It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
(female)

dl0985 HB User
Gall Bladder Surgery and Chronic Diarrhea

After having my gall bladder removed in July, I immediately began having diarrhea. It has now been three months and I continue to have diarrhea daily, regardless of what I eat. I have had a colonoscopy with normal results.
I have been told that this is a pretty common after-effect of the surgery, but had I known this, I would have thought twice.
I wondered if anyone who is experiencing this has found a remedy or something to minimize the diarrhea? The doc suggested fibre 3x a day, but that doesn't work either. I thought, perhaps, there were some herbal supplements that would help.

Old 10-14-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Gall Bladder Surgery and Chronic Diarrhea

There is a prescription med that you can take before you eat. Forget what it is but am sure someone will jump in with it...or you can ask your doc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
(female)

MFord1206 HB User

I had my gallbladder out in April and have had issues with diarrhea also. My surgeon at first prescribed me Welchol to take for the diarrhea, but I had no improvement with it. So my GI wrote me a script for Cholestrymine (Questran) a couple of weeks ago, and it helps somewhat...I still go but not as much. Questran is a cholesterol lowering medication that helps to bind up bile salts, thus reducing post-cholecystectomy diarrhea. It comes in a powder and you mix it up with water and drink it. I take it three times a day, before meals. Hope this may have helped you.

Take Care,

Megan

Old 10-14-2006, 06:52 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Seems to me it began with a "d" and was a pill....should have kept the scrip....

Old 10-15-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
(female)

dl0985 HB User

Thanks so much for the info. I am going to ask the doc about the medications you mention.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Megan is right you have what is known as bile salt diarrhea-- Questran is the powder form that works to help the very loose stools -- in a person with a gallbladder it has a side effect of constipation.

The med also comes in a pill form-- Colisted.

Many people are bothered with this type diarrhea after having GB removed-- 20% or so.
Bile that use to be controlled by your GB is now un-controlled and it had a toxic type affect on the colon-- producing diarrhea.

I wish you Well~~~Harry

Closed Thread