It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 05:45 AM   #1
(female)

greeneyes109 HB User
heart attack with gall bladder attack

My husband, who is 47, suffered a heart attack last week, had a stent put in to correct a 98% blockage, and on the next day had a very bad gall bladder attack and had his gall bladder removed laproscopically. He was told that this was not a "mild" heart attack, nor was it "severe". Somewhere in the middle...We have an appt. for an echo next week, but the nurse told us before we left the hospital that his EF (ejection factor) was 71. She said that was normal. Does anyone know if damage to the heart muscle will affect the EF? I guess I'm just trying to convince myself that his heart isn't too damaged. His doc also said that he has a 50 to 60% blockage in a main artery that he can't repair with a stent. In 3 months we will have to go in for bypass surgery, but he told us of a way to do it with an incision between the ribs and not having to open the rib cage. Does anyone know anything about this type of surgery? My husband is a smoker who has had 5 stents put in over the last 10 years. He never got scared enough to quit, and I'm trying to stay positive about all of this and think of it as God's way of making him pay attention to what he needs to do. He hasn't smoked in 10 days (that I know of) and I hope and pray he can stop. I thank any of you on your input or ideas. I am so scared I feel like I'm losing it sometimes. Maybe if I had more info I could relax a little. Thanks again.
Roxy in Louisiana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2005, 08:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: heart attack with gall bladder attack

greeneyes,

If someone won't stop smoking after 5 stents, I think it will take an attack of DEATH to do it.

I would normally recommend that someone in his boat lower his total cholesterol to the mid 100's and his LDL below 80 with drugs and diet so that the 50-60% blockage STAYS there. THere need be no inevitablilty to that bypass.
But alas, if he can't stop smoking, there's no way that he'll be able to get his blood lipids that low.

I DO hope that they perfect that surgery so we don't have to look forward to being split open stem to stern every time they want to do a heart repair.

A bad heart attack will lower the ejection fraction so he's doing well with an EF of 71. Unfortunately a heart attack that kills part of the heart can mess up the rhythm patterns and thus create future risk of tachycardia and other dangerous problems even with a good ejection rate. At least a good ejection rate makes for a normal quality of life with blood getting where it's supposed to.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:19 AM   #3
(female)

greeneyes109 HB User

Thank you Lenin, for your response. He seems to feel good, and today he is going to the hunting camp with some other men to put up a deer stand. He swears he won't do anything but watch and I want to believe him but I'm still afraid. It will be two weeks Tues. that he had the heart attack and I know he isn't supposed to get tired or overheated. I have no idea what to do. I can't sit on him and keep him from doing anything. And as far as the smoking goes, he doesn't smoke at home, so I figure if he thinks I don't know he is smoking, at least he will do it less. I don't know for sure if he is, but I know him so well and he couldn't quit any of the other times. He IS on meds for cholesterol, has lost weight, is exercising, but what good is any of this if he doesn't quit smoking? I have to wonder...Anyway, thanks again for responding. I feel like I'm alone in my battle to save him. His family all smokes and are the type to give him cigarettes when he wants them. (I'm having a hard time not hating them right now)

Old 09-11-2005, 03:30 PM   #4
(male)

Bharat2005 HB User

Please, please make him stop smoking somehow. Smoking IS the biggest contributor to his coronary artery diease progression.

Smoking worsens CAD by its multi point attack and aggravates it in lightning speed.
It lowers HDL and raises LDL
It causes coronary and cerebral artery contraction (reduction of lumen size)
It increases blood cloting
It adds adhesiveness of platelets and fibrinogens
It destroys lungs thereby makes heart pump harder and faster to circulate oxygen
It causes thromboangiitis.

Every year 1.5 million people die in europe due to diseases directly caused by smoking. Surprisingly, most of them die due to heart problems and stroke, not by lung cancer as people may be prompted to think.

I was a chronic smoker too, I know quitting is hard, but it is possible. I had been smoke free for past 5 months and feels great!

Closed Thread