It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
(female)

mommyfletcher HB User
New member and just had Gallbladder surgery

Hello everyone. I had been looking for over a month for a site to help answer some questions on getting this surgery. Well I never found one but had the surgery and still have questions. This is day 6 and I have not had a regular bowel movement. Gone twice in 6 days and they have been small and solid. I increased some normal foods at day 5. I had 3oz piece grilled steak, baked potatoe plain, corn on cob plain. Lots of apple and fruit juices, water, sweet tea, progresso chicken soup, sliced deli ham sandwich with lettuce and tomatoe only, jello, scrambled eggs in Pam, and lots of water! Today hubby took me to eat and we took a gamble. Ate at mexican, so I had two tortialls filled with mix of steak,chicken,shrimp with onions and peppers about two tablespoons in each,not stuffed. No salsa! Few chips. Started feeling gasy and bloated within a few hours. So I know I did something wrong according to some of the things I read here. Need to see if anyone has like a diet I could use or follow. I had the Lap done but they could not get the gallbladder out thru the bellybutton from what I was told. Said it was slightly enlarged and I had a golf ball sized stone. What causes a stone this large, and why did I not have severe attacks. Like one ever few months for the last four years until one put in in the ER. Ok sorry so much, just so overwhelmed I guess. Still have some soreness where the staples are. Thanks for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
(male)

beau1954 HB User
Re: New member and just had Gallbladder surgery

Hi there. I had Lap gall bladder surgery a year ago. I noticed that I did not go to the washroom for days. Be careful about this that you do not get too constipated. It is caused by the drugs to put u out, and if you are taking anything with codeine in it now for the after pain, then you might want to take a stool softener as well, as the codeine will cause constipation as well.

Try taking some metamusal, and eat as much fibre as youcan..fruits, nuts, veggies, etc.

Mack off on the fatty foods for a while, and introduce them slowly, so your bile has a chance (and body) to get adjusted. You will likely end up with diarreha, but this is due to too much bile being dripped ito your system...again the body needs to learn how much to give out.

It will not be long before you are back at it. As far as not much pain - well it might be due to the size of your stone...did not move around much. I believe it is the moving around of the stones that cause the pain. Hence, eat fatty food, generate bile, as the bile is leaving the bile duct, moves the stones around, causing pain. That is why post surgery diet is to cut out the fatty foods, so that you do not need as much bile, and therefore causing less movement of the stones.

Drink plenty of water... lots of it.

Have a good day,
Gary

Old 02-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
(female)

mommyfletcher HB User

Thanks for the advice. I am on day 12. Just had the last of the staples removed. I was on pain meds but stopped taking laxative they prescribed, will get back on it. I have not had a problem drinking. My glass stays full of juice or water all day, I can't seem to quench it. I was never a big drinker before. Few cups of coffee, some tea or juice with dinner and that was about it. Think I will get some metamucil. Thanks again for the help.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

m fletcher,

You are baically not eating food with enough fiber -- so here is basically what you need to know-- It is not complete but is a good start.

To have normal BMs a person needs 20 to 35 grams of fiber daily along with 6 to 8 glasses of water. Your body is about 70% water so it needs water for all organs to function properly.

The fiber needs to be a combination of both soluble and insoluble fiber.
Insoluble fiber is the type that causes intestinal muscles to contract producing peristalis that moves digested food through your intestines.

Soluble fiber is the type fiber that dissolves and absorbs water/fluids to bulk up you stools.

All fruit and veggies are mostly insoluble fiber. Also, nuts & seeds, and the outer part of grains (bran) and the outside part of beans, peas and green beans are all insoluble.
Fibercon is an insoluble fiber supplement.

Soluble fiber is the inner part of grians, beans & peas. The root veggies that absorb water are considered soluble like potatos, carrots, beets, sweet potatos, and turnips.

And of course the soluble fiber supplements like Metamucil (pysllium), Citrucel (methylcellulose). Benefiber (guar gum) and Fiber Choice (chicory root/ Inulin).

There is NO fiber in all meats, seafoods, and all dairy products.

A cereal - Fiber One -- 1/4 cup is 14 grams of insoluble fiber and 1 gram of soluble fiber.

If you do not eat enough soluble fiber -- your stools will be thin or flat and not bulky. You stool should be the diameter of a quarter and tubular.

After Gallbladder surgery, I suggest you reduce the fat intake until your digestive system gets use to not having the control to properly digest fats.

I wish you well----Harry

Also-- all pain meds cause constipation to some degree-- so unless absolutely necessary don't take them!!

Last edited by Harry; 02-23-2007 at 01:36 PM.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
(female)

Pebkac HB User

Hi -- I just had the surgery, too, with large stones, but not as large as yours. Didn't have your problem probably because I eat a lot of fresh veggies. One nice way to get them is do a veggie bake. Slice up onions, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes and other italian type veggies like zucchini. I do it in the food processor. Pile all this on a pan a couple inches deep with some olive oil and some cheese, even some tomato paste if you like. Some herbs, garlic. Bake about 350 or so for up to an hour, til tender. I eat a large slab of this, say 4 or five inches square, along with the meat or potato or hey, even some pasta or garlic bread or whatever you want. The point is getting the veggies.

Salads are good, too.

Closed Thread