It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
(female)

Ladybiker HB User
HIDA Scan and Gallbladder

I had the HIDA scan today for gallbladder problems. As someone said in an earlier post, the hardest part is laying still. The last part of the test I experienced the extreme nausea. I've been having problems for about 6 months. Pain on the left side of the chest, kinda below the left breast. Sometimes it even feels like it's throbbing. (I've had all the cardiology test, not the heart). But for the past 2-3 weeks I can't even stand the sight of food. I'm hoping the HIDA scan shows my gallbladder is not functioning correctly, because if the HIDA scan turns out okay, I'm terrified as to what would cause the nausea and the pain on the left side of the chest (it's not on the right where the gallbladder is). But I am told pain can be on the left. Did anyone experience this with gallbladder problems? I can't eat -- just looking at food makes me feel ill. I haven't gotten the results of the HIDA scan yet, the technician was not allowed to say if he saw anything. I'm really scared. Thanks

Old 02-16-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
(male)

sadtummy HB User
Re: HIDA Scan and Gallbladder

I had my gall bladder removed this past Monday. My ejection fraction on the HIDA scan was 17%, which was below normal. I was definitely having pain and burning in the center and left sides of my chest. It also burned through to my back on the left side. In the weeks before my surgery, I started getting more pain on the upper right side as well. I was hesitant about getting the surgery because most of my symtpoms were on the wrong side. Those symptoms have gone and I am hoping for good. It has only been 4 days though. Other things can cause left side pain including stomach and pancreas. So hold off until you get that hida scan result. Did you get an upper endoscopy as well? Blood work for liver/pancreas, etc?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
(female)

Ladybiker HB User

I have had the endoscope. Showed "mild gastritis". And I did have the H Pylori infection. Doctor order antibiotics -- tetracycline and cipro. I'm allergic to many antibiotics. He only ordered 7 days. Most everything I read on internet says 14 days. But I have had this pain on the left for so long. Now the nausea and not being able to eat for quite a while is bad. But not sure if it is from the HIDA scan, I am having a really bad evening. The nausea is horrible, and the pain on under the left breast area. I'm scared. But being able to post these notes really helps. I do appreciate your response. I saw your other notes that you had gallbladder surgery. I told my husband I hope the doctor does say it's my gallbladder, because if not I'm really terrified. I did also have the enzyme blood tests, and they were okay. I'm really scared. I do appreciate your note. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
(male)

sadtummy HB User

Your doctor really needs to chime in on this. You need to express how worried you are and how sick you feel. Does he suggest anything for the nausea, pain? Have you tried eliminating some things from your diet, most notably fat? Is there any correlation between the types of foods you eat and your symptoms? You didn't mention when you were treated with antibiotics. Did the meds help or make it worse? Do you drink a substantial amount of alcohol? If so, stop completely for a couple days and see what happens. Eat smaller, more frequent meals. Don't lie down for a couple hours after eating. Does a glass of milk help or make it worse?

Old 02-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
(female)

Ladybiker HB User

I couldn't tell that the antibiotics helped. Just ended the antibiotics about 2-3 weeks ago. I think he will retest me. I've tried so hard to keep track of what I eat and what makes things worse. I did try drinking milk, as I read on one of the posts that it helped with esophagal spasms, but it didn't help me. I think it made it worse. Seems like it doesn't matter what I eat. I've tried mostly soft stuff. But normally after I eat, about 2 hours later I get to hurting (feels like spasms or pinching) just under the left breast bone (almost right below it). I have a follow-up appt with gastro doctor on Tuesday. He will definitely get an ear-full this time, as I'm soooo worried and tired of this. I've also asked my husband to go with me so he can talk to the doctor with me, etc.

