It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 09:37 AM   #1
(female)

britjoshmattmom HB User
Question Elevated Liver Enzymes,Gallbladder???

Hello. I am a 37 year old female. About 3 years ago I had the flu and went to the ER and at that time they did a blood work and told me that my Liver Enzymes were elevated and to call my doctor,so I did. He monitored it for quite sometime and it kept climbing higher and higher,he finally did a sonogram of my liver and gallbladder..etc,and an upper GI Barium Swallow,results were inconclusive except for the fact that I did have an ulcer and a spastic colon.I then was referred to a Gastroenterologist and he kept monitoring it and finally he felt it was out of his hands so he sent me to a hepatologist in St.Louis,he did a liver biopsy last september,results read"Fairly normal with minimal inflammation if any".So he dismissed me with no further instructions. I went to a new family doctor the first of this year and he did some blood work and my liver enzymes were still elevated,and he also told me that my right kidney was enlarged at the time the sonogram was performed(the other doctor failed to tell me that),well he has decided to do another sonogram in the morning of my liver,gallbladder,pancreas,small intestine and right kidney.(I had a kidney stone in December of last year) He also told me that I am anemic. I have a sore spot under my right breast /rib cage,and sometimes it radiates to my belly button. I also have acid reflux. The pain in my side goes into my right shoulder blade at times.What is up? Is the anemia related to this? Could it be gallstones?

Last edited by britjoshmattmom; 03-16-2005 at 09:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 05:54 PM   #2
(female)

spongebobgamma HB Userspongebobgamma HB User
Re: Elevated Liver Enzymes,Gallbladder???

How did your sonogram come out?? Yes I would have them check into your gallbladder, even if theres no stones they need to do a hida scan. They need to find whats causing the high liver enzymes.

Were you put on any meds for the ulcer??Hopefully your new Dr will find the answers you need.

Old 03-17-2005, 06:34 PM   #3
(female)

britjoshmattmom HB User

Hello,thanks for your reply! I had the sonogram this a.m,wont have results till Monday,so I am in a waiting game looks lie,however when she did the sonogram this morning I had about 3 spots in different areas of my abdomen that was really sore when she pressed down on them,so I know there has to be something going on in there but what? My doc put me on Ritadine for Acid Reflux.I am just tired of the guessing game ,it looks like eventually I would find someone that knew what they were talking about. My new doc is a young man and I figure he is fresh out of med school so he should be up to date on all the new diseases hopefully we can come to a dx and put an end to this rat race.

Old 03-18-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
(female)

I hope the meds will help you get some relief.. I hate waiting for the results of medical tests. post back and let us know how it goes on mon.

Old 03-18-2005, 05:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

When you had the test done and you had elevated liver enzymes,had you taken any kind of meds or nsaids or ibuprophen?Are you on any meds for cholesterol problems,did you drink any booze a day or so before the tests?All of the above can contribute to elevated liver emzymes.Have you ever sustained any kind of injury to your ribcage that you can recall?What does the pain under the ribcage feel like,is it constant or intermittent?The pain that your describing sounds alot like the pain im experiencing right now.Have you had an ANA test done,to rule out connective tissue disease.Ive had the pain under the breast on the right side for almost 2yrs now.Ive had just about every test there is,and some tests even repeated.I get the pain in the back in the shoulderblade off and on.
.The doctor is giving up on me as of today.The only thing that turned up in my blood tests was that i tested ANA positive.Other then the pain everyday and the ANA positive reading i have no other symptoms.Until i show other symptoms ,he told me i will have to live with the pain.Nice huh?If you got some kind of inflammation going on ,it could be a connective tissue disease.My doctor thinks i could have arthritis in the muscle on the ribcage which would account for the pain.My brother gave me a low dose of percocet and for the first time in almost 2 yrs i was pain free for about 6 hrs till it wore off.So ask your doc if he ran an ANA test to rule out connective tissue disease?Take care.

i will have to live with the pain.

Old 03-21-2005, 08:33 PM   #6
(female)

britjoshmattmom HB User

I got results of ultrasound today,everything was normal. I jsut dont understand how everything could be normal when my liver enzymes have tested 6 times the normal limit and I have this soreness. I do not drink and have never drank so it could not be alcohol related,the only meds that I took routinley was Tylenol P.M everynight so that I could sleep. I now take Micardis HCT for High Blood Pressure,Effexor XR for depression,Tegretol for Trigeminal Neuralgia,ritadine for reflux,and that is about all I take at this time.I am just at a loss as to why they can find no plausible explanation for this........

Old 03-21-2005, 10:55 PM   #7
(female)

Has the Dr said what he plans to do next? Sometimes you need to be your own health advocate.. When some Drs can't find the problem they will give up..

Are you still taking the tylenol PM and if so have you had a blood test while not taking it??

Closed Thread