Need help: Post-gallbladder chest pains & poor motility
I'm a 35yo female, 5'6", 128 lbs, nonsmoker, infrequent drinker.
Here's my story:
I was having right-upper quadrant (RUQ) pain last year and finally had a HIDA scan, which showed an ejection fraction of 9%. I had my gallbladder out 11/10/06. There were no stones although possible evidence that my gallbladder had been inflamed. No sludge.
Immediately after surgery, I had terrible constipation. Then, I had a slight bit of diarrhea. Since then, I've had constipation and poor motility (movement through the digestive tract) since I had it out. And, recently, I've started getting increased belching (like before surgery) and chest pains back in the RUQ and all around in my chest. The pain was pressure for a while but has recently been come-and-go sharp pains, too. Belching does seem to relieve the pain.
In the past, I've been checked out for heart trouble, too. Other than having a bit of an unusual heartbeat, which according to the cardiologist showed no cause for concern (and I was otherwise completely healthy after an echocardiogram), I don't have any signs of heart trouble. Good cholesterol and triglycerides.
I went to the GI doctor about a month ago. All blood work came back normal. He said that he thought the RUQ pain was "spasms" but not Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. Some of the random chest pains have gotten worse recently, though (but I have resumed a pretty fatty diet.)
Now, to the questions:
1. Is all this chest pain and belching likely to just be indigestion? Is this common? How many of you get this?
2. I have had no luck with antacids and acid inhibitors. They simply make it burn more. Any suggestions?
3. I take Loestrin birth control pills. I read the leaflet and it said that BCPs can cause gallbladder disease! Are any of you on BCPs? Do you think there could be a correlation? I have heard that BCPs increase acid, too.
4. I know diarrhea is very common, but have any of you continued to have lots of problems with constipation and poor motility? Any suggestions?
5. I started taking BCPs to control recurrent ovarian cysts. Until the past year or so, I had never taken them. Are any of you in the same boat? I'm wondering if there's any crazy hormonal connection in all of this...
6. I also have joint hypermobility disorder. Any of you have that? It's a benign connective tissue thing. I also have frozen shoulder from an unknown cause. Wondering if there's some sort of connective tissue issue in our shared digestive issues...
I'm very sad (crying) and at my wit's end. I just feel like all of this has been going on so long (years now) and I wonder when it will ever end!!!! Can any of you relate to this? Any words of wisdom? Coping skills? Advice? Concerns?
May God bless you all!