It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2006, 10:36 AM   #1
(female)

rhiannon777 HB User
hernia after gallbladder removal?

I am scheduled to have my gallbladder out tomorrow. I have been coughing due to allergies. Is it safe to cough after my surgery, or will that give me a hernia? I know a woman who swears she got a hernia afterward because she sneezed. Thanks!

Old 05-15-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: hernia after gallbladder removal?

Honey, you can find someone to swear to just about anything! I wouldn't be worried. You won't be able to cough that hard anyway. You'll be too sore. You might want to be sure and take your antihistamines during this time so you cut down on the need to cough. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2006, 12:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

It is possible to get what is called an incisional hernia after a surgery. This is where the skin heals, but the muscles don't heal together, so you get a bulge of intestines sticking out through the weak area of muscles (but still under the skin). This is a rare complication (and can be easily fixed...), but usually occurs with longer incisions. The gallbladder incisions are all only about 1/4 - 1/2 inch long, so they heal very well. Really, it would be a very very rare complication.

After abdominal surgery, you aren't going to want to cough, sneeze, laugh... It's going to hurt. When I was recovery, my mom was doing something extremely funny, but it hurt so much to laugh, so I was laughing at her and she was laughing at me trying not to laugh and it was just a very funny, but painful situation. So check with your doctor about what sorts of allergy medications you would be allowed to take with your post-op meds, if you think that you may need them to help with the coughing.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
(female)

JEANNIEMH2002 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon777
I am scheduled to have my gallbladder out tomorrow. I have been coughing due to allergies. Is it safe to cough after my surgery, or will that give me a hernia? I know a woman who swears she got a hernia afterward because she sneezed. Thanks!

i dont think that you can get a hernia after coughing or sneezing?because if you could everyone who has had surgery that cough would get one sounds a little strange to me?

Closed Thread