It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
(female)

paula43 HB User
Itching After Gall Bladder Removal -Bile Salts?

I had my gallbladder out 2 1/2 months ago. Aside from pains here and there, I was feeling better. Last week and today, I have had intense itching all over my skin. I searched this and found that itchy skin can be from too much bile salt...the same thing that can cause "bile salt diarrhea" which I had from eating too much fat a few weeks ago. Well, yesterday I ate a fatty meat sandwich and am wondering if this is what's causing the itching. This is much more annoying than the pain!

I know there are blood tests they can do to measure bile salts and I may have to ask for that if this continues. Has anyone ever had this or know more about it? I am hoping it's just something in the air...my friend and her husband are itching like crazy today also, as well as last week when I was. It's driving me crazy, any comments would be appreciated.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User
Re: Itching After Gall Bladder Removal -Bile Salts?

Hi Paula,

As you said, it could very well just be something in the air... do you have allergies by any chance?

Have you changed your laundry detergent recently? Just asking as sometimes we are sensitive to such things, and it can irritate your skin and cause the itching.

It also could be a bile duct blockage, which will cause bile to be deposited in the blood stream... and this will cause the intense itching.

I think with your gall bladder history you may want to have the bile ducts investigated a little more if it the itching persists. Did you have any stones by chance? or just a low ejection rate?

Do you have any other symptoms? Fatigue maybe? Usually a bile duct blockage will present with other symptoms. A blood test can rule out the bile ducts as the problem, as well as an ultrasound or ERCP. Maybe just ask your doctor to check liver enzymes as well.

Other than allergies/irritation and the bile duct thing, I have no idea what could cause such intense itching... I hope you are feeling better

Last edited by Angela22F; 07-25-2006 at 12:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2006, 05:01 AM   #3
(female)

paula43 HB User

Thank you Angela. I haven't changed my detergent. There may be something in the air since so many of my friends are also itching like mad right now. I wouldn't want an ERCP after what I've read but would like a blood test if this continues. Yesterday I didn't itch at all, it comes and goes. I have no other symptoms, had pain but I ate too much fat and had a lot of gas. I didn't have stones, just a low ejection rate of 14%.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:18 AM   #4
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

Hi paula,

I had several ocasions of severe itching ( I mean severe !) in the months prior to the GB removal. We kept thinking I was allergic to medications--but since I have't had the itching since the GB came out, I imagine it must have had something to do with the diseased GB. Like you I did not have stones, just poor function ( 20%). I still wonder if I may have had a stone stuck in the bile duct which may have passed thru causing the severe pain post op--there was one night that I swear SOETHING was trying to move thru that darned duct--it was intense. Have not had that since. The MRCP showed a patent duct, so if I did have a stone there, it must have passed.

It might be helpful for you to ask your doc for an MRCP which is simply an MRI of the ducts. With all the problems you've had I think an MRCP would be a reasonable exam to have done.

Good luck & let us know how you make out ~

Closed Thread