It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 02:04 AM   #1
(female)

baby_bytes HB User
Question Has anyone had success after Gall bladder removal??

I'm supposed to have gall baldder removal surgery next thursday, 1/18 after more than a year of gallstone attacks...but everytime i try to go somewhere to look for information after surgery all I've read are horror stories and people feeling WORSE than when they still had their gall bladder. i've also read stories on where some people where planning to press charges, and all of this is giving me second thoughts on removing my gall bladder, especially since I will be leaving in the first week of march to work abroad. I haven't really read any success stories after gall bladder removal....so is anyone who hasn't suffered since their gall bladder removal????? and how long have you been without your gall bladder???

Last edited by baby_bytes; 01-12-2007 at 02:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2007, 04:53 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Has anyone had success after Gall bladder removal??

I've been without mine for almost 2 years. I am so glad I had it out! Very successful removal for me. You need to eat fat FREE for a good while after the surgery. I did for about 4 weeks before I started slowly introducing fat into my diet. Granted, I did have some issues with diarhea as thing went a long but that finally worked itself out as the bile duct finally kicked in. No problems recovering from the procedure itself. I was off work the day of surgery and the next day. Worked 1/2 day next and then full time after that.
Jogged 2 miles a week after having it out. Lots of people have great outcomes. The ones online typically as those who didn't. You'll do fine. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2007, 05:40 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

Alot of the stories you read on the internet are from people with problems looking for help. Most of the people with success stories probably are not posting on the internet because they are busy getting on with there lives. Try not to read alot on the internet because it will just scare you even more...I know from experience! The day before I went for GB surgery I read alot of horror stories of pain remaining afterwards, diarrhea, things going wrong during surgery, etc., etc., etc., which made me think twice. I ended up going through with it and came out just fine (with the exception of some bouts of diarrhea after eating fatty foods--which can be controlled by avoiding those foods).
I wish you luck on your surgery and I am sure you will do just fine!

Old 01-12-2007, 06:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

I think it depends on how bad your gallbladder is. I personally wich i never had mine out because I believe my doctor rushed into it and I never had a second opinion. My fault! I now have a problem with bile reflux which really sux. The surgery was cake though, no complications.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Johna HB User

In December I went into the emergency room because of extreme pain in the stomach area and vomiting for over 48 days. Within hours I had my GB removed because of gallstones. During the first week I had some diaherra and felt tired all the time. However after a month I feel great. Only problem is that I am refusing to change my diet! I love spicey food...especially Mexican food. After I eat it..I just make sure I am never the bathroom.
GooD Luck and just plan on taking it easy for a few weeks.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:19 AM   #6
(female)

auxano HB User

Hey I can so totally understand how you are feeling - I too went into surgery wondering if it was the right thing to do after reading from the internet.

I had my GB out 8 weeks ago. It seemed to take weeks before I felt "normal" again...I had diarreah each morning, but I started taking metamucil and it's now gone. I also used to feel ill if I ate anything "wrong" but I have noticed in the last week that I am pretty much eating anything now with no worries.

My Dr told me to eat low-fat for 4 weeks after surgery. Personally for me it should have been 8 weeks becasue it seems that my system has come to terms with no GB but it took 8 weeks.

I have family and friends who have had their GB's out over the years and they are all fine and happy.

Remember, no one who is happy and healthy is going to come to this forum to tell us that!!! It's only those who are struggling with an issue that come here. For every 1 bad story there are probably 100's of good happy stories.

Get in there and get it out....those attacks are only causing scarring and making your life misserable. Give yourself 3 months to fully recover - your digestive system needs to recover and re-organise itself. *If* you then find you have diarreah then come back here becasue people do have helps and ideas on how to successfully live with that.

Let us know how your surgery goes.
All the best
S

Old 01-13-2007, 04:33 AM   #7
(female)

baby_bytes HB User

Thanks all for your responses, I'm still a bit weary....I still have till at least Wednesday to decide. I think the main reason why I'm like this is because I'm leaving to work abroad the 1st week of March, and I really don't want to have any problems while I am away or have that stop me from going, I've worked for this so hard to go work abroad. I don't know I guess I'm not mentally ready either to have surgery, it would be my first one. I have been thinking of asking for those pills that dissolve the gall stones, I know what the risks are about them coming back, but I do plan to watch my diet as I have been doing for the past year in order for that not to happen. I will never go back to the diet I had before which was full of junk food and soda, greasy food, etc. As of right now, I'm still trying to decide if should get the surgery or not.

Last edited by baby_bytes; 01-13-2007 at 04:35 AM.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

If you are leaving to work abroad, you'd better get it out here. You don't want to end up in an emergency room in a foreign country with a stone caught in a bile duct! If you have it out now, you'll be 100% by March...