How are you doing today? Are you getting back to normal after the surgery? Has it helped that you can know of?

thanks again for the notes.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

My gosh...don't drink milk if you think it might be gallbladder related! No fat!
That means no pudding, no ice cream, no cheese, etc, etc, etc. You can have yogurt but that's about it on the dairy end. Plain lean chicken, turkey, veggies, bread only till you know what's going on.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
(female)

Ladybiker HB User

SadTummy - I haven't seen any other posts from you on how you are doing after your gallbladder surgery. Are things okay? I went to surgeon today, I am now scheduled to have gallbladder out on March 12. I have been posting on this message board, and saw your responses. Haven't seen any more from you. I am also one of those having pains in the left side of the chest. Never on the right. I had the HIDA scan this past Friday which showed my ejection fraction as 7.1%. Ever since the HIDA scan I have been suffering very much with nausea. It's terrible. I'm ready to get the gallbladder surgery done.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:58 PM   #8
(male)

sadtummy HB User

I have been posting on the various threads here. Today is day 8, doing very well actually. I did have two recurrences of the center/left side pains that go through to the back. One was on day 5, started at night, that lasted about half an hour. I had a bad attack two days later that started just after 2am and lasted until I got up, and then lingered a bit after that in a milder form. I was pretty disappointed as you can imagine. I saw my surgeon for follow-up and he thought it might calm down on its own accord, but since I also have gastritis, I worry it might be that. I told him that the Protonix wasn't helping me. He suggested trying Pepcid AC. I bought the drug store version of that drug and took it before dinner last night. I was pain free last night. I don't know for sure if it was the medicine or just a good night. I will continue to take the AC each evening for a week. If I am pain free for one week, I will go off the medicine and see how I do. My indigestion and nausea are gone. I am regular and have no problems with anything I eat. On the other hand, I don't eat fast food so I don't know if I could survive a burger, fries, and a milk shake!! I wish you didn't have to wait so long for your surgery.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:25 AM   #9
(female)

Ladybiker HB User

SadTummy - -I called the surgeon's office this morning. I told them I don't think I can wait until 12 March, so they moved me to 5 March. The nausea is terrible -- but the thing that scares me the most if the pain in the upper left chest. Since a cardiologist ran tests, and said everything was okay, I don't think the surgeon or anyone understands. I'm worried that maybe there is a blockage from a gallstone or something. I explained all this to the surgeon I met yesterday.

Good to hear your surgery went well, but that you did have some problems. I wish my surgery was today. I've known many people that had their gallbladder out, and no problems later. I don't really hear any bad stories about gallbladder removal.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #10
(male)

sadtummy HB User

Did your doc offer any explanation to that left side chest pain?? I know that stones can block the pancreatic duct and that would cause left side pain...though I expect that would show up in an ultrasound. Did you have an ultrasound? I have had luck with the pepcid AC (or drug store generic) with stopping my left side pain. Apparently it is due to gastritis. Oddly though, I have no daytime pain now that my gall bladder is out..only nighttime pain, and it is less. Strange, complex inter-relationships between all the organs in your body. Are you using any anti-nausea drugs?

Old 02-21-2007, 03:26 PM   #11
(female)

Ladybiker HB User

I think that's what scares me, a blockage near the pancreas or something. No ultrasound that I can recall having. I had the HIDA scan. The surgeon did say he was going to run some kind or something during the removal of the gallbladder to check the ducts, but I guess I'm worried they are waiting too long to check this out. I did buy some Pepcid AC -- and will try that again in the meantime. I have noticed when I lay on my left side it does seem to be relieved, but whenever I'm up, it starts hurting again. I take Ambien at night to sleep. I never notice pain in the night. Your notes are my inspiration for my surgery and just getting this over with. I think you are the only one that seemed to have symptoms very similar to mine. I do appreciate the responses. Did you have the HIDA scan or was it the ultrasound that determined yours gallbladder needed to be removed? Also, I have no appetite at all, and haven't had. I have to force myself to eat anything. Did you have that problem before surgery?

Old 02-21-2007, 03:47 PM   #12
(female)

Ladybiker HB User

After I sent earlier note, I remembered I did have a lower abdominal CT scan, but was not sure if that included the pancreas and gallstones, etc.
The anti-nausea medication I'm using is one for children -- figured it would be easier on the stomach. It helps, as long as I take it.

