It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
(female)

EmilyRL76 HB User
How long will I have to wait for Gallbladder surgery?

Hi, my name is Emily . I am a 30 year old mother of 4. I recently had a
HIDA scan that came back abnormal. My gastro said he will send a letter to my primary regarding the test results includeing his recomendation for gallbladder removal. Cause of abnormal result is unknown. I have a family history of gallbladder problems, I am 1 of 3 females left in the family with mine.
My question is what to expect now. I thought that the results would come back then the gastro would schedual me for surgery but I guess that isn't the case.
What is my primary going to do? Will I have to seek out a surgeon? How much
longer will this process take, I am in constent pain, obviously worsening after
meals, The pain has been bad since christmas.I have lost weight due to avoiding eating, I am tired, cold, crabby, and this is affecting my work. I am a daycare assistant working with over a dozen toddlers and infants thru out the day. It is not fair to them that I am short tempered and crabby.
My gastro told me to call my primary in a week, do I really have to wait that long? please advise me.
previously I was also refered to a uroligist that I have not seen yet due to chronic bladder/kidney infections. Could that be related to an abnormal HIDA scan?
I have had previous gallbladder pain in the past all tests came back unremarkable 2-3 years ago, and my HIDA scan 3 years ago came
back at 45% the most current came back at 30%. I have lost over 20 pounds from dieting between march 05 and july 05. I thought the weight loss would help. Any one with any info or advise would be great.

Thanks so much,
Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: How long will I have to wait for Gallbladder surgery?

When I finally convinced my gastro to refer me to a surgeon, it was about a two week wait to see the surgeon. I saw the surgeon and he wanted to take it out like the next day or something. I was going on an important trip, so I put it off for a week, but the surgeon was able to get me in for surgery within a week of seeing him. I think mostly it depends on how soon you can get in to see a surgeon, more than anything else.

In my opinion, it's ridiculous to have to wait a week for a letter to get from the gastro doc to your primary care... Why can't they fax it?

Old 02-09-2006, 10:41 PM   #3
(female)

Socagrl HB User

EMily
i am sorry this is all taking so long, i am sure you feel uncomfortable and what this over wtih already!

i think your primary will refer you to a surgeo then he will schedule your surgery for you, he will need to go over the procedure and recovery process.

only when it's an emergency do they do it right away- and yours seems chronic- like it's been going on a long time and is stable- so there doesnt seem like there's an urgent need for it- granted your pain is annoying and uncomfortable.

can you describe your constant pain? what does it feel like? where do you feel it? do you feel it in your back, front, sides...

thanks for sharing ..

Old 02-10-2006, 06:20 AM   #4
(female)

EmilyRL76 HB User

thanks for the info, I am going to call my primarys office today to see if they can give me some idea as to what to expect or if they can refer me to a surgeon over the phone.
My pain has been bad since christmas, it usually starts with an ache in my chest, on the right side, right above the breast, then I will feel a burning under my right rib cage, it intensifys till the whole right shoulder aches even in the upper right back hurts , and my right abdomin will feel like there is a knife in it the pain will travel arounds my side to my back, I am constently moveing my shoulder around to try and relieve the pain, tums, pepto, and zantach do nothing to relieve the pain. I get nauseated, and bloated, some times I develope a low grade fever and the chills, twice I developed diareah during the worst of the attacks. I have found that the worst attacks were triggered by dairy, milk, and soft cheese (velveta) I lost about 4-5 pound in a weeks time due to avoiding eating, I don't sleep well, and am always tired. My chest or shoulder will just start to ache at any time, and I can feeling burning in my lower right ab/side for hours to days at a time, very rarely am I without some form of pain.
I hope this helps, let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.
Em

Old 02-13-2006, 08:40 AM   #5
(female)

Socagrl HB User

EMily,

sounds a lot like me.

have you ever felt pain on your left side- in the back or on the side as well?

is your pain constant most of the time, mine is. I feel pain in my back all the time- almost never seems to go away- it just gets worse and less sometimes.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:51 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Stay away from FAT! No milk, cheese, etc....that will help till you can get the blamed thing removed. And then you'll need to stay on a no/low fat diet for 3-4 weeks after the surgery. Mine held at a low grade pain in the side for several weeks but I was eatingnothing but turkey/chiken sandwiches and plain baked potatoes. Got boring....

Old 02-13-2006, 01:15 PM   #7
(female)

van71 HB User

Sounds alot like me too...my pain started after meals in November. My hida scan also came back at 30% so my dr sent me to a surgeon who recommended I have it removed. I had surgery scheduled for Jan, then postponed because I started getting pain on the left and in my back so went for more tests. Had scheduled for last week then got a sinus infection so have to reschedule AGAIN. I HAVE to stay away from dairy, fatty foods, spicy food...very boring diet of chicken, rice, bread, veggies, etc. to avoid attacks, but still have constant annoying pain and cannot wait to get this out.

VAN

Last edited by van71; 02-13-2006 at 01:17 PM.

Closed Thread