It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
(female)

chirho HB User
Need help: Post-gallbladder chest pains & poor motility

I'm a 35yo female, 5'6", 128 lbs, nonsmoker, infrequent drinker.

Here's my story:

I was having right-upper quadrant (RUQ) pain last year and finally had a HIDA scan, which showed an ejection fraction of 9%. I had my gallbladder out 11/10/06. There were no stones although possible evidence that my gallbladder had been inflamed. No sludge.

Immediately after surgery, I had terrible constipation. Then, I had a slight bit of diarrhea. Since then, I've had constipation and poor motility (movement through the digestive tract) since I had it out. And, recently, I've started getting increased belching (like before surgery) and chest pains back in the RUQ and all around in my chest. The pain was pressure for a while but has recently been come-and-go sharp pains, too. Belching does seem to relieve the pain.

In the past, I've been checked out for heart trouble, too. Other than having a bit of an unusual heartbeat, which according to the cardiologist showed no cause for concern (and I was otherwise completely healthy after an echocardiogram), I don't have any signs of heart trouble. Good cholesterol and triglycerides.

I went to the GI doctor about a month ago. All blood work came back normal. He said that he thought the RUQ pain was "spasms" but not Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. Some of the random chest pains have gotten worse recently, though (but I have resumed a pretty fatty diet.)

Now, to the questions:
1. Is all this chest pain and belching likely to just be indigestion? Is this common? How many of you get this?
2. I have had no luck with antacids and acid inhibitors. They simply make it burn more. Any suggestions?
3. I take Loestrin birth control pills. I read the leaflet and it said that BCPs can cause gallbladder disease! Are any of you on BCPs? Do you think there could be a correlation? I have heard that BCPs increase acid, too.
4. I know diarrhea is very common, but have any of you continued to have lots of problems with constipation and poor motility? Any suggestions?
5. I started taking BCPs to control recurrent ovarian cysts. Until the past year or so, I had never taken them. Are any of you in the same boat? I'm wondering if there's any crazy hormonal connection in all of this...
6. I also have joint hypermobility disorder. Any of you have that? It's a benign connective tissue thing. I also have frozen shoulder from an unknown cause. Wondering if there's some sort of connective tissue issue in our shared digestive issues...

I'm very sad (crying) and at my wit's end. I just feel like all of this has been going on so long (years now) and I wonder when it will ever end!!!! Can any of you relate to this? Any words of wisdom? Coping skills? Advice? Concerns?

May God bless you all!
chirho

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
(female)

Donna K HB User
Re: Need help: Post-gallbladder chest pains & poor motility

I had my gallbladder removed in January due to gallstones. I am still suffering with severe indigestion and left (over the breast) chest pain, and back pain. The chest pain stops when I burp. I had every test possible to determine what is causing this problems (CT, Upper barium GI, Endoscopy) and they all come up clear except for the CT which showed I have an ovarian cyst I also saw a cardiologist to rule out my heart because the pain was so bad, I thought I was having a heart attack. I've been taking Nexium once a day and gas-x after each meal. I follow a low-fat diet and nothing seems to be working. I thought perhaps, I have acid/reflux or gerd. My gastro doctor says that he doesn't think so because Nexium would have helped. I also am at my wit's end with this. I thought having my gallbladder removed would make me feel better, not worse! Check out the other gallbladder thread, we are not alone!

Old 03-28-2007, 06:45 AM   #3
(male)

sadtummy HB User
Re: Need help: Post-gallbladder chest pains & poor motility

Donna K, The endoscopy and upper GI should have ruled out ulcers or gastritis. I'm not sure about hiatal hernias though. I would think the upper GI series would have spotted that. A sliding hernia might be relieved with a burp. Imagine your stomach filling with air, the upper portion of your stomach pushes up through the diaphragm (hiatal hernia), burbing releases the extra air and the herniated portion of the stomach drops back into its correct position. Just a thought. Ask your doctor about that. If the Nexium seems not to be working, you might try going off of it temporarily in case it is exacerbating your symptoms. If you lie on your back and palpate around your stomach area, are there any tender spots? The doc should have already done this, but if you find a spot, and it is tender most of the time, bring that up with your doc too. Wish I had more ideas.

Closed Thread