Old 01-13-2007, 09:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

My wife of 51 years had a gallbladder attack after eating a grease meal. First- only as well as last time.

She went to the ER at 1am on 11/16/06 and had her GB removed that night at 9 pm and at 3pm the next day was released from the Hospital.

She ate light for a few days and since then, she has done very well with no known problems.

She takes vitamins and minerals including Vitamin E, Omega 3 & Evening Primrose oils daily.

I had my gallbladder removed in 1997 and have had no problems.

There is a Lipotropic Complex put out Tyler that is used for helping digestion after GB removal. Since bile salts is not controlled after GB removal, some people put out too much or too little at times needed for digestion of fats. The complex was given to me by a Doctor to help digestion.

The process of having GB stones dissolve takes several years. And--Having a BAD gallbladder is very dangerous.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 01-13-2007 at 09:27 AM.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:10 AM   #10
(male)

aage HB User

I had my gallbladder out 31st of Descember (3wheeks ago). I mostly eat rice with shrimps and vegetable, also lot of whole wheet bred. But Im feeling fine. Almost no problems except a little loose stools the first days after the surgery and once a pain simular to gallbladder attack but much milder after eating chokolade.

For me the good part is that now Im loosing weight and I just feel better than I have for a long long time. Maby the swollen gallbladder was giving me symptoms long bf it was taken.

But I understand your hesitation, especially after reading about all the problms people seams to be having.

The mother of my X wife did have her gallbladder out few years ago. She felt much better after getting rid of it and told me that finally after getting it out she was able to eat about everything she wanted.

I wish you a good luck whatever you decide to do.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:33 AM   #11
(female)

LorieGB HB User

I had my Gall bladder removed 1/12/07, it's been two weeks and I have yet to feel better, still belching and indigestion problems. My biggest complaint right side quadrant pain (burning) which radiates to the back. I did not have gallstones. I started to have severe indigestion problems 3 months ago and couldn't eat anything without trouble. A Hida Scan revealed my gallbladder was paralyzed, ejection fraction 0%, completely not working. Decided to remove GB, thinking this would help the indigestion and right side pain. It's seems worse now. I am so scared to stay this way the rest of my life. I was diagnosed with Biliary Dyskinesia. So now I am thinking about having an ERCP procedure (risky for pancreatitis) and see if they can find any other problems maybe my bile ducts not functioning either.

Last edited by LorieGB; 01-27-2007 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Typos

Old 01-27-2007, 10:20 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

Had my gall bladder out by lap surgery in 1993. A week after removal I was back out in the field doing habitat resoration. I haven't had any problems since.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:24 AM   #13
(female)

baby_bytes HB User

again thanks for everyone's replies. and sorry for not replying sooner.

well i couldn't go through with the procedure. i just don't feel it's right. so today i have an appt with the doctor to see my other options. i would really like them to be lasered. i know i have a chance by them coming back. but i really feel they would come back if i return to my bad eating habits such as eating junk food. i know i wouldn't bc i've learned to eat healthy. someone said about me not wanting to get sick overseas once i leave. the ironic thing is i found i had gallstones overseas lol i had bad pain and was taken to the ER, and they diagnosed me with gallbladder stones. the country i'm going to is japan, not sure if i mentioned that before; but they were really great. so i know if something happens over there i will be alright. but now i have my time scrunched up since i have about a month before i leave.

also a few weeks ago, i felt something going on in my gallbladder, like if something was moving, or i really don't know how to describe it, i just felt something. but it didn't hurt or anything, i was in no pain whatsoever. it was really weird. this happened for a few days.

anyways. do laser procedures work? how about medicine. anyways, i will let you all know what the doctor says.

Last edited by baby_bytes; 01-29-2007 at 07:27 AM.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:27 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Gall stones are not really like stones but are mostly made up of cholesterol (lipids/fats) and are not broken up like a rock but takes several years of medication to dissolve them.

The gallbladder has no nerves -- so you can't feel anything moving around in the GB. Pain is usually produced when the bile that is about a pint daily is blocked by a gall stone. It backs up irritates the liver-- gets infected and can be life theatening.

You just have not had a true gallbladder attack yet--- when YOU DO-- not if you have one there will be no question of getting your GB removed.

Stones that I have seen range in size from a grain of sand to the size of a quarter. Smaller ones are just passed through the bile duct that is 6 to 8 mm in diameter.

Last edited by Harry; 01-29-2007 at 08:30 AM.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:21 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

I agree with Harry. It is very painful to have an attack. When I had mine I was on my bed curled up and crying. My husband came home and found me that way and took me to the ER. I was in extreme pain. That's when they found my stones.

Closed Thread