It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2006, 06:28 AM   #1
(female)

paula43 HB User
Going Off Prevacid After Gall Bladder Removal...Magnesium and Diarrhea Issue

I had my gallbladder out 2 1/2 months ago. I have been on Prevacid for 2 years. The GI dr. did an endoscopy a week before I had my gb out just to make sure there are no other problems. He saw mild esophageal irritation and told me this can occur even on Prevacid.

I tried weaning off the Prevacid on my own, taking one every other day. I was ok until I had too many fatty foods and had reflux symptoms (nothing came up, just had back and esophagus pain) a few days ago so I went back on the Prevacid. I would like to try again, promising myself to be on a lowfat, anti-reflux diet. Here is my question: if I switch to magnesium as was suggested by the top thread on this board...I am afraid of diarrhea, which it can give you. I already experienced the bile salt diarrhea and it's no fun never knowing when you have to explode, can't travel, etc.

Is there something I can take along with the magnesium to balance this, to avoid the runs? Is anyone here on a PPI such as Prevacid, Nexium, Prilosec, Aciphex and also had their gallbladder removed...or didn't...and weaned off? Or switched to a milder drug like Zantac? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2006, 07:46 AM   #2
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User
Re: Going Off Prevacid After Gall Bladder Removal...Magnesium and Diarrhea Issue

Hi Paula,

I can't help you with your question--I was just put on Prevacid since the gallbladder came out in april. How much magnesium are you planning to take ( sorry didn't read that thread..).
I don't think a usual daily dose of 400-500 mgm will increase or add to your diarrhea issues.

I am doing much better--the pain is just about gone--I don't think about it constantly like I used to. Once in a while I get a pinch in that area, but bearable. I am eating just about anything I want now. Did notice some really bad gas release after eating things like pepper & onions so have to avoid that stuff for a while I guess.

I have stopped driving myself crazy with worry about the SOD stuff...thank God--I had myself crazy with that one.

Hope you are feeling much better soon. How's the porta potty in the car working out? Any tickets from the police yet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2006, 08:37 AM   #3
(female)

paula43 HB User
Re: Going Off Prevacid After Gall Bladder Removal...Magnesium and Diarrhea Issue

Hi anxiousinnj, I could be you...you sound exactly like me with the SOD thing, I have convinced myself that I have that and every other complication. I am trying to not do this but being that I did not have stones, I read that it's more prevalent. I sometimes wish I didn't have this computer!

I haven't used the potty yet LOL...can you imagine the cops seeing me do that, that would be very embarrassing but when you gotta go, you gotta go! Well, good luck with the Prevacid...why did they give it to you? Did you have an endoscopy to see if you have reflux or was it just based on your symptoms and did you have reflux before the gall bladder surgery?

I put bricks under my bed...even on the Prevacid I had an occasional episode of acid coming into my throat. Since then I do not but still get pains if I have the wrong foods. I have a lot of gas now, if you saw my post about the olive oil, something got me and I had severe upper right side pain, was going to go to the ER, scared to death but I think it may have been gas. Maybe it presses on the surgical site and gives us more ain than before, just a guess but I wish I could just have a normal body. I am glad you're feeling better too, you have been through a lot, I believe it was you who had the MRCP. Thanks so much for replying, I really appreciate it.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

paula,

You are doing the right thing by elevating the head of your bed to prevent stomach acid from traveling up your esophagus when laying down.

As you know magnesium in material doses is a laxative -- Mlik of Magnesia is magnesium hydroxide, Epson salts is magnesium sulfate, and Magnesium Citrate is what the green botlle says -- a citrate -- ALL are laxatives in material doses. Meaning when you take what it tells you to take for a laxative.

The magnesium that you take as a mineral supplement is only 400 mgms daily and does not cause diarrhea or loose stools.
It is also best to take it in divided doses -- so it is absorbed more readily. If you take it all at once -- you absorb less than 10%.
Taking it 3 times daily --in divided doses --you absorb about 35 to 40%.

Also, the most readily absorbed magnesium is the chelated type. It is attached to a protein amino acid. It is made and patented by Albion Labs and sold to many different companies -- I have used Doctor's Best, Solgar, Kal and Carlson. But, other types work OK but not the best.

I wish you well~~~Harry

Last edited by Harry; 07-28-2006 at 10:02 PM.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
(female)

paula43 HB User

Thanks, Harry. I will look it up but one question..is the best type for my purposes chelated magnesium citrate or another form? If it is citrate, will the citrate irritate the stomach? I read blue pumpkins thread but never did get the answer as to what type was best.

Can you recommend the best way to wean off Prevacid, like one every other day, etc.? I know everyone is different but wondering from what you've read, what might be best in order to make the transition to magnesium. Thanks again.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Paula,
All of bluepumpkin's thread was written 3 years ago -- we learned more since then.

The form of Magnisium Citrate is not a chelated form.

My experience with weaning off a PPI is-- I just quit -- I never have taken a PPI for more than 2 weeks and if I get a re-bound effect-- I take Tums but I eat a blander not a grease diet until I feel OK.

As you know the gallbladder's function is to regulate the bile for digestion of fatty foods--- Now with no GB then you have no regulation -- so stop eating the fatty,oily grease foods --- until your body adjust to being w/o a gallbladder.

