It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2006, 06:25 PM   #1
(female)

crampster HB User
Gallbladder surgery incisions

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for gallbladder surgery incisions to heal. It has been about 2 weeks and although they are getting smaller it seems to be taking a long time for them to heal. I did not have stiches just tape .. I don't know if they would have healed faster with stitches.

Old 08-12-2006, 07:10 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Gallbladder surgery incisions

Not sure about your definition of "heal" but as far as mine went, it took quite some time. Now, I had steri-strips on mine because I'm allergic to the adhesive on bandages. Second day I showered and washed them off (per doc's orders). The after one week, I went back to doc and he removed the one non-dissolving suture I had. So, technically, I was "healed" as the incisions were closed. But insofar as totally healing - no tenderness, no sensitivity, smoothed out...we're talking months. Use some vitamin E oil or \
mederma to smooth out the scars.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2006, 02:03 AM   #3
(female)

crampster HB User

Thanks Titchou... tnats what I was afraid of. I'm returning to work on Tuesday and mt incision sites still a little puffy and tender...still have scabs on them. Having difficulty wearing anything other than nightshirts. Guess i will have to put bandaides on.

crampster

i

Old 08-13-2006, 05:01 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I had to wear a cami instead of a bra for a while and only pants or shirts that had elastic in the waist. Guess that was for about 2 weeks. Then I just started trying different clothes until they didn't bother me any more. I forget how many incisions you had but I had 3. All right in a straight row up from the bottom of the belly button.

Old 08-13-2006, 06:29 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

my incisions took about 6 mos before they didn't bother me at all. had 6 cuts scattered all over the biggest at my navel. i also found vit E oil to be the ebst thing. i bought capsules and broke them open. if i had any left i put it under my eyes and around my lips as a great moisturizer. don't worry they take time to stop annoying you.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:17 AM   #6
(female)

crampster HB User

Thanks for the tips. I have 4 incisions one right in my belly button.. that one seems to bother me the most. Then I have 2 on the right and 1 right by my sternum where my bra would hit. I'm going back to work on Tuesday and trying to figure out what to wear so your tips are helpful ... guess I will have to go shopping for new undies. I am already at the point I have to wear elastic in my pants... that I kinda figured since I don't wear my pants on my hips like the teenagers/juniors do. I was waiting until the scabs were off to start using vitamin E on the sites... which will probably be another week or so.

If you come up with any other suggestions that would be helpful let me know.
Thanks,
Crampster

Old 08-15-2006, 08:16 AM   #7
(female)

Gigi D HB User

Crampster, weren't your incisions sealed with surgical glue? Mine were and the incision starting at my navel bothered me the most, too. All that collected glue in my belly button really irritated me. I went to a doctor last week and he said I could start peeling it off, so I got all of it out of my belly button and that seems to have helped a bit.
My incisions are all still scabby as well. My upper incisions don't bother me at all-just the one at my navel, especially when I sit. I wear a lot of skirts that I can keep low on my hips so that the material isn't rubbing up against it, and slouch when sitting (I know, not a pretty way to sit but sitting upright bothers that area more so what can you do?!!?).
Hope your day goes well-working with high schoolers can be challenging even when at your best, so I'm thinking of you!

Old 08-15-2006, 09:35 AM   #8
(female)

pbjmom HB User

I had staples. Yuck! I remembered those from my c-section with my twin boys and dreaded the staples then. I had four incision sites as well. I have been able to wear a bra, but wear elastic or pants that got too big due to eat less and not wanting to trigger an attack.

I got my staples out yesterday and my surgeon said that my gallbladder was definitely diseased. Two really big stones, wall of gallbladder was thicker than supposed to be and green mucous type stuff covering it. It was close to being really bad, so I am glad it came out when it did.

I hope everyone is doing better with their recovery! Have a great day!
pbjmom

Old 08-15-2006, 06:55 PM   #9
(female)

crampster HB User

Don't think I had surgical glue... Just steri strips. Incision sites getting smaller everyday. Now if the inside will just heal up....
crampster

Closed Thread