It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
(female)

boobear6087 HB User
Constipation after gallbladder surgery

I had my gallbladder removed on March 14th and I have had a problem with constipation since the surgery. The first 3-4 days after surgery were really bad but the doctor told me that the pain medication I was taking would sometimes make you constipated. However, it is now going on 4 weeks since surgery and I have not taken any pain pills since the first day or two after surgery, yet....the constipation problem still bothers me.

Most everyone that I have talked to tells me quite the opposite, that they experienced diarrhea (sp?) afterwards and to stay away from fatty foods. I have eaten my share of fast food since surgery...but so far, it does not affect me the way most people say it affects them.

Anyone else have this problem? If so....does it get better?

Old 04-08-2005, 05:51 AM   #2
(female)

StaciL320 HB User
Re: Constipation after gallbladder surgery

Sometimes constipation happens after surgery, but you are right, a lot of people do get diarreah after their gall bladder surgery. I was told to take Milk of Magnesia after the surgery if I were to become constipated. I have used it on occasion and have to tell you it works very well, so if you continue to be constipated, try it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
(female)

Kristen Elissa HB User

I too have had recent gall bladder surgery and am having a problem with constipation. Like you was told that the runs would be "normal". I haven't been able to find out what to do. I eat a lot of fibre, drink lots of water and exercies so i don't understand. Have you heard anything more on this?

Old 04-23-2005, 09:22 AM   #4
(female)

happyhealth04 HB User

Hi All,

I had gallbladder surgery on that 4th of April, and having the same problems with my bowels. I have a question for all of those with constipation after removal. I did not have gallstones but instead a pourly funtioning gallbladder. Curious if there might be a connection. I called my doc also and he recommended the same relief (milk of mag.).
He also informed me that this was out of the norm, advised me to call in 2 weeks if it continued.

Old 04-23-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
(female)

Blue_Streak HB User

I had GB surgery a few weeks back & I have the constipation as well. Metemucil seems to help, along with making sure I drink enough water...

Blue

Old 04-23-2005, 04:58 PM   #6
(female)

boobear6087 HB User

The constipation problem has gotten better (surgery was March 14th). For about the first 2-3 weeks, I had a terrible time with it.....the Dr. said that some of it could be coming from the pain medicine.

Now, I am experiencing some of the diarrhea problems that everyone told me about...but even that has not been to bad. Overall, I haven't had any major problems.

Before surgery, my major problem was when I would wake up, I would have a terrible soreness in my stomach area which ran all the ran around my mid-section. It felt like someone had beat the crap out of me....not sharp pains, just a terrible soreness. I dd not have stones, my gallbladder was only working at 18%.

The first 2 weeks after surgery I had no pain and thought...Great. But, in the last couple of weeks, I have started to experience that same soreness...so it makes me wonder if something else is going on. It is not as often and not as bad as before so I hope that maybe in time it will go away.

Old 04-30-2005, 02:20 PM   #7
(female)

happyhealth04 HB User

Boobear6087,

Your information leads me to believe that you and I had similar gallbladder problems, mine was only funtioning at 14%. My Doc seems to believe that with my history of stomach problems that it has been failing for quite awhile. It has been 3 weeks since my removal and I am praying that the constipation will go away. I have not had any problems with the explosive diarrhea, and hope that I do not.

Old 04-30-2005, 08:32 PM   #8
(female)

redjb7 HB User

I had gb surgery about 4 and 1/2 weeks ago. For the first few weeks I had no intestinal problems or discomfort, but lately I have started to get diarrhea and the same feeling afterward that lasts for hours of soreness in my stomach area. My doc said that the diarrhea problem was VERY unusual (like .01 percent of people).

Closed Thread