It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2005, 06:13 PM   #1
(female)

Gidget6923 HB User
Gallbladder Polyp??

Hello. I am really worried. A few years ago after many years of awful pains on my right upper abdomen I finally got an ultrasound. My doctor found a 5mm polyp on my gallbladder and said my gallbladder was inflammed. He said this was not a cause for worry and I don't need my GB out. I still have had gallbladder attacks and have been in for 3 more ultrasounds since. My doc says no stones but the polyp is now 7mm. He believes it's a cholesterol polyp. I just told him to take it out because I have health anxiety and I'm sick of worrying about it. He said no. All the research I've done says that if a polyp on the GB causes symptoms then it should be removed. Does anyone else have a polyp on the GB? Will it become cancer? Should I be worried or just let it go?

Old 10-16-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Gallbladder Polyp??

I don't know about what risks it may pose, but I would think that if it is causing pain, the thing should come out. Have you tried getting a second opinion? My gastro doc insisted that my pain wasn't caused by my gallbladder (even though I had stones), but at my insistence he referred me to a surgeon anyway, and the surgeon basically said that it was a fairly emergent condition and needed to come out asap. So doctors sometimes have very different views on diagnosis and treatment! I would try getting a second opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2005, 07:38 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

I had my gallbladder out in March because of many small cholesterol polyps and inflamation. I had pain under right rib cage that would radiate to my back between my shoulder blades, nausea, bloating. Once I got it out the pain and bloating were gone but the nausea is still here. I also have gastritis that is probably causing the nausea. The pain will continue until it is removed. It started to get so bad near the end that even water was causing pain for me.
If you think that it's your GB that is causing the symptoms then I would get it out. If your polyp is growing and you have symptoms then I would see a gastro dr. and get his opinion on it.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
(female)

Gidget6923 HB User

Thanks for the replies guys. Anyone else have experience with gallbladder polyps? There really isn't much information on the net about them.

Old 10-24-2005, 02:26 PM   #5
(male)

tattooyu HB User

I had visited my doctor try and diagnose epigastric pain, bloating, constipation/diarrhea, etc. It showed two polyps (which are almost always benign) and a slightly thickened GB wall, but no "stones." He ordered me to have an ultrasound earlier this year.

[Actually, I was freaked because I thought I might have had an aortic aneurysm...I'm a worry wart. The aorta was normal.]

I asked my doctor to refer me to a gastro, which he did with no hassles. My gastro thought it might be reflux, so he wanted me to take meds for that...boy did they make me sick!

Since I wasn't improving, the gastro decided he wanted to do an endoscopy to check for ulcers, gastritis, reflux, etc. That was normal.

Then, my symptoms started to ease a bit, so he said to call back for a re-do on the ultrasound if they come back. He said the polyps might well be stones. He was reluctant to do a HIDA w/CCK (he said that's reserved for acute cholecystitis cases).

Well, the symptoms are back! I'm going to make an appointment after my trip back from NY.

If the ultrasound doesn't show stones, and he does suggest a cholecystectomy (removal of the GB), I will not do it without doing a HIDA w/CCK. I'm not going to remove an organ unless I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's actually not functioning.

That's my story!

Old 10-25-2005, 08:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User

I'm also dealing with a polyp right now. I've known it was there for about 4 years but didn't bother me too bad until recently. I have an ultrasound on the 4th and if it has grown more I think they are going to remove it. I can't eat anything without getting horrible pains on my right side and into my shoulder blade. My doctor told me that it is usually the really large ones that can become cancerous. I don't know what her idea of large is though. If yours is growing and your doctor isn't willing to do anything I think I would find another doctor at least for a second opinion.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
(female)

SunflwrH HB User

Hi guys!

I just recently went into the doctor and had a full abdominal ultrasound done because I was expriencing bouts of high blood pressure and stomach pain under my right rib cage, sometimes in the middle to the far right and in the back (but it hasn't been in between my shoulder blades yet), it changes during the day, mostly discomforting at night and after I eat.

Well, I couldn't stand the wait anymore to hear back the results so I called 2 days after the ultrasound and spoke to the nurse, she told me that I had a polyp on my gall bladder, I have never heard of a polyp being there but I went with it, and my gall bladder was slightly enlarged. She then explained to me that I would have to wait the following day (which is today and still no call) to hear what the doc wants to do about it.

This has been going on for quite some time but recently its been extreme. And every so often I will have pain in my lower left side of my stomach. Well with all this pain, I've been extremely bloated (almost look like I'm 6 months pregnant at times), I've had heartburn, vomitting and diaharria; Plus to top it off I have congestive heart disease with fits of high blood pressure, my blood pressure was 162/110 at the doc, and I've been really dizzy, which is results from my high blood pressure. I'm 31 yrs old 5'5" and 130LBs now, I've lost about 8 pounds since this has been going on for the last month.

I'm not that familiar with polyps since my problems have always been heart related in the past but aren't they a pre-cancious growth? Any growth in my abdomial area is scary to me! Do they just go away if you don't have your gall bladder taken out or is there some medication that you can take to reduce the size? The nurse didn't tell me how large it was in cm or anything, but this kind of freaks me out now!

I will post a new bulletin when I find more out or hear what the doc wants to do... but to each of you, good luck in your search!

Thanks!
Oklahoman in Pain!

Closed Thread