It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2004, 10:46 AM   #1

Jan46 HB User
palpable enlarged gallbladder

I guess I need reassurance bigtime here. To keep it short, I discovered a somewhat moveable large egg shaped mass about 2 inches below my right ribcage 2 weeks ago. Lots of bowel problems, diarrhea, gurgling intestines. I had a CT scan done, it was negative. I had a colonoscopy done this morning, also negative, but the doc concurred that a mass was there and thought it could possibly be an enlarged gallbladder. He is ordering an ultrasound but it won't get done for 3 weeks. I have some burning pain at times and also pain up the right shoulderblade but not every day. Surfed the internet and was very frightened to see possible diagnoses of gallbladder cancer or pancreatic cancer. Is it common to have an enlarged gallbladder and not have nausea, jaundice and major pain? What are some causes of this? It is also a couple of inches lower than it normally would be.
I had one of those nuclear gallbladder scans 2 years ago, and it showed normal ejection fraction but a build up of calcium crystals and sludge. Will it be ok to wait 3 weeks for this ultrasound??? My bloodwork was normal, with slightly elevated white blood cell count. More detailed tests have also been ordered to check liver function.

Old 10-05-2004, 05:04 PM   #2
(female)

cheer up HB User
Re: palpable enlarged gallbladder

You have sludge? That's just mushy gallstones! I'll bet your problem is the gall bladder, and that it should come out.

The right sided back ache/pain near shoulder blade is pretty much a giveaway. As for what is "classic" for gall bladder, HAH -- anything goes.

I had nausea, but no vomiting. I only had one big pain attack (probable stone passing) and fairly normal bowel function. But greasy/fried foods began to bother me, and I had that nausea thing going on for months.

Finally, after ultrasound revealing "stones" (sludge) but a HIDA scan that showed normal emptying, I had some weird stomachaches over entire right side that kept me home for hours. I had had enough!

Had the thing out via lap surgery (four little cuts) and am VERY glad I did.

My surgeon said I'd had numerous attacks I didn't even identify as such, and the thing was ENLARGED and covered in scar tissue. Interesting..... as HIDA scan said it looked healthy, just that there were stones/sludge present.

If you are feeling sick, and at least some of your symptoms are typical (they sound like it to me), get the thing OUT! I am 55 years old and recovered in less than two weeks -back to work exactly two weeks from surgery.

I drove at 5 days but could've done so earlier; was on my feet much of the time the day after surgery. Yes, you'll be sore, and yes, you'll have occasional weird pains and such for many months (possibly), but nothing is worse than the GB problem and wondering where you'll be when a big attack hits. Go for it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2004, 03:08 PM   #3

Jan46 HB User
Question Re: palpable enlarged gallbladder

Thanks for your encouragement, I had an ultrasound this morning and I'll find out the results on Friday. Did you have burning type pain with yours?
If the ultrasound doesn't show anything, I still won't know why I have this large lump because it should have shown up as something on the CT scan or the ultrasound. The ultrasound tech said she saw nothing unusual. I'm also wondering if maybe I herniated something!

Old 10-06-2004, 03:53 PM   #4
(female)

cheer up HB User

Well, good news for you so far..... it was nice of the tech to tell you she saw nothing unusual. Frequently they refuse to say anything at all.

As for the lump, you could possibly have a cyst on the liver, but they are common and not a big deal. Anyhow, the CT scan or ultrasound should've shown that so it's probably not the case.

As for the burning-type of pain, NO -- my gall bladder pains were never burning -- just achy (usually) or stabbing (when a stone is trying to pass through a duct). However, lots of people with gall bladder problems DO also have burning pains so nothing is really out of bounds. As I said in my last post, with gall bladder, almost anything goes -- symptoms are all over the map and it's a toughie to diagnose sometimes.

It's possible you've got some other digestive thing going on that can be simply treated with meds. For now, just try to relax until you hear from your doctor.

Old 10-06-2004, 06:20 PM   #5

Jan46 HB User

Thanks again, I don't think it's a cyst on the liver, it's too low, about 2 or 3 inches below my liver, and its very LARGE, the size of an orange, and it's somewhat movable. I'm beginning to think it's not digestive at all. I'm at my wits' end here, I think I'll get a needle biopsy done.

Old 10-29-2004, 10:45 AM   #6

witchymomma HB User

if you have a enlarged gall bladder full of sludge like I do AF beta food will help termendiously. You take it before eating and it helps thin your bile.

Hope you get better
amy

Old 11-01-2004, 12:36 PM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Jan,

Do a "gall bladder flush" and clean the sludge and stones out. You will actually be able to gather them up with a collander...Most amazing thing in the world.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:34 PM   #8
(female)

antoinette03 HB User

I just had my gallbladder taken out last week and the doctor said that it was real big. They sent a specimen to pathology. There were no stones so what causes a gallbladder to become enlarged? No jaundice but pain was present.
Thanks

Closed Thread