It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2005, 09:46 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

bleedingsoul88 HB User
Red face Gallbladder pain after gallbladder is gone?

This is really wierd. I recently had my gallbladder removed through a cholestectomy in February. The pain and symptoms were completely gone after about a week.

Recently, I've been feeling the pains in my side again. I feel almost like I'm back where I started. What could cause this? Does anyone have any insight they could share?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2005, 10:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soibhan HB User
Re: Gallbladder pain after gallbladder is gone?

I have no idea what it is, but I had it too after my gallbladder was removed. I had mine removed through a very large incision because I had stones caught in the common bile duct. But a few weeks after the surgery, I had gallbladder symptoms again. That was 15 yrs. ago and I still get those "phantom" pains once in a while. I have no idea what causes it. Sometimes I think it's after I've eaten a fatty meal, but not necessarily. You know how people who have had a limb amputated talk about phantom pain? Could it possibly be the same type thing?? I wonder. If anyone else has experienced this after having their gallbladder removed, let us hear from you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
(female)

kim_okla HB User
Smile Re: Gallbladder pain after gallbladder is gone?

About 11 months after removal I had pain worse than the gallstones. It was like a charlie horse in my stomach. It would grip up and not let go for about 15 minutes. A lot of panting because I couldn't breath and sweating from the pain. Usually I would be asleep and this would wake me up.

I had an ultrasound to see if there was a loose stone floating around. I told the tech you better make this worth while and find a 30 pound tumor. I don't want another surgery for one little stone. Didn't find anything.

Doctor thought it could be a colon spasm. I was taking Imodium at times and it could have been related. I haven't had one since last July (it lasted nearly an hour) and I haven't taken Imodium either. So I never found out for sure and hope to never have one again.

Old 06-21-2005, 10:31 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

bleedingsoul88 HB User
Re: Gallbladder pain after gallbladder is gone?

Hmm....ya, I actually didn't have stones at all, my gallbladder was dysfunctional. It would fill with the bile (or whatever it holds) and it wouldn't be able to release it, so it would swell up really big.

I do occasionally take Imodium for stress related symptoms...how embarrassing! But, that sounds very similar to my situation, so maybe I'll try to lay off of it for a while.

As far as phantom pains, that could very well be it, I don't know...wierder things have happened!

Thanks to everyone for responding.

Closed Thread