It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2004, 02:53 PM   #1

WUV HB User
Question Diet after gallbladder removal

Hi. I've been in constant discomfort and pain for a couple months with several severe attacks. The HidaScan showed 8% function so am scheduled for gallbladder removal 12/29. Unfortunately my pre-op EKG showed something "abnormal" so this may be postponed pending a stress test. Anyway, can anyone tell me what has worked best for them for the few months following their gallbladder removal? I can't seem to find much information. Doc says there is no special diet. I have no family around me so will be going this alone. I need to get my groceries before I go in. Are just brothy/noodle soup type things best? Welcome any constructive help

Old 12-25-2004, 04:23 PM   #2
(female)

summerlove HB User
Re: Diet after gallbladder removal

I had my gb removed in September. My Doc had me on clear liquids for the first 2 days (apple juice, broth, jello). Then "full" liquids the following 2 days. This included Cream of Wheat, orange juice, milkshakes. Interesting though, nobody else I've talked to had any diet restrictions after their gb surgery, except maybe staying away from the fatty foods. I would suggest having these things on hand. Also, you might want to ask your doc/surgeon if you should have Milk of Magnesia or Metamucil on hand to make your stools softer. Good luck. It's tough not having anyone around to run out an get things for you. Hopefully you will get more insight here on what you need to get before your surgery. Hope all goes well!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2004, 07:26 PM   #3

WUV HB User

Thank you soooo much for your reply. That is exactly what I needed. It is kind of what I expected except for the milkshakes part which I was under the assumption that dairy products may not be a good thing for the intestines but I LOVE THEM
Again, THANKS SO MUCH.

Old 12-25-2004, 07:38 PM   #4
(male)

Nitehawk HB User

I just had my Gall Bladder removed 12/16. They had me drink a Sprite and eat some crackers at the Hospital before I was released. My Surgeon just said to lay off anything with a lot of fat for a couple of days. I have learned not to eat to much of anything since the surgery or I get sort of bloated and crampy usually followed by a BM within 45 minutes. I was eating pretty much what I wanted on day three post op.

I tried to not take any pain meds I was given because they make me constipated. I ended up having to take some the night after the surgery and the next day and that was it. Like mentioned before, get some Milk of Magnesia, Metamucil you may need it. I haven't had the diarrhea problems some seem to get and am keeping my fingers crossed on that.

Good Luck,
Nitehawk

Old 12-25-2004, 08:06 PM   #5

WUV HB User

Thank you for your reply! You both have been VERY helpful and it is appreciated. I will stock up on liquids and soft foods for my first few days. I have other problems that may complicate things (GERD and IBD) and I, too, dislike taking meds but they usually growl me and I give in for the first day or two after operations (have had 2 cervical fusions in the past 4 years and a carpal tunnel as well).

I look forward to an end to the pain although I assume some of the intestinal discomforts will remain due to my other conditions but it will be nice to be able to wear pants with a waist and be able to bend at the waist again without stabbing pain

Thanks again for all your help and well wishes.

Old 12-25-2004, 09:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I would think that you could eat anything that is OK with your other esophaus and IBS problems. yogurt or any not fatty foods. I am sure having these problems --- you are awhere of what causes you problems.

IBS-D you probably have some trigger foods??

God Bless---Harry

Old 12-27-2004, 08:44 AM   #7

Allinasmile HB User

I had my gallbladder removed in November. I still haven't ate any fast food (burgers or fries) or anything fatty. I basically can tell myself what I can have and can't have as far when food is involved. I have more stomach aches than I did before the surgery when I eat. I have only vomitted 3 or 4 times since surgery but the nasuea is still there. It comes and goes. I wish you luck with your surgery.

Old 12-31-2004, 10:25 PM   #8
(female)

summerlove HB User

Hey WUV - Your surgery was scheduled for 12/29. Were you able to go ahead with it? IF so, how are you doing? Hope all is well

Old 01-01-2005, 10:55 AM   #9

WUV HB User

Thank you for your inquiry. The EKG problem was not significant and surgery was done on 12/29, stayed the night and came home the following afternoon. This is now day 3 after the operation. First 2 days was incredible! I needed no pain meds, the main pain/discomfort was in my navel area (other 3 holes have no pain). My only problem was slight nausea to which they responded with nothing but ice chips. First 2 days were remarkably good. Today am feeling worse but think I overdid activity yesterday so it's probably my own fault. More nausea today. Ate a piece of dry toast and trying to keep hydrated. Yesterday ate only broth and toast. Do have diahhrea but nothing any more severe than I had pre-op. So, all in all, feels like it was worth it. The surgical "pain" is nothing compared to the pre-op pains and discomfort I had - so I'm happy! Thanks again for asking.

Old 01-01-2005, 10:25 PM   #10
(female)

summerlove HB User

Glad you're doing well. Been thinking about you. I know you are alone in this. I've had some bouts with nausea since the surgery also, but I think it's related to too much acid in my stomach. I've been taking acid reducers in the evenings, since my nausea hits me in the middle of the night. Hope you continue to do well. Happy New Year!

Old 01-02-2005, 05:08 PM   #11

WUV HB User

Thanks and Happy New Year Summerlove. Yes, I'm alone but I was alone during both 3 level and a 4th level cervical fusion so this is, relatively speaking, very easy. But it is VERY nice to know people care, so thank you so much. I had just moved to the area this fall so have not established a "friend base" yet. My only child (who lives across country) could not get off work. An acquaintance from work insisted on taking me to and from the hospital but she lives some distance so I won't see her again til I get back to work. It is working out fine, thank you for asking.

Yes, I believe the nausea is related to acid as well. I realized later that day that I had not taken my Prevacid in the am. After taking it I began to feel better from that perspective. I'm tolerating bland food rather well today. The diaherria remains but is under control from my perspective.

Again, thanks for your kindness! God Bless!

Last edited by WUV; 01-02-2005 at 05:09 PM.

Closed Thread