It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2003, 01:55 PM   #1

smilefrog HB User
Question Right side pain, worse at night. Gallbladder? or something else?

Hi all:

I was wondering if anyone out there is currently or has previously suffered from right side pain. The pain I have is on my right side, at navel level, and reaches around to my back. It used to be a dull pain and has turned into a sometimes sharp pain. I've been having this since November 2002.

It is worse at night, especially when I'm on my right side.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm waiting on health insurance before I can have further tests -- my UpperGI and Gallbladder Ultrasound both turned out fine -- no problems.

Oh, and I'm very gassy, which I'm not normally. I've read other posts where this can be attributed to gallbladder troubles.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2003, 02:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
From what I have heard, and in my experience, gallbladder pain in usually higher in the back than you are describing, my sister n law had terrible gall bladder pain and finally had hers removed, the pain was always in her upper back, and I had gallbladder pain during my second pregnancy and the pain was also in my upper back.
Not sure what may be causing your pain, perhaps someone else will have a better idea.
Let us know if you find out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2003, 08:26 PM   #3
(female)

T-bone-Mama HB User
You could have an ulcer, the best way to find out is through an endoscopy. I had stomach ulcers last year and had very similar symptoms.

Old 06-21-2003, 11:09 PM   #4
Inactive

isolated one HB User

It could be your appendix. Let me tell you about my experience. For about two years before I finally had my appendix removed, I would once in a while have very mild pain around the lower right in the area of the appendix but it would also happen in other areas, such as just below my right rib cage, near my belly button, or near my hip on the right side. Again, the pain was so mild that I wouldn't have given it much if any thought, however it concerned me when it happened in the lower right hand side. There were also a couple of times when I had a short lasting (a few minutes) but much stronger pain in the area of the appendix. Also, there were times where I had painless spasms in that area, as if a groin muscle was "twitching". I did worry that it was my appendix but assumed that, if I really had a problem, it would come in the form of the classic appendicitis story. There was one final warning sign more than a year before I had my attack of full blown appendicitis. I started having pain above my belly button that slowly moved to the appendix area, stayed there and slowly got worse. Earlier that day, I had strained to have a BM so I had hoped it was just a pulled groin muscle. The pain continued for hours and really had me worried but I had no nausea or fever so I just kept my fingers crossed and hoped it was not the appendix. This strong pain lasted into the next day and finally went away after two more days. For about the next year, I would still have the on and off mild pains as first noted. Then one day came where I started to have a very dull ache in the lower right area. During the day, it then transformed into what felt like indigestion, something I hardly ever have. By early evening, I started also having gas-like pains all over my abdomen but still no nausea. The pains started to get worse and I just knew something wasn't right so I decided to go to the ER. They gave me blood work and pressed on my stomach area and still couldn't figure out what the problem was. Believe it or not, the doctor then told me to go home and come back if I felt worse! I then threw a fit and INSISTED they find the problem because I then also had "the chills". That's when they noticed I was running a fever and had me do what's called a barium swallow, four glasses of the stuff. I then went for a CT scan and they finally told me that my appendix had to come out. Everything else went as smooth as could be. I had what is called a laproscoptic(spelling?) operation which only required staying in the hospital the follwing day. All the previous symptoms have been gone ever since. I've learned that a problem appendix doesn't have to make itself known all of the sudden. Warning signs can show up well in advance, the symptoms can be non-specific, and diagnosis isn't always so simple. I hope this helps.

Old 07-20-2003, 02:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
It could also be a symptom of Gerd.

------------------

Closed Thread