It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2005, 03:47 PM   #1
(female)

fishgal HB User
Large Gallbladder Polyps?

Help! I recently experienced chest pain and went to ER thinking I was having a heart attack. After normal heart testing, they did a gallbladder ultra sound which revealed multilple polyps (the largest three being 1.05, .40 and .22 centimeters) - they don't change position and are not causing distal shadowing consistent with polyps. There's no thickening of the gallbladder wall, no pericholecystic fluid collection and no biliary duct dilation and no evidence of stones. I can't get in to see a surgeon for seveal weeks and don't know what I'm faced with here. I haven't heard of polyps in the gallbladder before and it is scaring me. I'd appreciate some advice.
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Re: Large Gallbladder Polyps?

Hello fishgal,

I had this problem and wanted to find information and advice about it. I looked and posted on this board in lots of forums, but didn't have any luck. I am so pleased that I saw your request and I hope I can help.

I had surgery 2 months ago to remove my gallbladder because of polyps. I had an excellent surgeon, and he didn't hold back on telling me the full story about what can happen with them. I asked for the information and I was glad he told me straight. Most of the polyps I had were 1 cm in size. The thing is when they reach this size, this is the danger point for them to turn cancerous. Not all do of course, but this is the warning stage. There is no treatment if this happens, and the prognosis isn't good. I urgently advise you to do some research on this. You need to act quickly because they can turn nasty.

I have a lot of serious medical conditions and surgery is only an option for me in an emergency. This was an emergency for me to have my gallbladder removed becaue of the size of the polyps. I was given some quite scarey infromation on my own condition, so I acted accordingly.

I don't mean to frighten you but I wanted you to know about the urgency of this.

Hope this is of help to you.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 08-02-2005 at 11:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
(female)

fishgal HB User

goldenwings,
Thanks you so very much for the reply. I had done some research and discovered what you told me is pretty factual. Based on what I saw, if the surgeon does not want to remove it, I'll look for one that agrees with me. What causes the polyps - what are they made of?
Thanks again,
fishgal

Old 08-02-2005, 12:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello fishgal,

I am glad to be of help to you. I have no idea what causes them just that they are growths on the gallbladder wall. Sometimes though they can be diagnosed as small lumps of cholesterol that are embedded in the gallbladder wall.

Having said that though true polyps are growths in the gallbladder wall. They normally tend to occur in older people, but I guess I was just unlucky.

Gallstones are most commonly composed of cholesterol. They move around and block the ducts that bring bile into or out of the gallbladder. As you kow though polyps are actually attached to the gallbladder wall, so thre is no movment at all.

I agree with you, if you are concerned get as much information from the surgeons as you can. My situation was as I said urgent, I'm not saying that all cases are but I was glad to have such a wonderful surgeon looking after me.

As I said, this is only information I got from my own sources. Hope it helps.

goldenwings

Closed Thread