It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 08:16 AM   #1
(female)

aliciar1986 HB User
Exclamation Gallbladder Surgery Recovery

Well im 20 years old and just yesterday i was an outpatient to have my gallbladder removal surgery done, they told me there was a possibility that maybe i would have to have an incision done instead of the less invasive procedure they do which is called a laposcopy. but thank god they went with the laposcopy procedure. The anesthesia wore off last night and i woke up with some moderate pain, took 10 mg of vicodin and now its getting a little better.

Point is, I was wondering if any of you out there have had this surgery , and what can I expect from the day after surgery to the full recovery time , which is about 2 weeks , maybe less. Im concerned if i take a shower, or sleep on my right side (which is the side with the most pain), if i should be walking around or if i should be eating anything in specific. What was the average recovery time for any of you?. and when where you able to get back to your daily routine? Did any of you have any complications? such as infection, more pain, or other intestinal concerns? If so , what were they?

any of the questions answered would be a great help. Thank you all for reading and for your response.

Last edited by aliciar1986; 09-20-2006 at 08:18 AM.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:38 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Gallbladder Surgery Recovery

Well, your doctor should have given you instructions on when you can shower. Seems they all differ on this a bit. And you should be on a fat free - or as close to it as possible. Slowly start adding fat back in to see how it goes in two or three weeks. Frankly, for me it took about 3 months before I could eat what I wanted. And then every now and then I might have a flair up. You need to walk some...how much just depends on you and your level of fitness to begin with. At 59 when I had mine out, I jogged two miles one week later. But I'm a regular jogger and so I could handle it well. I was out of the gym for about 3 weeks before I started back on weight...and went slow in the beginning. At your age, you might want to get some vitamin E oil or Mederma to put on the incisions once the doc turns you loose...in order to keep the scars to a minimum. The one by my belly button is the only one that really shows up now. The other two are just sort of dots on my tummy! I was off work the day of the surgery and the day after. Then I worked a half day and then full time from then on. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2006, 03:37 PM   #3
(female)

danilee HB User
Re: Gallbladder Surgery Recovery

Let me say first off, EVERYONE is different!

I read these boards and I thought there must have been something wrong with me, because it seemed I was not recovering as fast as everyone else had!

I had my GB removed laparscopically 3.5 weeks ago. I had bad pain for 1 week, that gradually lessened. I was up and about like groery shopping and cooking again, at week 2. I am totally up and about now, but I took my time.
I am a stay at home mom, so going back to a place of employment was NOT an issue for me, Thank GOd! Some people go back quickly others need more time.

You should not lift anything more than 10 pounds, for I dont know how long...

As far as the shower, I showered the next day. I put the stockings back on after my shower and wore them for 48 hrs.

I was not told to eat any differently. I suppose you could eat whatever you can personally tolerate. Some foods still don't agree with me, but its pretty normal for fatty foods to make there way rather quickly hence the nickname of the White castle burgers being called "SLIDERS"... he he he

I hope that you have a safe and fast recovery. Don't rush it too fast.

Good luck!
Dani

Closed Thread