I hope you continue to do well after your surgery, and back to normal soon.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:10 PM   #13
(male)

sadtummy HB User

I believe I have read that pancreatitis is worse when lying down and it helps to sit up and lean forward. I started out having indigestion and mild nausea, no pain. that went on for several months. My doctor ordered general blood work and tests specifically for the liver and pancreas. He also ordered an ultrasound. The blood work was normal. The ultrasound only showed a mildly enlarged common bile duct, but within normal limits. I did not have any stones. After Protonix failed to ease my symptoms, I went to a GI doctor. He ordered an endoscopy and a HIDA scan. The ejection fraction on the HIDA scan was 17% and so he wanted to have my gall bladder removed. The endoscope exam found moderate gastritis and a mild hiatal hernia. The burning pain in the center and left of center which bored through to the back started just about the time I had the endoscopy. So the problem escalated from simple multi-hour tummy aches to actual pain. Nothing seemed to stop it. My appetite was pretty good though I found myself eating smaller portions and I lost a few pounds. No vomiting at all. After the gall bladder was removed on Feb 12th, I had a few days where I didn't feel too good, but now I feel pretty good. I still have some pain on my right flank back where the kidney is...not sure what that is. I have had some of that harsh pain in the center and left abdomen since the surgery but it only happens at night. Before it was happening night and day. The Pepcid AC seems to help that which makes me think it is due to the gastritis. My pain often hits around 2 or 3am when I am sleeping and then lasts until I get up. Before the surgery, it would last another 5 or 6 hours after rising. It hurt so bad that I went to the emergency room on Feb 3, heart checked out okay, sent me home with no diagnosis. I will see my GI doc again in early March and I will query him on my gastritis and any remaining symptoms at that time. The surgeon told me my gall bladder was enlarged and had adhesions which was almost certainly due to the fact it wasn't functioning anymore. I believe that it will take a few more weeks before I really know how I am doing. I am surprised your doc didn't order an ultrasound to check for stones. It is a much less expensive test than a HIDA scan. I don't believe the HIDA scan is good for diagnosing stones. You are probably doing the right thing in having your gall bladder removed as a result of the poor ejection fraction. It can only get worse. When you and your husband go see your doc, write down the questions you have so you don't forget to ask them. I often go in with the questions in my head and then get sidetracked and forget to ask them all. Oh, I did start getting some right upper quadrant pain shortly before my surgery. I was almost glad as it validated the diagnosis. I am still not absolutely certain what this left side pain is all about. Ask your doctor if there is anything you can do for your pain, perhaps a prescription pain killer, to get you by until your surgery in March.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:31 PM   #14
(female)

GeneticsSuck HB User

I've been experienceing severe pains in my right side and up in my shoulders....and severe nausea....I had a HIDA scan done yesterday and I'm still waiting for ther results. On April 26 (B-day) and I had an Endoscope done, and showed erosioins in my esophicus, and 14 small ulcers near the opening to my large intestine.....The doctors are just now listening to the fact that we think I have a problem with my gall bladder....It runs in the faimly. The endoscope really makes your throat hurt for about a day and a half......Does anyone know about that picture when the HIDA scan is being proformed? Because my gall bladder stayed bright the whole time and there was only a small amount that you could see leaving it. It sucks being 17 with all this going on.....The pains have been so bad that I havn't been to school in almost 5 weeks. I've only been able to eat like 1 meal a day, and a small one at that.......One thing that i've discovered that sugary stuff keeps it calm, like sweet tea, cotton candy and other sugary things....It really helps to keep the neasua down.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:55 PM   #15
(female)

mizzaj HB User
Unhappy Re: HIDA Scan and Gallbladder-- HELP!

My doc just said that my HIDA scan came back normal-- apparently they forgot to do the injection fraction part, which po'd my doc a bit, but what can you do?

I was diagnosed with small gallstones about 6 weeks ago. After having a few episodes of intense pain before they diagnosed the gall stones, I started eating low fat foods and eating a lot less. My biggest problems was getting really full from eating a very small amount of food.

Then BAM, in the last week I started getting upper abdominal pain, pain under my ribs, some pain in my back and shoulder, a little chest pain, some heartburn. To me, these seemed like classic gall bladder symptoms, but the doc said that he wasn't sure it was the gall bladder causing these things because if it was, it'd probably show up on the HIDA scan.

He said that in 100 cases like mine, if he removed the gall bladder, 50 would have improved symptoms, and 50 would not. So now I don't know WHAT to do. I've seen that some people on here have had normal HIDA scans and still have gone through with the surgery. The doctor mentioned giving me some kind of anti-spasmodic medication, but I just don't know if that would help. I'm so fed up.....

Any suggestions/advice?

Closed Thread