Some people do OK but others have Bile Salts diarrhea for awhile because their system just puts out too much bile-- as you say --we are all different.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 07-28-2006 at 02:04 PM.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:35 PM   #7
(female)

paula43 HB User

Harry, I apologize for asking again but I am not clear on this. You entioned getting chelated magnesium 400 mg. but you also mentioned magnesium citrate. Which one is the best one to get then, whch one do you use? The one from the lab you mentioned is just called chelated magnesium? (with no other words like potasssium or citrate?) I want the one you said would not cause diarrhea. Thanks again.

Old 07-28-2006, 04:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

It should just say --- Chelated Magnesium-- nothing else.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Paula--
I am now using Doctor's Best -- it says "High Absorption Magnesium" on the front of the container. And Magnesium chelate on the back.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:14 PM   #10
(female)

paula43 HB User

Thank you so much for this information. I will look into it. I am a bit nervous though. I skipped some days of Prevacid in the past 2 weeks and tonight I had a lot of pain. It goes to my back, face, jaw, even temples. There was a thread about gas in the back recently and this seems pretty common. I have had it on and off for years, thinking it's my heart but EKG's and stress test were fine. It's just terrible gas and probably a combination of an irritated esophagus, been hurting on and off now for 5 hours. I'm back on Prevacid and petrified to go off of it now after tonight's episode. I have to add that I ate the wrong foods today so tomorrow I go back to lowfat and acid free foods (had gallbladder out recently so fats hurt me also). This is just so frustrating! I wonder if the magnesium would help during an attack like this. I took Tums, ginger tea, chamomile tea, 2 Gas tablets and it still hurts. If anyone has advice as to what to do during a really painful episode, please post it. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:01 AM   #11
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

HI again,
Re: the Prevacid--I had an endoscopy prior to the gallbladder issues because I had repeated ear infection & the ENT saw inflammatin in my esophagus. Endoscopy showed non erosive esophagitis--thus I went on Prevacid 1 x day.
Now AFTER the gallbladder came out is when all the real problems came, long story short is upper GI showed gastritis which was NOT there prior to the GB surgery. Like you I googled myself to death & was sure it was from the bile duct issues. Went on Prevacid 2 x day & am still on but hoping to get that back down if possible, I don;t have any abd pain like I had when the gastritis was diagnosed--hopefully all healed. It was epigastric pain & severe upper left quadrant pain & under left ribs--thus I thought it was the pancreas because I was sure I had SOD. MY MRCP was normal BTW--big relief.
Hopefully those worries are behind me, although I still get that twinge of worry when I read of those having problems 5 yrs down the road...can't think about it, that's all.

I hope you are feeling better--you have been through a lot too !!
There are days I just wish I could get a body transplant...

Old 08-03-2006, 06:43 AM   #12
(female)

pbjmom HB User

Good morning, everyone!

I am going to my surgeon today to schedule the gallbladder removal. I have had two large stones for years and am becoming symptomatic of gb disease. I am very curious about the magnesium supplement and post-gb surgery. I understand from the posts that people are concerned about diarrhea, but is it possible that the magnesium could help when eating food that causes diarrhea. Also, does anyone know what a bile salt supplement does? Can you take that to break down the bile in your stomach as well?

Thanks in advance for your advice and input. Having these boards is helping me so much prepare for this surgery.

pbjmom

Old 08-03-2006, 08:26 AM   #13
(female)

paula43 HB User

bpjmom, I am concerned about magnesium because I have acid reflux and would like to get off Prevacid. I wouldn't suggest magnesium as a post-gall bladder remedy for diarrhea. It can cause diarrhea. You would want calcium carbonate if anything for that. However, you might want to google cholacol after gall bladder surgery. That's a bile salt that is supposed to help digest fats so that you don't get diarrhea. I haven't tried it myself but may in the future.

There's also something called cholestyramine which people try when nothing else works. Hopefully, you will be one of the lucky ones and won't need any of this! Just go real easy, as you will read here, many of us learned the hard way. I have had a few episodes of intense pain and yellow diarrhea after eating just a drop of fat so I am back to fat free. Everyone is different so the best advice is to introduce fats extremely slowly after the surgery. I don't know the answer to your question as to breaking down bile in the stomach but the first search I suggested might tell you that. Good luck with the surgery and let us know when it's scheduled for so we can send good vibes your way :-)

Old 08-03-2006, 08:45 AM   #14
(female)

pbjmom HB User

Thanks Paula43!

I will look up the cholacol (sp?) and calcium carbonate. This board has helped me prepare for this and to be knowledgeable to the surgeon. I will definitely let you know when I am having surgery. I have a group of girlfriends and are always sending good "vibes", so youmade me smile when I read your post! Thanks!

pbjmom

Old 08-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #15
(female)

pbjmom HB User

Hi anxiousinnj,
I am wondering what SOD is? I just had my gallbladder removed and haven't heard of that. My guess is sudden onset diarrhea. You also said something about not having stones as well. Is there a link between stones and SOD?

I am just trying to learn as much about life without a gb. I had mine out yesterday (8/7). All went well.

Thanks,
pbjmom

Closed Thread