It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
(female)

dream_fairy55 HB User
Talking How do they check your gall bladder???

Well I went to the DR yesterday and she thinks my problems are probably my gall bladder... so I have to have it checked 2 different appts and then go back for the results. Well I am wondering exactly how do they test my gall bladder??? And 2 different ways???

And if it shows I have a bad gall bladder, then what?

TY!

Sara

Old 01-13-2006, 12:20 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: How do they check your gall bladder???

Probably an ultrasound which will show if there are any stones and a HIDA scan which will show at what rate it functions (that is, what percentage of normal). You can then either just suffer and try to stick to a fat free diet and chance a stone getting lodged in a duct or you can have it out...which is a simple, 20 minute procedure done same day...they poke 3-4 holes in you and pull it out. I was off work 2-1/2 days, jogged 2 miles a week after. It's sore for a while but I was very glad to have it out.
Good luck....and just FYI,you should ask more questions of your doctor when he sends you off for tests....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2006, 12:25 PM   #3
(female)

dream_fairy55 HB User

TY for the reply. Yeah my NEW Dr was very RUSHED yesterday cuz one of her patients had to go to the hospital the same time I was there and an ambulance came. And I had already been there over 2 hours. Anyway, are these procedures easy? I guess I am not sposed to eat or drink 5 hours previous -ugh. One is at 9 am the other 11 am. I am pretty nervous about it... I hate having to go to the Dr.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

I had an ultrasound for pregnancy and had to drink a LOT of water, so I am assuming you'd have to drink a ton of water for that test too. What are your symptoms? I just had an endoscopy for stomach problems, but they found nothing at all and I'm wondering if I should request a gall bladder test.

Old 01-13-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Nope...they didn;t give me any such instructions but all I had was the ultrasound. Have no idea about the HIDA. Is that what they told you or are you just assuming it?
They don't sedate you....

Old 01-14-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
(female)

dream_fairy55 HB User

No they said NO drinking or eating 5 hours prior to the test for both tests.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:42 AM   #7
(female)

Gerdie HB User

I had an ultrasound and a HIDA to test for gall bladder problems. There was no prep that I remember for the HIDA. They insert an IV and feed in something that will simulate what your gall bladder and liver do when you eat. After testing, they feed in saline to stop the first medication. The test itself was sort of like a cat scan and they can watch the gall bladder function on a monitor. It was painless and easy. I experienced some pain during the test from the gall bladder problems I was having, but not from the test itself. In my case, my gall bladder wasn't emptying all the way rather than stones.

Don't worry about the tests. They are easy ones. Good luck!!
Gerdie

Old 01-14-2006, 11:00 AM   #8
(female)

dream_fairy55 HB User

Thanks so much Gerdie for the info!!

Old 01-14-2006, 12:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

No water drinking needed for an ultrasound of the gallbladder. Follow your doctor's instructions.

The ultrasound is very easy. You just lay there in the dark room and the tech puts gel on your stomach and moves this wand around and looks at the computer screen. Occassionally you have to take a breath and hold it so they can take a picture. Takes maybe 20 minutes.

The hida scan is also easy. You do need to get an IV put in, but that's the worst part. After that, you just lay there. If you have one, take your mp3 player to ward of boredom! They inject a small amount of a radioactive tracer through the IV. This gets picked up in the liver and put into bile, which goes into the gallbladder. They lay you on this skinny table and slide you into this ring-like machine (like a cat scan) that picks up the signals from the tracer. Over the next hour or so, they watch the tracer go through your liver and fill your gallbladder. When your gallbladder is full of bile, they inject a synthetic hormone (CCK) into the IV. This is the hormone that is released by the body when you eat a fatty meal. It causes your gallbladder to contract and squeeze the bile into the small intestine. So they watch to see how much of the tracer is squeezed out, thus getting a measure of function. The hida scan can take up to two hours, so it's not a bad test, just boring.

Closed Thread