It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User
Gallstones after gallbladder surgery and ERCP

My husband had his gallbladder removed 1 1/2 yrs. ago and has been having pain (not severe, just nagging) and soreness in the area for about 6 mo. He had a CT Scan last week and they found 3 gallstones about 1/3 " in size, in the area of the gallbladder fossa. They sent the report to the surgeon who did his gallbladder surgery (lapo). He had his nurse call to set up an appointment, but said they usually do nothing about this. This is crazy.!!!!!! What about the pain, discomfort, and soreness???? I asked the nurse if he could ask his associate? She said he would and she would call me back.

Well, she called me back today and said the associate would call me tomorrow..................,that husband's surgeon didn't want to see him because it was nothing he could do. I was shocked!!!!

Should we be seeing a GI instead of a surgeon? I have been searching on the net and have read about ERCP. I think they can remove stones during this procedure, but some say it is dangerous...............that you can develop pancreatitis, and some say not. Would it be better to have this procedure or have the gallbladder surgery again? My husband is 64 and has had angioplasty 10 yrs. ago. Otherwise he is in good health.

Could someone please give me some information on all this?

Old 06-15-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Gallstones after gallbladder surgery and ERCP

bump bump bump

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2006, 01:07 AM   #3
(female)

~sunny~ HB User

I had an ERCP 2 years ago, 2 years after I had my galbladder removed. The ERCP was used as a diagnostic tool, as I was in the ER with galbladder like pain which I had been having attacks for weeks. They did find and remove 3 stones. There was no associated soreness like with having the actal galbladder removed.

Definately see a GI doc. I went to the urgent care and then to a surgeon when I had my galbladder removed. When I began having pain again the doctors (several that I saw over the course of a month) just injected me with pain meds and sent me home. My PMD wanted to do several tests first. My last trip to the ER the ER doc called in a GI to review my case. His diagnosis was right on target & I had the ERCP 12 hours later

Old 06-20-2006, 12:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sunny..............Thanks for your reply.Do you mind if I ask a few questions? How large were your stones? Did your GI think they were left in there by surgeon or did they form after surgery? Was the procedure painful? How long did it take? Did you have any complications? Was it an expensive procedure? I have read so many negative things about the procedure on here, but thought maybe it wouldn't be quite as dangerous to remove stones as it would be for other reasons. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
(female)

~sunny~ HB User

I don't know the size of the stones, but from the pictures I saw they were embedded in the tissue & you could see where that had been. My GI was not sure if they were residual stones or if they formed in the duct. Considering the fact that 2 years later the symptoms came back he began to think they were forming in the duct. He had planned to do another ERCP & place a stent the next time the pain occurred, but It has been 2 years since I last had the pain.

The procedure was not painful at all, it was done under "conscious sedation" similar to how the medicate you when you have endoscopy or an upper GI series. I briefly remember having a device in my mouth. There was no pain at all after the procedure. I think the actual procedure time was very short, thought I kinda of lost track of time as I was heavly medicated the previous night in the emergency room. I would think no more then 30 minutes. I , know the cost. I was in the hospital for 3 days, but some have it outpatient I believe. Lucky for me I have insurance and only had to pay a small co-pay, maybe $100.

Closed Thread