It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
(female)

Elliesmom HB User
Unhappy Pain after gallbladder removal

I had my gallbladder removed 9-28-05. I honestly was reluctant to have the surgery, because I had little pain. I got sick with what I thought was the flu, but I went to the ER after I hadn't kept water down for 24 hours. After many tests (and a hepatitis scare), they determined I had a gallstone blocking an unusual duct in my liver (most people it is the common bile duct - not me). After my liver recovered I let them take out the GB.

I have been in terrible pain ever since. Any time I stretch/flex my abdominal muscles, cough, or sneeze it feels like I am being stabbed in the stomach right below my rib cage on my right side. If I irritate it several times during the day, it will throb for a while (more of an ache than the stabbing pain). I saw my DR 2 weeks after the surgery and he was unconcerned, but told me to keep taking the motrin he had prescribed. I have, but I am still having this pain. I am going to see him again in a week.

Has anyone ever had this problem after GB surgery?

Old 10-19-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
(female)

dwallech HB User
Re: Pain after gallbladder removal

I had pain after my surgery as well. Also I thought I was losing my mind one day when I felt as though it left a huge whole inside and everything was trying to find each other inside. Everyone I have spoken with states this feeling will go away in time, but last night it was just as if I had just had my surgery all over again. It comes and goes. I had a stroke not too long after my gall bladder surgery, so I am still recovering from that as well. The main thing is the odd feeling, strange food problems and being extremely fatigued. It is still six months after my surgery and somethings seem like they are taking a long time to heal. Did you have staples for your incisions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
(female)

Elliesmom HB User

I had Lap. surgery, all I have is four small incisions that were taped closed. I see my Dr tomorrow, so hopefully he will have some ideas on this pain. I have noticed that it is limited to the obliques on my right side (as long as I don't stretch or flex them I am ok). Any kind of jarring hurts (still can't run, even the elliptical is getting too painful), but I think that is to be expected. We'll see.

Old 10-24-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

One month is not that long! Gosh! Now I did jog 2 miles one week to the day after mine but I had built up a lot of milesge before the surgery anticipating the time off. Since you had 4 incisions you've got a little more damage than I did. I only had 3 and was sore for about 2 months. After all, they blew you up like a balloon and bruised your insides something awful! The worst sore spot I had was just to the right of my bellybutton....gosh! It was as you described with the jarring, sneeze, cough, etc. Take it easy on yourself....maybe take some pain med before you jog...anyway, it will work its way out.....

Old 10-25-2005, 01:13 PM   #5
(female)

Elliesmom HB User
Smile Re: Pain after gallbladder removal

Saw Dr today, he thinks pain is from an internal stitch that hasn't dissolved. It is put in to keep you from getting a hernia and takes 6-8 weeks to dissolve. I'll be marking it on my calendar how many days I have left

Closed Thread