It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
(female)

abcsoup HB User
Green diarrhea after Gallbladder surgery

I had my gallbladder removed last week due to a low ejection fraction and pain. The past 3 days I have had lower abdominal cramping followed by green diarrhea. Is this the bile salt diarrhea I have read about? I see my surgeon tomorrow for my follow-up appointment, should I mention it to her and will she be able to give me a prescription for Questran or Colestid? Thanks!

Old 06-03-2004, 10:33 PM   #2

mama2acutie HB User
Re: Green diarrhea after Gallbladder surgery

i am not really sure but after my surgery, for 2 days i was vomitting up this bright green liquid... which i believe was bile... so it might be that... i don't know. i would definately mention it to your surgeon, but i'm sure it's very normal... for the first while after the surgery, your digestive system is going to be different...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2004, 09:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile Re: Green diarrhea after Gallbladder surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcsoup
I had my gallbladder removed last week due to a low ejection fraction and pain. The past 3 days I have had lower abdominal cramping followed by green diarrhea. Is this the bile salt diarrhea I have read about? I see my surgeon tomorrow for my follow-up appointment, should I mention it to her and will she be able to give me a prescription for Questran or Colestid? Thanks!

hi there - could be bile salt diarrhea, but my stools were bright yellow or light tan and very soupy or watery. Your body may still be getting used to working without a GB. I'd definitely mention your symptoms to your doctor, but don't just assume it's bile salt diarrhea. It may take up to a month before your digestive tract settles down, but if you have explosive, uncontrollable runny or soupy stools during or shortly after eating, you most likely do have bile salt diarrhea. See your doctor first, for a definitive diagnosis, but yes, I've had great success with Colestid.

Keep us posted,
Katie G

Old 06-07-2004, 11:52 AM   #4

no more gall HB User

My GB surgery was 5/26 and today is 6/7. I've been feeling pretty good, all things considered, yet have prepared myself for just about any symptoms thanks to research and this Board. Doctors don't tell us much which I don't think is necessarily intentional -- it's just that everyone is different and will react differently to surgeries so if they highlighted every possible post-op symptom people would all chicken out of a surgery most of us really need.

I had been expecting bile salt diarrhea but don't think that's what I've experienced since surgery. I started out even before surgery somewhat constipated and was disappointed that at the hosp they did not do pre-op "cleaning out." That really surprised me and I wished I'd done something myself beforehand. When I had my hysterectomy, that was the standard approach and I think it helped during the first week post-op.

After all that anesthesia, pain meds, etc., the digestive process can virtually shut down, so I returned to my pre-surgery diet (low fat, high fiber) after a few days. Guess what! I kept eating, and eating, and eating, for a full week+, but with little to no bowel activity at all. What a shock since I expected the runs, at least initially, from all I'd heard.

Finally, yesterday I felt SO bloated/stuffed up that I knew the dam was about to burst and took some prune juice on the advice of my boyfriend. Within hours (maybe it would've happened anyway) there were the familiar rumblings, cramps, etc., and you can guess the rest. I was SO GLAD I did not take a harsh laxative in addition to or instead of the prune juice. I was truly about 10 minutes from taking Dulcolax, which probably would've been too harsh.

After the clean-out my entire "trunk" area hurt --- from front to back, around incisions, under ribs right and left, between shoulders, etc. It was an exhausting and painful little experience! But....I keep reading in the literature that various pains and all sorts of distress can plague us as we recover from abdominal surgery.

I really don't think this was bile salt diarrhea but just a regular old overloading of the intestines caused by post-op constipation. The reason I even bring this up is that I fear some people who think they have bile salt diarrhea really do not. Katie G. has given us good descriptions of that particular scenario, and I would caution all of us to pay attention to what she says because she has experienced the classic signs of it. Being overly constipated; then experiencing a rather uncomfortable cleaning out process is not likely bile salt diarrhea, particularly since the urgency is not right after or, say, 30 minutes after, a meal.

Now I have one more day to "recover" before returning to work, which is probably the absolute best thing I can do at this point. Getting back to a normal routine should help a lot, I would think. My advice to everyone about to undergo this surgery: don't let yourself get too "backed up" prior to surgery; try to get your system going soon afterwards, and get enough EXERCISE. The exercise is so important in reducing gas distress, keeping the system going, etc. Cutting back on post-op pain meds, if possible, helps too. Those meds are SO constipating for most of us. Every bit of information I've read on constipation indicates the large part anesthesia and pain relievers play in it.

If anyone has anything else to add vis-a-vis their own stories, I'm sure we'd all like to hear them. There IS comfort in knowing one is not alone with their discomfort/complaints.

Old 06-08-2004, 02:01 AM   #5
(female)

jossr HB User

I am about to have GB surgery in a couple of weeks. I've been waiting for school to let out so that I can have the summer to recoup; however, after reading the posts on GB surgery, I know to expect anything. In the past, I have had the watery stools. Lately, I have been adding more foods, but still no dairy or high fats, and no watery stools for over a week. But, I think I need to go back to a blander diet before surgery, and will follow your advice to clean-out prior to surgery.(no laxatives)

Closed Thread