feeling really good again. Honestly, I couldnt go back to work until about two weeks after. Give yourself time to heal. Good luck.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:52 AM   #5
Inactive

maak823 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coley91
I also had my galbladder out a while ago. Took me a good two weeks to start feeling really good again. Honestly, I couldnt go back to work until about two weeks after. Give yourself time to heal. Good luck.

Ditto- took me over a month to feel normal after the surgery, however; had the digestive "side effects" for almost a year. Be careful not to eat anything greasy or fatty until your body adjusts. Also, make sure you follow up with your surgeon- sometimes there are things that are "missed" during surgery and can only be detected with an MRI.

Good Luck To you!

Old 01-20-2004, 12:40 PM   #6

Beethoven_00 HB User

Thanks for all the supportive comments. I am still eating very lightly, low fat and bland. I am just so depressed and anxious and I can't seem to focus on anything other than the nausea, this said I do not vomit. For others was the nausea unremitting after surgery. Carebear 73 we have talked before. You too suffered with similar symptoms and I am so sad to hear that you still have problems and I have been keeping up with your story on the boards. How was your nausea level before and after surgery and did it just go away one day or how did it diminish. It's been 4 or 5 days at a fairly constant level. I am as I'm sure many are, sick of being prisoners in thier own bodies. Since I have been chronically ill so long does it take a while for my brain to take notice? I am going to the doctors tommorow to ask about some anti-depressents and discuss some of my negative thoughts lately and the unremitting nausea and I will be sure to keep people posted. In the past for a while I took Apo-Amitriptyline and it seemed to help a little, if even just with mood. On thursday I will be going to the surgeon and I will ask him if this nausea is to be expected. However any further comments would be appreciated. I wouldn't be worried if I went from feeling descent to feeling nausious, I would just consider it recovery, its the fact I went from feeling chronically nausious to still more chronically nausious that I begin to wonder will I ever recover. Just a side question in addition to the surgery one, are thier any medications that help with nausea and anxiety/depression?

Old 01-20-2004, 10:06 PM   #7

suzi47cmt HB User

I feel so bad for you. I think I hate nausea worse than ANYTHING, except excruciating pain that is, LOL.

Hon, here is what I do......first eat the BRAT diet, that is bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. NONE of these will give you nausea, and it will be a really nontoxic, noninvasive type of diet. Eat it for 2-3 days and see how that goes. If you absolutely cannot tolerate it that long. You can also try eating just plain cooked rice (not minute rice), and/or PLAIN mashed potatoes WITHOUT any dairy products like milk, butter or cheese. You may also add some PLAIN chicken breast without skin, bake it, broil it, or microwave it.

I have suffered from crohns disease for 30+ years, and these old standbys have always helped with my nausea. It was REALLY helpful about four years ago when I had the very same surgery as you my dearie.

Take care of yourself. Hope we all helped you in one way or another.

Suzi

Old 01-30-2004, 03:34 PM   #8
(female)

Maryilee HB User

[QUOTE=Beethoven_00]Thanks for all the supportive comments. I am still eating very lightly, low fat and bland. I am just so depressed and anxious and I can't seem to focus on anything other than the nausea, this said I do not vomit. For others was the nausea unremitting after surgery.

I had my gallbladder out on 1/6. I didn't eat for a week afterwards other than a few bites...literally. However, that had more to do with complications from the intubation for anesthesia. I had nausea and vomiting the night of the surgery and had the most horrendous sore throat. When I was vomiting, bright red blood was coming from the back of my throat. (sorry if TMI!

I was discharged the next day even though I had not had more than a few ice chips. The soft palate at the back of my throat was totally raw feeling and just about everything hurt when I tried to swallow. Even a tiny piece of chocolate that I figured would just dissolve in my mouth, felt like I was trying to swallow battery acid. Then, when I would try to eat something soft and bland like mac & cheese, it would get stuck in my throat and I couldn't swallow. It turned out i had esophageal swelling (had to go get a nasolaryngoscopy, which is not pleasant in the hands of an ER doc). It was over two weeks before that completely resolved. However, after reading all these posts, maybe it was a blessing in disguise because it gave my digestive system almost a complete rest.

Old 01-31-2004, 09:51 PM   #9
(male)

hallmatt HB User

Maryilee,

Never TMI on these forums. I think most of us have either read so much about our conditions that nothing phases us. And the new people will catch on to that quickly!

