It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 07:42 PM   #1
(female)

stellatj HB User
gallbladder surgery and blood clots

I know i get scared of everything i was so scared to go under and i did fine now my next fear is i see complications listed saying blood clots
i had the laproscopic how common is blood clots what can i do to avoid them.
i have been walking around. how long after the surgery can this happen
thanks

Old 05-12-2006, 07:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: gallbladder surgery and blood clots

Blood clots typically form in the veins in the legs when you are immobilized for some period of time, then travel (which is when they cause problems). So as long as you are getting up and walking every so often you should be fine. You should at least be getting up to walk to the bathroom every few hours or so, and then you can throw in longer walks (start with around your house, or down the street, progress to around the block and farther) a few times a day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #3
(female)

stellatj HB User

I have been up on my feet a lot since surgery wed i walk around the house and yard. how long can this be a risk from the surgery everytime i get a pain in my back i get scared i only lay down to go to bed at nite
sorry i am so nervous my hubby was killed by a drunk driver and i am all my children have

Old 05-12-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

It sounds like you don't have much risk at all, since you're up and about. It's mostly something that happens when the blood is allowed to pool in the legs and sit there, like when you aren't moving them at all. The pains in your back are probably the result of the gas that they inflated your abdomen with during the surgery. Sometimes they don't quite get all of it out, and it can be quite painful. People often complain of pain in the chest, back, or right shoulder from the gas. Of course, if you suddenly get a very bad pain (worse than the rest) or have difficulty breathing, that would be a sign of a clot.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:54 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I think you are way past any potential problems. And kehorner is correct...you are mobile so you've bypassed the cause. It's been what - 3 -4 days since your surgery?
You're fine. When you go to the doctor for your follow up next week, he'll cut you loose and that'll be it...all over and done. And quit reading about complications! Good luck!

Closed Thread