It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
(male)

ingee HB User
Gallbladder - To remove or not to remove

Started having digestive symptoms (gas/diarrhea) after eating or upon waking years ago, I was "tough" and ruled them out as anxiety related.

Fast forward to about 3 years ago ...

On a routine exam my GP noticed my liver enzymes were slightly elevated. She ran tests for Hep/Celiac and others as well as ordered an Ultrasound. Ultrasound showed nothing and the enzymes stayed elevated. My GP was perplexed and referred me to a Gastro doc.

The Gastro doctor did a brief exam and told me to try a low-fat diet for 60 days and come back for additional blood work. After the 60 days I returned and my enzymes were all back to normal. He ruled this off as fatty liver and told me to go about my business.

About 9 months after being "normal" I noticed that I started having a Yellow "looser" stool, so I went back to my Gastro doctor. He ordered stool tests and told me to take fiber daily. I tried this for 3-5 months until I noticed that around my right rib cage that if I press, I have pain as well as after eating I noticed that I would get allot of pressure from certain foods.

After doing mass-amounts of research, I decided I would push my GP into ordering a HIDA scan for me ,since my Gastro doctor seemed to want to rule it to me not eating right. (I'm a health nut, thats impossible). The results of the scan was an 11% ejection fraction w/ CCK injection. Based on the results, I went to a surgeon friend of mine which he said COULD be the cause of my problems and that it sounded like it, but he would not guarantee anything.

I'm left with this.. Should I remove my gallbladder or should I hang on to what is left? Does my symptoms relate to a "bunk" Gallbladder?

Thanks!

--Ingee

Last edited by ingee; 03-06-2007 at 11:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 10:07 AM   #2
(female)

nikki2006 HB User
Re: Gallbladder - To remove or not to remove

ingee, with an 11% ejection rate, i would have it removed..for some reason i dont think dr's like to tell you that it is the definate cause of symptoms, i think its to cover their butts if you have probs after removal..

I had my gallbladder out becaue it caused alot of pain, but with that i was also constantly bloated, aside from the pain, the bloated thing annoyed me bigtime and one of the questions i asked the surgeon was "if i get it removed, will the bloating go away" he said, he couldnt be sure of that.

well i had it removed anyway, cos the option was to keep going as i was, and the bloating did go away..

If it is causing you problems, id have it out. good luck!

Old 03-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #3
(male)

ingee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki2006 View Post
ingee, with an 11% ejection rate, i would have it removed..for some reason i dont think dr's like to tell you that it is the definate cause of symptoms, i think its to cover their butts if you have probs after removal..

I had my gallbladder out becaue it caused alot of pain, but with that i was also constantly bloated, aside from the pain, the bloated thing annoyed me bigtime and one of the questions i asked the surgeon was "if i get it removed, will the bloating go away" he said, he couldnt be sure of that.

well i had it removed anyway, cos the option was to keep going as i was, and the bloating did go away..

If it is causing you problems, id have it out. good luck!
Thanks Nikki,

I decided I'd post this thread and get everyones opinions and make a decision this week. I appreciate the response!

Old 03-06-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The ejection rate will not improve so this is not going to get better. So the decision is yours...keep on as you are with the chance of it getting worse or be done with it now.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Ingee,

Just to add my two cents: I would never consider removing my gall bladder without first doing a Liver/Gall bladder flush. The flush often works wonders to clear blockages of the bladder and the biliary ducts.
You can always have the surgery later if the flush doesn't work.

Surgery is NEVER without risk and should ALWAYS be the last resort.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-11-2007 at 06:42 AM.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
(female)

ATootsie HB User

Along with adding my two cents I have a question! I had pain in the middle of my back between the shoulder blades and after some tests they determined I needed my gallbladder out! Still had the pains after! makes you wonder if I really needed it out! Question is what is involved with a flush? Toots!

Old 03-14-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
(female)

Beppie1 HB User

I would be curious about a gall bladder flush too, if that is what is going on with me. Havent completed all the tests yet.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:55 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Here's a thread I from the liver boards with a couple of my tips on the liver flush:

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=440163[/url]

Old 04-13-2007, 06:31 AM   #9
(male)

ingee HB User

Thanks everyone for your advise.

Had my gall bladder removed and a liver biospy performed this past Tuesday .. Doing well. Glad I didn't listen to the flush advise. Pathology report came back that my gall bladder had started necrosis and was on its way to gangrene. I doubt a flush would have helped that.

I went back to college last night and have only been off my feet two days (including day of surgery).

Old 04-14-2007, 05:16 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Hey! i am glad that the surgery went well! Wow, I was off of my feet for almost a week, and still have to rest constantly. But I think my surgeon went about things quite differently than most surgeons who do laproscopic. Some of my incisions were longer than usual. I have one that is 2 inches (coming straight up from the bellybutton), one that is an inch, and the other two are tiny, and what I expected the others to look like. I ended up with 15 staples.
Sorry to go on about that. I just find it rather wierd. But I am glad you had yours removed! I was told that having mine out might not have helped it much, but my EF was 9.5% with the CCK injection. So far, I have noticed a big diffecrence, except in eatting fried foods. That's not a good idea.
Good luck!

Old 04-14-2007, 09:37 AM   #11
(male)

ingee HB User

I'm not sure if me being in good shape and being young played a role in my recovery or not, but the nurses and surgeon kept complementing on how good of shape I was in?

That does sound odd for the lap. incisions, mine are very small (< 1 inch) and all but one will leave a small scar. He placed one right in the bottom of my belly button, the other mid chest and two off to the side. The two on the side are already almost healed.

Did you get the pathology report back on your gall bladder? If so, what did it say?

Old 04-14-2007, 09:43 AM   #12
(male)

ingee HB User

Just wanted to add how awesome my surgeon is ..

Not only did every nurse/staff member compliment me on using such an exceptional surgeon at the hospital, he has also called me everyday/night to check in on me and see how I was doing .. and when my results came back from the pathologist, he was the one that called me, not his nurses.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:42 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

I didn't get a pathology report back. I didn't know that they did one. The surgeon did tell my parents that I did not have any stones, so he wasn't sure if having the surgery actually helped. So far, so good, though. Yeah, the two of mine off to the side are pretty healed. Not completely or anything, but they are much better than originally. The other two are still really sore.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #14
(male)

ingee HB User

You may want to ask your surgeons office about it, I would think all of the gall bladders would be sent over to a pathologist for inspection after removal, but I'm not certain. I'll get the whole report on mine and post it after my post-op visit Wednesday.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:14 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Leapfrog...they'll tell you when you get the staples out. That's when I found out about mine.

Closed Thread