It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2005, 07:40 AM   #1

Allinasmile HB User
Bananas After Gallbladder Removed

I Was Wondering If Anyone Else Had Problems With Eating Bananas After Having The Gallbladder Removed. I First Seen A Problem When I Ate A Banana About 3 Months After My Removal. It Was The Kind Of Pain You Don't Ever Want To Have. It Was A Constant Pain That Never Went Away And Felt Like A Menstrual Cramp Only 10 Times Worse. Last Night I Wasn't Paying Attention And I Accidentally Ate Some Bananas At A Chinese Buffett And I It Felt The Same Pain As Before. I Was Wondering If Anyone Has Had This Problem After Having Their Gallbladder Removed And If So What Kind Of Medications Have You Found That Will Ease The Pain. I Have A Feeling Even The Strongest Of Painkillers Can't Do Any Effects On Me. I Would Appreciate Your Feedback! Thanks

Old 04-23-2005, 01:20 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User
Re: Bananas After Gallbladder Removed

I don't have any problems with them at all. I ate them for breakfast the whole week after my GB came out with no problem. They seemed to help with the diahrrea I was having after surgery.

Donna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2005, 07:34 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Can't think of any reason the two should be connected. The gallbladder only deals with fat so it shouldn't be a related issue.

Old 04-25-2005, 10:39 PM   #4
(female)

TinaBeena HB User

Hi, I haven't had my gallbladder out....yet... But I do have spasms and I'm having a bad time of it right now. (hence the searching on these boards)

I can't eat bananas either. It started when I was 8. My son is 17 and his started last year. My daughter is 11 and hers just started last week. It's a horrible pain that makes you want to go to the ER and have them just numb your guts. Benedryl helps a little, but there's realy nothing that will help besides staying away from bananas. None of the doctors I have told know why we can't eat them. I know that when I was little, I would scream and climb the bed it hurt so bad. I just really think there has to be a protein or something in a banana that our bodies can't digest.

I don't know if any of the foods are related, but as I've gotten older, it is happening with other foods. Avocados, lettuce, eggplant, and tomatoes all make my stomach hurt like the bananas do.

I also can't eat white eggs. Brown eggs are ok. I've also sent emails to a poultry research scientist about this issue and he is stumped. The only difference (that they know of) between brown and white eggs is the color of the hen that layed them. My sister and son can only eat brown eggs as well. The white eggs make our stomachs hurt like the bananas do.

Try to stay away from bananas. If you accidentally ingest bananas, try benedryl. I've tried yogurt, antacids, vicodin, and even red wine to no avail. I've thought about trying beano (alpha-galactosidase enzyme), since it helps get rid of stomach and intestinal pains when I eat raw veggies, but I chicken out every time. The pain is just too scary.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:22 PM   #5
(female)

step_mar HB User
Lightbulb Re: Bananas After Gallbladder Removed

I, too, have food sensitivities that are exactly like the ones described here. They've been driving me crazy for years, and as i get older I continually have to add foods to the list of things I cannot eat. My banana problems started when I was 8 or 9 and now it's broccoli, eggs (but i can eat the ones i get in europe, maybe they are brown eggs), and avocados. Twice in the past two years I have been hospitalized with pancreatitis that seemed to have been brought on after eating a food I can't tolerate. A little over a year ago I had an intestinal volvulus due to malrotation, which is a birth defect of the intestine. I had it surgically corrected and had high hopes it would cure my food sensitivies, but unfortunately it did not.
****HOWEVER, I somehow stumbled onto the fact that drinking a big glass of orange juice when the pain first starts will make it stop! Almost immediately! I still stay away from the foods because the pain is so bad that i don't want to experience it even for 5 minutes, but sometimes you accidentally eat something you can't tolerate and it's WONDERFUL to have a way to deal with it that really works.
I was very surprised that orange juice would have that effect, since I thought it would just be adding acid to what seemed like an acid-related kind of issue. But it turns out that orange juice is an alkaline food, not acidic at all. It hasn't helped me or the gastroenterologist I've been seeing to figure out what my problem actually is, but it make the pain stop and that's what matters most.
I hope that at least one person out there can get some help from this, that kind of stomach pain is the worst, don't I know it!!!

Old 08-09-2006, 05:33 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

hi same problem. BANANAS made me double up with horrible pains for about an hour after my gallbladder was removed. i'm not talking right after but 6 mos. later. nothing else has bothered me like that.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb Re: Bananas After Gallbladder Removed

After reading all the Posts on this thread -- I think that you all lack a mineral in your diet-- namely Magnesium.

Magnesium is in every cell of your body including all muscles-- lacking it can cause cramping as well as spasms. And, intestines are muscles.

The best anti cramping remedy that I know of is a homeopathic remedy that you can buy at a health food store--- Magnesia Phos --6X is OK--- taken as needed-- the result will absolutely amaze you.

But, the fact that you are having cramping with such an easy food to digest indicates that you lack magnesium on the cellular level---

I agree removing the gallbladder should have no connection with eating bananas!!

Harry

Old 08-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #8
(male)

HRH HB User

The BRAT diet is suppose to be easy to digest, cause less cramping, nausea and diarrhea!

It is bananas, rice, applesuce and toast--and been is use a long time by both Gastro doctors and us normal people.

I wonder if Harry is right or is there a food intolerance or sensitivity problem ??

Is there something going on about not being able to digest bananas ??

Old 08-10-2006, 06:51 PM   #9

justkaren HB User

Finally someone else! I thought I was crazy! I had my Gallbladder out about 10 years ago. Within the last few months I have realized that bananas make me very ill. I would get intense stomach pain, almost like a gallbladder attack, when I ate even just one. Also, about 2 weeks ago I had a chicken salad with some avocado on it. After eating it I became sick, like with bananas. I love avocados and now I am a little worried that is going to be the next food I will be cutting out of my diet. My doctor just put me on Aciphex for my stomach so hopefully that will help.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:32 AM   #10
(female)

ovy HB User
Question Re: Bananas After Gallbladder Removed

For the last fifteen years, I have been unable to eat broccoli, eggs, canteloupe or bananas without getting severe abdominal pain. I recently discovered avocadoes cause pain as well. I have found that if the bananas and canteloupe are very ripe, they don't bother me, and I can eat egg beaters with no problem. Sometimes, there are chills, nausea, and diarrhea involved as well. No diagnosis has ever been made, and I just avoid the foods as much as possible. I'm getting a little concerned as my list is continuing to grow, though.

As for the magnesium theory. I take magnesium every day, and it doesn't change anything for me.

I recently discovered that there are similar protein profiles for bananas and avocados. The link has repeatedly come up with association to latex allergy. I am in the healthcare field and have had to use non-latex gloves for years due to a sensitivity (my hands become red and itchy). Has anyone else experiencing these food symptoms had problems with latex as well?

Closed Thread