It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
(female)

Judensmom HB User
Unhappy Indigestion after gallbladder removed

Hello all,

I had my gallbaldder removed 11 days ago. I did not have stones but rather just a diseased gallbladder. My problem is that I still have terrible indigestion. Mainly, chest discomfort which is relieved by the burping. The surgeon said that it would be 2-3 weeks before I feel like myself again ( I forget what that must be like). My question is.... Has anyone else had this problem and will this ever go away? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Old 07-29-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Indigestion after gallbladder removed

Yes, it goes away...just be careful what you eat fo a few weeks...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2005, 02:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

Yes, I also had that after mine was removed. Bad indigestion--belching and gas. I also had bad heartburn as well. It does go away in time. Like the other poster said watch what you eat! Aything too fatty will cause some indigestion. Same with caffeine and some vegetables like lettuce.

Old 07-29-2005, 06:32 PM   #4
(female)

Judensmom HB User

About how long does it take to go away? Also, I am a heavy coffee drinker. I switched to decaf about 6 months ago and that is all that I drink now. Other than that I drink water all day.

Old 07-29-2005, 06:45 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Everyone is different...I stayed on low fat for three weeks and then started slowly intoducing fat in to my diet...a little butter on the bread, a little real salad dressing, etc. It took about 2 months before I was truly eating whatever I wanted...but I was playing it safe. And some of that gas may be what they pumped into you for the surgery. Sometimes it can take a while to dissipate.

Old 07-29-2005, 07:08 PM   #6
(female)

Judensmom HB User

I hope you're right. Now that I'm back on my feet after the actual surgery itself, I was hoping that all would be normal again. I guess I have to be patient and not jump back into eating so quickly. Thanks again!

Old 08-02-2005, 08:30 AM   #7
(female)

ljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB User

Judensmom,

I just began having the same problem! Initially after the surgery I mainly felt sore from the operation itself, and I was constipated for a few days. I was very careful about what I ate, and continue to be, but in the last few days I am noticing a lot of discomfort in my abdomen, just below my stomach. It doesn't go to the right side like the gall bladder pain did, it's more spread out. Plus I am having cramping in my lower abdomen with bowel movements. I have an appointment with my gastro doctor in a few weeks, and I am not sure whether to try to make it sooner or wait and see if this resolves itself in the meantime. Also, my situation was similar to yours, I didn't have stones, just an "inflamed" gall bladder, which from what I have read can make a person more likely to experience these symptoms. I am so sick of feeling sick!!

Last edited by ljturner; 08-02-2005 at 08:31 AM.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:13 PM   #8
(female)

Judensmom HB User

ljturner,

Thanks for your post. How long ago did you have your gb removed? The past 2 days were great. All my symptoms were gone. Today however, they are back. I'm hoping that it's just something that will dwindle down with time. If I'm not "normal" by my 3 week post op then I'm going to make an appointment with the GI doc. Good luck to you and keep me posted on your symptoms.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:26 AM   #9
(female)

I had mine out 7/11, so just about a month ago. At first I felt pretty good but things seem to be declining rather than improving with time. I find that I have a lot of gas / bloating / discomfort every day. No diarrhea though, just a lot of cramping before each bm. My pain seems to travel right through my intestinal system as I digest, and every step in the process is irritating. How are you doing? I keep hoping that this is all the process of my body adjusting to not having a gall bladder anymore and I continue to be careful with my diet.

Last edited by ljturner; 08-09-2005 at 06:27 AM.

Old 08-09-2005, 08:38 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

I had mine out the end of March and I get the cramping after eating and before a bowel movement as well. I also get alot of weird "gurgling" noises from my intestines. I get alot of gas as well and not just burping My dr. thinks I might have IBS
Great...more things to add to the neverending list of problems!

Donna

Old 08-18-2005, 06:16 AM   #11
(female)

Angry Re: Indigestion after gallbladder removed

Juden & Diamond, any changes for you? I see the GI doctor today and I had hoped it would be the last time! Seems like the pain I am getting is worse. I get really bad cramps in my upper abdomen after I eat (about 15 minutes or so) then it almost feels like the food I eat is irritating my intestines as it moves through them. I end up with really bad lower abdominal cramps, sometimes I have a bm but not always, and there isn't any diarrhea at this point, just pain! If I eat any amount of fat forget it, I am miserable for the rest of the day. Even if I avoid it though I am still dreading every meal because I know what is in store within a half hour of eating. UGH! To be honest, as bad as the gb attacks were, this is worse! I have read that people who have their gb out but did not have stones are more likely to have other troubles after surgery. It's so frustrating because the gb attacks came and went but this is becoming a constant problem. Sorry to be so negative but I needed to vent!!!!

Last edited by ljturner; 08-18-2005 at 06:17 AM.

Old 08-18-2005, 06:32 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

ljturner,

Sorry to hear you are feeling so bad. I can sympathize with you. I am still having the cramping after I eat and it's not just fatty foods that cause it either. Just about anything does. Some days I will have normal BM while others I get horrible cramps then I am running to the bathroom with diarrhea.
Unfortunately, I was one of the ones who didn't have stones--just an inflamed GB with cholesterol polyps. At times I almost regret having the thing removed
I hope you feel better soon and let us know how your GI appointment goes, maybe he/she will have an answer for you because I'm not getting anywhere with my dr!

Donna

Old 08-18-2005, 06:37 AM   #13
(female)

It sounds like we're in the same boat, I had my gb out because my ejection fraction was 0%, but there weren't any stones, just inflammation. I know I had to get it out but I had no idea it might make things worse. I am going to lay it all out for the doctor today and hope they don't try to give me the bum's rush, it took almost a year for the gb diagnosis and I don't want this to go on that long!

Closed Thread