It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2004, 10:46 PM   #1

akjmomma HB User
Feeling bad after gallbladder surgery...normal?

Hi everyone. I had my gallbladder removed this past Tuesday. The surgery went fine...it was laproscopic. I was in and out very quickly and did fine during the procedure.

However now that I am home I feel awful. I am suffering from stomache pain and back pain (muscular). It is dibilitating part of the time. I also have a sore throat (very difficult to swallow) and my neck is extremely stiff. I don't know what my neck has to do with anything, but it is so sore it was hard to hold my head up when I leaned back in the shower.

I am taking Lortabb to control the pain and it works fairly well, but when it wears off I begin experiencing the symptoms described above. Is this normal? I don't understand the sore throat. Is a tube placed in the throat during surgery? Thought maybe that was the cause or perhaps it is a side effect of the anesthesia.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, akjmomma

Old 11-17-2004, 11:45 PM   #2

lostgrrl HB User
Re: Feeling bad after gallbladder surgery...normal?

Hi, I has lapro gallbladder removal too - don't know about the stomach and back pain - I did not have any of that - but the sore throat - yes....I've had a few surgeries and several times I've had a terribly ripped up throat...I would call your doctor though - if it doesn't go away in a couple of days! I was up and active 4 days after the surgery....if you still feel bad - be sure to tell your doc -
Hope you feel better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2004, 10:39 PM   #3

akjmomma HB User

Thanks so much lostgrrl, I appreciate the help. Thought maybe it was just me. I did go to the doctor today about my throat. I have some different meds. to help with that now. My stomach did feel better today. Thanks for the encouragement.

Old 11-18-2004, 11:11 PM   #4

lostgrrl HB User

You're so welcome...honestly you'll be so happy that thing is out -I had 5 years of attacks before they figured out what it was....It's nice to know that I'm not going to be out somewhere and suddely doubled over in pain....

Old 11-19-2004, 06:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User

I've had the sore throats as well. I do beleive they do put something in your throat while you are out. Hope you feel better. I haven't really had any of the other symptoms though.

Old 11-19-2004, 09:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile Re: Feeling bad after gallbladder surgery...normal?

Hi there - as a GB surgery vet, the sore throat is very common since you had a breathing tube inserted during surgery (called an endotracheal tube). The stomach and back pains are probably due to gas - during the procedure the surgeon injects carbon dioxide into your abdomen to inflate the area and see the organs better during surgery. The "gas" is then trapped after surgery, and many people will have abdominal, back and even shoulder pain until the gas is expelled or reabsorbed by the body. If you're still hurting 1-2 weeks after surgery, call your doctor. Your sore neck could just be due to muscle strain if you were positioned in a way that strained your neck during surgery.

Hope you feel better soon,
Katie G

Old 11-20-2004, 09:06 AM   #7

Allinasmile HB User

Hey!. I had my gallbladder taken out on Wednesday and I am having all of the same after symptoms that you are. My throat was sore for about 2 days after ( which was due to the tube during surgery) but it seems as each day goes by I am just in as much pain as I was in the very first day. I am scared to take a bath because I am scared that the bandages will come off, how are you supposed to take one?

Old 11-22-2004, 05:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile Re: Feeling bad after gallbladder surgery...normal?

hi there - I was told to take a shower instead of a bath, and not let the water spray on the incisions directly, but just gently run over them. The steri-strips should fall off on their own in a few days, or the doc will remove them at your post-op visit.

Good luck to all of you in your recovery - it does get better eventually!

Katie G

Old 11-22-2004, 07:20 AM   #9
(female)

swtevnbrz HB User
Wink Re: Feeling bad after gallbladder surgery...normal?

I had a Lap Nissen done this past Thursday. I am having chest pains, like if one has coughed too much and then gotten very sore, and I am tired. I think that is trying to get over the anesthesia The surgery areas don't even hurt that much. I am very bruised though. Yes, when you are given general anesthesia for any surgical procedure you are intubated to keep your airway open.
Hope we qall heal soon and never need " the little pill" again

Lori

Closed Thread