It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2005, 03:16 PM   #1
(female)

Ladybandit08 HB User
Can you eat normally after having gallbladder out?

Just curious...I dont plan on eating normally any time soon, but i am just wondering when i can eat more than soup. I have lost 47 pounds in the past two months. I eat once a day, a bowl of soup. I am weak feeling and dizzy a lot. I am 9 days post gallbladder surgery. Had one bad attack that felt like a gallbladder attack, they said it was post operative pains..pfft.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Old 11-17-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User
Re: Can you eat normally after having gallbladder out?

You can try low-fat foods and gradually add in higher fat foods. But do it very gradually or you could end up with nausea, cramps and diarrhea (which I still get today and I had mine out in March!) I have the odd day where I get weak, dizzy and nauseous--which I think is my blood sugar dropping below normal--when that happens I suck on a sucker for a bit till it stops. If I eat too quickly I end up having diarrhea. I also get days where I have odd aches/pains about an hour after eating in the GB area but there not as severe as before I had it removed--thank God!

I wish you well on your recovery--and take it easy!
Donna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2005, 05:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Yes, there is hope! I eat normally (and sometimes quite abnormally...) with no problems. I think it was at least a month, maybe two, though, before I could eat whatever I wanted. But now I can go ahead and eat anything... pizza, ice cream, peanut butter... no trouble at all. Just give it time.

Try eating more than once a day, though. As long as you stick to low fat, you should be able to eat enough calories that you aren't wasting away. Maybe try toast, graham crackers, potatoes, chicken... I don't really remember what I ate after surgery, but I know within a few days I was eating salads, soup, toast with jelly, omelettes made with egg substitute (no fat) and lots of veggies, low fat ice cream, cereal, and some other random meals my mom made for me that I don't really remember...

Old 11-17-2005, 07:59 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Nine days and you aren't on solid food???? Goodness! Eat a chicken or turkey sandwich...no mayo or cheese, of course. Rice, potatoes, steamed veggies, broiled fish, lean meat trimmed of any visible fat, salad with fat free dressing, toast, etc, etc, etc. Just eat low fat...I jogged 2 miles a week after I had mine out....of course, I jog all the time and my surgeon put no restrictions on me. But there's plenty you can eat...and a lot of soup has high fat content so you need to watch that...maybe just lentil soup (lots of protein, fat free, etc)....and you will have those twitches as I called them for some time...it's just the bile duct trying to kick in...and all that gas they blew you up with trying to get out! Good luck...

Old 11-17-2005, 08:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I have no problems or restrictions about what I eat. What is normal for one person is not that way for others.
My wife does not eat pizza, sandwiches including burgers or any condiments--- mayo, mustard, ketchup, any kind of salad dressings on a toss salad, casseroles, no cheese or any sauces w/ cheese, no sauces on food but that is normal for her.

I think eat what you want --- bile is a digester of fats -- digestive enzyme is what breaksdown all other foods.

Old 11-18-2005, 07:03 AM   #6
(female)

Ladybandit08 HB User

Thanks guys! I think I have developed a fear of foods lol..with all the pain they have caused me! I am so afraid if I eat anything I will get sick again. I've been eating mrs.grass soup for MONTHS now. One good thing is I lost all the baby weight I gained, and then 22 pounds more. Its just kinda hard cooking dinner for the family, and I eat my bowl of soup for the day or sit there with a glass of water.
Thanks for all the advice, I think I'm gonna go make some toast!

Old 11-19-2005, 03:52 PM   #7
(female)

jossr HB User

Not really, even though my doctor told me I could eat anything I wanted after my one week check up. I went out and ate pancakes and later ice cream. I had gas cramps for two weeks. It took me a complete year to eat my regular foods (fatty), but I didn't experience anymore more pain. I continued on a low fat diet for months but added more foods until now I am forty pounds heavier (gained back all the weight I loss). My problem was diareeah (sic) after I ate any fatty or greasy foods. Sometimes it didn't matter what I ate. But now, only french fries do it to me.
Don't be afraid. Just pace yourself. Eat healthy and you're be fine.

Old 11-19-2005, 04:47 PM   #8
(female)

Amluz HB User

I had my gallbladder removed 7 years ago. I am still very sick, weak feeling, nausea, constant pain like I still have the gallbladder, swollen abdomen and diarrhea. I've had lots of tests done and am currently taking nexium.
I've been diagnosed with gastroparesis, GERD, Hiatal Hernia and IBS with Diarrhea.
I had my speen removed due to ITP years ago and during a recent hospital admision they found out that I still have residual parts of my spleen.
I am very frustrated and don't know what to do.
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Closed Thread