It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2004, 09:29 AM   #1

no more gall HB User
Lump under gallbladder incision site

Just saw my doctor yesterday for one week post-op gallbladder removal visit. Was cleared to return to work next week, two weeks from date of surgery, with no restrictions.

Staples were removed and all looks good except that now, just this a.m. there appears to be a lump beneath the very top incision. It doesn't hurt unless I push on it, and I THINK I've read somewhere that this is common, but now I can't find the data.

Before I call the doctor's office to ask, I thought I'd check with the experts here to see if this sounds "normal." I am slowing learning that many odd symptoms after surgery are indeed "normal."

Anybody experienced a "bubble" under an incision. I didn't notice it until the staples came out.

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2004, 02:43 PM   #2
(female)

abcsoup HB User
Re: Lump under gallbladder incision site

Yes, all 3 of my upper abdominal incisions have "bubbled" out...and I didn't have staples either. It's normal and will get back to normal in awhile.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2004, 03:20 PM   #3

no more gall HB User

Dear abcsoup --

Thanks for your quick response. I could always call the doctor, but have called his office so many times for various reasons since even before the surgery that I don't want to bother them anymore unless it's important.

I knew I had heard of this lump/bubble effect under the incisions so that's why I posted.

For now, unless something else happens, I will just wait it out. I could swear that I read someplace that this can take several months to subside. We shall see...

Thanks again!

Old 06-03-2004, 06:42 PM   #4

GB_out2000 HB User

Hi, I had GB out a while back, I had no staples just sutures. I think the only thing you need to worry about is if the wound site is ouzing or if you it begins to get really red or if you feel sick and have a fever. For the most part the surgery recovery from GB-ectomy is not too difficult. You will want to start focusing on your overall health and start correcting things in your diet.

Old 06-03-2004, 10:31 PM   #5

mama2acutie HB User

OMG thank you! so i am not alone here! i had my GB out on April 30th and when i first took the bandages off my incisions on my upper abdomen were SOOO smoothe... not they feel all lumpy underneath! i'm so glad to hear this is common.... i also didn't have staples...

Old 06-03-2004, 11:37 PM   #6

no more gall HB User

I think GB out2000 is correct that the only reason to be concerned is if incisions are particularly inflamed, oozing, and there is fever, sick feeling, etc.

But I guess I'm the only one around here who had staples! Guess it just depends upon the surgeon. I have very tiny red straight lines where they cut the skin, then little red "dots" where the staples dug in on both sides. It's an odd looking design now that staples are out and steri strips gone, I'll say that!

The only noticeable lump/bubble/bump is under the highest incision, in the midsection. I suppose it'll disappear one of these days/weeks/months....

I'm going back to work on 6/9, exactly two weeks from surgery, though I could easily be working now. My surgeon said "wait two weeks" so I will heed his advice.

Digestion is bizarre, ever-changing, even though I am eating exactly the same things I ate pre-surgery (almost totally super low fat/high fiber). This procedure DOES wreak havoc with the system, at least in the short term if not forever. At least we don't have to worry about where we will be if/when another attack hits! That's the big up-side for me.

Old 06-04-2004, 07:40 AM   #7

no more gall HB User
Re: Hard Lump beneath lap. incision site

Mama2cutie --

You previously said your incisions have lumps beneath them now, but did not just after surgery???? Do you mean there are actual lumps UNDER the skin, and not just slightly thickened scars? Are any of these lumps visible at all as well as palpable? Mine is.

I have an actual lump under the very top lap. incision and it has a hard feel to it, like a little egg-like thing. I'm very concerned that this is an "incisional" hernia and will need ANOTHER surgery to repair!!!

Going to call the surgeon today to get in there to see him but wondering if anyone else can relate to this??? I am now in a panic!

Thanks!

Old 06-04-2004, 10:25 AM   #8

mama2acutie HB User

oh i see what you mean.... i think mine is just thickening of the incision, it feels lumpy to the touch.... i really hope yours isn't a hernia! have you ever had any scars before? it could be a keloid...

Old 06-04-2004, 10:40 AM   #9

no more gall HB User

I am back from the doctor's office already. He was not in, but a nurse wanted to see my self-described "hernia." After checking it out, she felt strongly that it was a "healing ridge" and not a hernia. She said "that's where they cut you, and scar tissue builds up around the wound site days after surgery and then slowly decreases."

She said it was too early for a hernia, anyway, and that hernias are soft, not hard/lumpy like this. She pointed out that there was one at the navel incision, too, though it was harder to feel probably because there is more fat in that area.

She seemed to know what she was talking about and did NOT suggest I needed to make an appt. to see the surgeon again (which would've been important had she suspected anything) so I will just go back to work Wednesday and see what happens down the road. If it gets much bigger, of course I will seek the doc's opinion. I haven't really done anything to bring on a hernia, though weak abdominal muscles can be enough to create trouble.

My midsection is the absolute thinnest part of my entire body, no fat whatsoever there, and I've never felt I had weak abdominal muscles, quite the opposite, so I doubt that's the problem.

Glad I went over there even though the doc wasn't in the office. I'm a lot more calm now and thank you for your input!!!! How are YOU feeling now? Pretty good, I hope -- I know from the posts that you've had some anxious moments yourself! I don't think any of this is the "day at the beach" that it is often portrayed to be. One 25 year old girl I know had to stay in bed for an entire 7 days after surgery because she felt so awful. So...you don't have to be old (like me at 55) to have ups and downs.

Have a good weekend!

Old 06-04-2004, 02:08 PM   #10

mama2acutie HB User

yep, i'm 24 and i couldn't even walk for 2 days and then once i was walking i couldn't stand up straight for a week... i was walking like an 80 year old... i felt like i had been run over by a truck for a week and a half...

Old 06-04-2004, 02:51 PM   #11

no more gall HB User
Wink Re: Lump under gallbladder incision site

I know what you mean "Mama" about feeling run over by a truck. I felt that way for about 4 or 5 days --progress is slow but I was never hunched over.

I WAS hunched over for a long time after hysterectomy (big incision) many years ago. This was a lot easier.

So... since you are only 24, how old is your "Cutie?" Hope you don't have to carry him/her around too much!!!!!

Old 06-05-2004, 06:25 PM   #12

mama2acutie HB User

oh she's 4, i had her when i was 20! luckily i don't have to carry her around... it was tough still though just having a 4 year old to have to take care of, people having to take off work so they could watch her while i was in the hospital and for the first couple days home...

Closed Thread