It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
(male)

beau1954 HB User
Post Gall Bladder Surgery - low blood sugars

Hi there. I had lap gall bladder surgery in November 2005. A year and some ago. I never had problems with my blood sugars before, but since the surgery, I have struggled to keep the blood sugars up, always falling too low (Hypoglycemia).

Has anyone experienced this...
thanks
Gary

Old 02-22-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
(male)

sadtummy HB User
Re: Post Gall Bladder Surgery - low blood sugars

How do you know your have low blood sugar? What does your doctor think? I have never heard of anyone having blood sugar problems with gall bladder removal. If you have pancreas problems, that's another story.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
(male)

beau1954 HB User

Hi there, I test my blood levels with a meter. Had tests, and I am producing too much insulin at times. Wondering if this is a direct connection to the removal of the gall bladder, and screwing up the digestion system....ie low blood sugars
Gary

Old 02-22-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
(male)

sadtummy HB User

The gall bladder has nothing to do with blood sugar. Nothing. Your pancreas has plenty to do with blood sugar. That is where your insulin is produced. You can still produce stones, even without a gall bladder, and they could impact the pancreas by blocking the pancreatic duct. There may be other causes to your low blood sugar. You certainly need accurate diagnosis, not a home test kit. You need to talk to your doctor about this.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
(male)

beau1954 HB User

I hear what you are saying, but if the pancreas duct was blocked, would the blood sugars not be too high....

Thanks,
Gary

Old 02-22-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
(male)

sadtummy HB User

No, I don't think that a blocked duct would cause low blood sugar. But neither will a diseased or removed gall bladder. You need to be examined by a doctor to see if you actually do have blood sugar issues, all anyone can do on this forum is guess.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
(female)

dhurst HB User

I had my gb removed march of 06. I have problems with low blood sugars. Have you ever been told to go on diabetic diet, no sugar, low fat ? If you are not diabetic & are truelly hypoglycemic when you eat sugar it burns too fast leaving you low. I was having spells, 911 was called at one time bs was 21 I felt like I was dieing! I done a diabetic insullin glucose at hospital & it went to 38. I have cut out all sugar & went as low fat as I can & I have had no problems since. I don't believe it has anything to do with gb. I have had trouble with it for years, just wasn't severe enough for me to stick to a real diet. I also try to eat something every 3 hrs.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:24 AM   #8
(male)

beau1954 HB User

Thanks for your post.... I never had blood sugar issues until immediately after having my gall bladder removal. I do not know if it di something to my digestive system, or the way that I metabolise foods etc.... it is getting better, not being so sensitive, but it still drops below the norm...
Gary

Old 02-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #9
(male)

sadtummy HB User

You need to go back to your doctor and share your concerns. He/she can do some kind of glucose tolerance test to see if you truly have low blood sugar or some other problem.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:42 AM   #10
(female)

midniteblue HB User
Unhappy Re: Post Gall Bladder Surgery - low blood sugars

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1954 View Post
Hi there. I had lap gall bladder surgery in November 2005. A year and some ago. I never had problems with my blood sugars before, but since the surgery, I have struggled to keep the blood sugars up, always falling too low (Hypoglycemia).

Has anyone experienced this...
thanks
Gary
Hi I have the same problem. I had gall bladder removed in March 2005 and I experience low blood sugar symptoms pretty bad that I had to change my diet to low carbs and low fat. I even sometimes wake up with racing heart. I drink milk or have tablespoon of omega type peanutbutter from smart balance (it's fat doesn't give me diahrea) it gets rid of my hypoglycemic symptoms. I never had this before the gall bladder was removed either. So yes I get same problem as you and doing alot of search online to figure whats causing it. I went as far as looking up selenium deficiency, iron, calcium etc. Am still searching for the answer.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #11
(male)

beau1954 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblue View Post
Hi I have the same problem. I had gall bladder removed in March 2005 and I experience low blood sugar symptoms pretty bad that I had to change my diet to low carbs and low fat. I even sometimes wake up with racing heart. I drink milk or have tablespoon of omega type peanutbutter from smart balance (it's fat doesn't give me diahrea) it gets rid of my hypoglycemic symptoms. I never had this before the gall bladder was removed either. So yes I get same problem as you and doing alot of search online to figure whats causing it. I went as far as looking up selenium deficiency, iron, calcium etc. Am still searching for the answer.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:03 AM   #12
(male)

beau1954 HB User

Good morning Midnight..Isent a post, and do not know where it went, so if this appears to be a dulpicate, it is!
Any how glad to find someone who has experienced the same problem. You are right about the diet, I have had to change too, where I consume very little if any simple sugars, and consume lots of fibre, complex carbs like fruit and whole grains, and also plenty of protein, like peanut butter, etc.

I like you, could not really find an explanation for this, but I do relate it somehow to having the gall bladder removed, as I never experienced any low blood sugars until after it was removed.

I basically have it under control now, but every once in a while, for no real reason, will dip. I appear to have the reactive type of hypoglycemia, as when I do not eat in the morning, I do not have a problem with the sugars dipping, but sometimes when I eat, it can go down??

Anyhow thanks for the post, it was great to get this. If youlearn of anything else regarding the connect of gall bladder removal and low blood sugars, I would be really interested in hearing about it. I will do the same.

Again thanks, and have a great day
Gary

Old 07-05-2007, 08:07 AM   #13
(male)

beau1954 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurst View Post
I had my gb removed march of 06. I have problems with low blood sugars. Have you ever been told to go on diabetic diet, no sugar, low fat ? If you are not diabetic & are truelly hypoglycemic when you eat sugar it burns too fast leaving you low. I was having spells, 911 was called at one time bs was 21 I felt like I was dieing! I done a diabetic insullin glucose at hospital & it went to 38. I have cut out all sugar & went as low fat as I can & I have had no problems since. I don't believe it has anything to do with gb. I have had trouble with it for years, just wasn't severe enough for me to stick to a real diet. I also try to eat something every 3 hrs.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:12 AM   #14
(male)

beau1954 HB User

Good morning dhurst.....I am sorry that I missed your post way back when, and aI hope that you are still around. Please see my post what I sent to Midnite.....

I agree about the diet, eliminating simple sugars, etc, and do find it strange that this occurred after the surgery. The only explanation I can come up with is the fact that we have monkeyed around witht he digestive system, knocked it out of whack by having the gall bladder removed, too much or too little bile now, etc,etc.

Oh well, if anything, eating for the better now, seeing that my diet consists of little or no simple sugars, whole grains, fruits, vegatables, protein, etc...

Now I have found two people who's blood sugars go to low after gall bladder surgery. It would be nice to know why....

thanks, and have a great day
Gary

Old 07-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

I don't think you are alone on this one. I, every once in a while, have the same problem. It mainly happens when I am out shopping and usually mid afternoon. Like today, I was grocery shopping and started to get the shakes, hot/cold flashes and felt dizzy. I know what happens after I get those symptoms so I had to leave the store and get something to eat. The only time I experienced this drop before GB removal was when I was pregnant and at that time I actually did pass out for a few seconds. My husband took me to the hospital and they told me my blood sugar was low and had me drink some orange juice. Since having my GB removed they have definately become more frequent, but the weird thing is I had a fasting blood glucose test done and it was within normal range. So I can't really explain these drops.

Closed Thread