Would you done anything differently to avoid the bad intubation? In other words, any advice for somebody who is, say, going in next Friday for the same thing and would like to avoid them messing up their throat since they've had very few problems from the stomach up??

I don't look forward to things down my throat at all. I could deal with the other end, but not the throat.

Thanks for more great info about your experience! Believe me, you are making at least one person less worried about it.

Old 02-01-2004, 10:48 AM   #10
(female)

Maryilee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallmatt
Maryilee,

Never TMI on these forums. I think most of us have either read so much about our conditions that nothing phases us. And the new people will catch on to that quickly!

Would you done anything differently to avoid the bad intubation? In other words, any advice for somebody who is, say, going in next Friday for the same thing and would like to avoid them messing up their throat since they've had very few problems from the stomach up??

I don't look forward to things down my throat at all. I could deal with the other end, but not the throat.

Thanks for more great info about your experience! Believe me, you are making at least one person less worried about it.
I wouldn't actually worry too much about the throat thing...it's must be very uncommon because I can't find anything about it on the web. I did many searches using different key words but didn't find a single thing about it being a danger. Also, I work as a respiratory therapist (at the same hospital I had my surgery at...the anesthesiologist won't look at me in the hall now <g>) and I've never seen anyone with the same problem even after some really traumatic intubations.

My only advice is to be sure move around a bit after surgery. I always turn onto my sides and sleep that way. It's painful to get into that position at first, but I think it helps with gas pains. I had very minimal gas pains from the CO2 used to pump up the abdomen. I attribute it to not lying in one position post-op. I've also always done that after my c-sections and seemed to recover pretty fast.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 02-03-2004, 10:41 AM   #11

carebear73 HB User

Hi there... How are you feeling? Are you still feeling nauseated? I think it took close to 2 weeks for the nauseated feeling for me to be gone completely. I was very worried about it and I think the anxiety made it worse. I suffer from generalized anxiety disorder. If you would like to talk about that let me know and you can post on the anxiety board and I will respond. I personally don't take anything for my anxiety after a very bad reaction to paxil. On occasion I do take ativan... only if my symptoms are very bad. Good to take stress vitamin B and vitamin C and use positive thought replacement. I know what it is like to only be able to focus on one thing and it seems to make the pain worse or the feeling worse. It is very scary. I don't know if it is a good idea to take any anxiety medications just after abdominal surgery since alot of them can upset your stomach. My nausea level was a little worse after my surgery. But it did clear up. Sometimes it takes a while to get the anesthetic out of your system as well. Different people have different reactions to it as well. I do know it can make people fairly sick though. I am still having alot of problems particularly with the stomach aches in the morning and constant achiness under my ribs where my gb was. Sometimes I wonder as well if my brain hasn't really noticed or if it is just going to take a while for my body to adjust not having an organ. I do still burp constantly, but the stomach aches in the morning is a new problem that I never had before the operation. Let us know how you are doing and keep us posted. We are all thinking of you. *hugs* Carebear

Old 02-09-2004, 12:01 AM   #12

Beethoven_00 HB User

Well thanks so much for the support Carebear. Unfortunatley I have no good news. The only thing that is encouraging is that my nausea, general ill feeling and pain/discomfort after eating seem to be back to pre surgery levels. I still pray, however, that things will get better in time. I have started exercising and eating more balanced full meals. I remember you had those pains in your ribs that were excrutiating. Well I was on a drug called celexa for my depression. And the first day taking it in the evening I had sudden onset of severe pain in my upper abdomen. Almost like somone sitting on my chest, enough to take my breath away it hurt so bad. The pain was in the middle of my ribs by the breast bone and radiated to the front and my back making it extremely sore. It felt like a heart attack and came in waves lasting a total of 45 minutes. I think I initially noticed it as a wierd stomach ache before it hit me full force. I went to emergency sure that I was having a heart attack or something. I was taken in immediatley and they said it was some sort of reaction to celexa, my doctor the next day said it was a gastrointestinal spasm or something of that nature and it was indistinguishible from a heart attack. Maybe this is what you have been suffering from. This is just a thought however. On the bright side they are harmless I have been told, despite scaring one senseless and really hurting. Maybe you have a muscle that is flexing in there when it shouldn't... You too are in my thoughts and I will keep you posted on my condition as I hope it will improve. I am ordering soil enzymes of sorts to hopefully sort out my battered digestive sytem and I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for everything.
Beethoven

Closed Thread