It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2003, 04:47 PM   #1

MamaSnooze HB User
Question Is my thyroid causing gallbladder trouble?

Ok...that's a wild stretch, I guess...but please hear me out because I know from reading and lurking that some of you are knowledgeable enough to qualify as professionals!

Various dx's:

1978.....severe gallbladder attack (hospitalized)
1991.....hypothyroidism
1992.....fibromyalgia (finally!)
2000.....severe ADHD (finally!)

I was dx'd hypo in 1991. Placed on .075 Synthroid. Had my bloodwork done annually...everything within "normal" range. Somehow though, I never lost any of the symptoms of hypothyroidism...for me those range from excessively dry skin to thinning hair and severe constipation.

Last year during a routine checkup for something else, I asked my DO what would happen if I just quit taking my Synthroid. I'm sure you can guess his reply...that I'd quit functioning. My response was that I wasn't functioning currently anyway, so just what would change, except having to pay for meds?

I researched for a while and presented him with Dr. John Lee's info about thyroid and fibro. He was willing to trial Cytomel (I already includ most of the rest of Lee's protocol in my lifestyle.) He gave me room to titrate up as far as 100mcg/day. Suddenly, I felt wonderful! I cut my Ritalin down to next to nothing because my brain worked. I cut my pain medication by 1/2 because I could. Within weeks I had energy, thickening hair, supple skin, and NO CONSTIPATION!

I am self-employed, and sometimes don't handle stress well. Right about the time I had to go back in for bloodwork, he happened to notice that my bp was quite high (normal for me is 120/70...it was 180/98. Oops.) He made a faulty assumption and decided the Cytomel was responsible, cut me back to 25mcg. I spun downhill. Several months later, bp under control, I'm back up at 50mcg now, he checks my blood again. TSH is suppressed (he's ok with that) T3 is pretty good, T4 is quite low.

He decides I ought to try Armour Thyroid. Long story short, I spend 6 weeks at 2 grains/day. My skin is dry, my weight ballooning, hair falling, CONSTIPATED again! He just did bloodwork last week (no results yet) but I'm sure the problem once again was lack of T3, as 2 grains of Armour only supplies 18mcg. So now I'm taking 1 grain and 50mcg Cytomel. Hoping this will effect a balance.

I eat pretty well. I grind wheat fresh and bake all my bread and muffins. I juice organic fruit and veggies (and I DO juice green as well as sweet...) Now, here's the problem. Last week I was juicing beets, carrots, and apples. I add lecithin, plain yogurt and flax oil to my morning smoothies. By seven that night, I was in the midst of a full blown gallbladder attack. This one was almost of the 'run for the ER' sort. When I finally vomitted, all that came up was shredded fresh fruit and veggies. Why didn't the exta cheese pizza I had the week before cause a problem? Why raw organic produce?

Since then, the pain has lessened, but continued all week. An ultrasound on Friday showed several sizeable stones and sludge.

Currently I'm taking Standard Process A-F Betafood before and between meals. I've added a full proteolytic enzyme tab 3-4 times/day as well. I'm starting to feel better but I'm still mostly constipated.

I've had a half dozen major attacks since first dx in 1978. No doctor has ever suggested surgery until this one. I'm not comfortable with this...mainly because I feel as if the connection between my thyroid and my gallbladder is shorter than it seems.

So...did the thyroid thing cause the constipation thing which caused the gallbladder thing?

I'm willing to try a cleanse/flush, but not until the pain/inflamation subsides. I'm willing to have surgery if it's the very best option. I'm willing to change lifestyles if that helps.

Any insight or experience anyone can offer would be so appreciated. I am posting this on another board about thyroid stuff too, ok?

Thanks so much in advance,
Snooze

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread