It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
(female)

momtoccm HB User
Problems after gallbladder surgery

I had lap surgery 3 weeks ago. I was 6 weeks postpartum at the time. I was really sore for about a week and then felt much better. Two weeks after surgery, I started having back pain on my right side. Then a few days later, the pain was also right where my gallbladder had been. I've been having this pain for 8 days. When I saw my surgeon, he said maybe I just aggravated it. Last night I had some abdominal cramping. I felt like I needed to go to the bathroom, but couldn't. Then something came out that looked similar to the gallstones. I'm not sure it that's what it was, but it was a couple small round balls. Right after that, I had diarrhea. A few hours later, I started having blood mixed in with the stool. Today my stomach is sore and I'm still bleeding a little when I go to the bathroom. My original gallbladder pain was in my sternum and the center of my back so this pain is not the same. Has anyone else had these kind of problems? Do you think I'm just still adjusting to having the gallbladder removed?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2005, 02:16 PM   #2
(female)

solaray HB User
Re: Problems after gallbladder surgery

Hello momtoccm,

Has anyone else had these kinds of problems?

Donít know yet I am still deciding on whether I should get this surgery
1. Did you have a Hida Scan w/cck test?
2. If so, what was your gallbladder ejection fraction on your Hida Scan w/cck
Test?
3. Did your doctor suggest this surgery based on results of a certain test?
Which one?
4. What were your symptoms before having Gallbladder Surgery? (beside the
pain in the sternum and the center of back?

You had mentioned previous to your surgery that you had
pain in the sternum and center of back
this is also one of my many symptoms
which is on my post titled ďSymptoms Before Gallbladder SurgeryĒ dated 1/19/05

Do you think I'm just still adjusting to having the gallbladder removed?

I donít think so.

1. I would be concerned about the bleeding that doesnít sound right.
2. Also the pain in the back and right side doesnít sound right.

I have however, heard of people getting diarrhea for a short period of time
after having lap gallbladder surgery.
I believe I was told by a doctor that this particular symptom is nothing to worry about because it is only temporary.
The body needs to get adjusted to the bile, which no longer is stored in the gallbladder but goes directly to the intestines (I believe) causing diarrhea.

Perhaps the cramping is associated with this diarrhea

I think itís a good idea to monitor and write down your symptoms/what you are feeling and tell the doctor to make sure.
If upon speaking with the doctor and I wasnít confident in what the doctor told me I would seek the opinion of a second doctor.

I wish you recovery. Please feel free to write/post back. I am interested in hearing how everything goes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2005, 04:15 PM   #3
(female)

momtoccm HB User

I only had an ultrasound that showed multiple stones and sludge.
Symptoms were sternum pain, center back pain, heartburn feeling, feeling of fullness, burping, and acidic taste in mouth. I had also had pain in my right side above ribs, but not during an attack. Attacks lasted 4-12 hours and then I would have soreness in back and chest for up to 10 days. The surgeon said my gallbladder was really bad when he took it out. He almost had to switch to open surgery.
He thought the pain I have now was just from surgery and I had aggravated it. The day it started I took my 3 small children out alone for first time since surgery. I lifted on my 26 lb. toddler a lot more that day than I had been. I left a message for the nurse today, but didn't get a return call.

Old 01-21-2005, 05:28 PM   #4
(female)

anon2239 HB User

I had my gallbladder out5 months ago. I did have the back-right side pain and did have a time with constipation. Took a while to get really regular. Have 2 friends who also had this surgery within a month of mine. They also have had these problems. One doctor told me the loose stools were usually from "fat" - since we no longer have gallbladder. BUT the blood does NOT sound right. Please go to doctor or get another opinion.Sandy

Old 01-23-2005, 09:51 PM   #5
(female)

LollyBear HB User

Your symptoms sound alot like mine.

I had lap surgery about 5 weeks ago. The first 2 weeks were a dream-I could eat anything i wanted (I had stomach trouble for 10 years prior to the surgery) But I started having alot of trouble with constipation. Alot of cramping, bloating, and abdominal discomfort. When my bowels do move it is very uncomfortable and I bleed (I believe the bleeding is due to hemroids-could this be the bleeding your having?) Due to this I have lost my appetite and am afraid to eat much because when i do it triggers cramping. Has anyone else had these problems, if so when did you get relief?

Old 01-24-2005, 01:00 PM   #6
(male)

Nitehawk HB User

I had my GB removed via Lap. almost 6 weeks ago also. I have a lot of gas, bloating and cramping along with constipation now. I get what feels like a large gas bubble trapped in the mid abdomen area for hours on end. BM's are hard and cause cramps. I take medamucil and stool softners to help. I am at the point where I am thinking about having a ERCP done. I have a lot of pressure build up in the area where the GB used to be and then it seems to force it's way past something and feels like letting air out of a ballon. After that happens I usually get a lot of gas or have a BM within an hour. I am thinking I may have a Sphincter of Oddie problem.
Nitehawk

Last edited by Nitehawk; 01-24-2005 at 01:02 PM.

Old 02-04-2005, 04:03 AM   #7
(female)

road_runner7 HB User

I also had my gallbladder remove one and a half weeks ago and the pain I had previously was just under the right breast..a sore, tight burning sensation that makes me want to vomt...I JUST today had that pain AGAIN! That pain is why the gallbladder was removed (ultrasound showed multiple stones). I can't understand why I had this pain today again, I didn't eat anything, I just awoke from a nap in such pain I could hardly breathe.

momtoccm; If you are passing stones (urine or feces??) then that doesn't sound right either. If urine you could have kidney stones, if feces then maybe liver????
Get a doctor to advise asap and tell them of the pain and the stones passed (if happens again then try to 'save' one to bring with you) If you passed stones in the feces then this could cause tears in your rectum and thus bleeding. Just some thoughts for you.

I am seeing my surgeon in 4 days for a post-surgery followup and because I had this pain today I will be asking some questions..I'll let you all know.
Cheers and BE WELL

Old 02-19-2005, 11:20 AM   #8

Allinasmile HB User

I had laproscopic gallbladder removal on 11-17-04 and I have been having reoccuring symptoms that I had before having it removed. My stomach hurts so much with cramping that I almost can't stand the pain yet I don't know what is causing this. It lasts for hours at a time and is very constant. Anyone have any ideas of what this could be?

Old 07-23-2005, 07:02 AM   #9
(female)

mae pel HB User

hi all, i had my gallbladder our in April of this year, recovery was normal. In June i started with upper back pain with feeling full and bloated burping alot after meals bowl movements go from normal to hard pebbles. i also have hypothroidism and have to follow a low fat low sugar diet (low carb with out the high fat intake) in all the ready on the web i have found that it could be a stone in the liver or the common bile duct that could have been there since before surgery. any suggestions would be GREAT!!!!!!

Old 07-26-2005, 01:23 PM   #10
(female)

gkain51 HB User

I had my gallbladder taken out lap 2 1/2 months ago. I felt real good for the first few weeks and have been having pain ion my right side under my ribs and in the sternum area. I don't know if it is still tender (it doesn't feel like that kind of pain) or if this is just part of life without a glalbladder. I also have the on and off diareah. It tends to be more after I eat high fat.

I also have IBS and have a lot of lower right side pain. I have had this for 15 years and it comes and goes.

I also have hypo thyroidism.

Last edited by gkain51; 07-26-2005 at 01:28 PM.

Closed Thread