It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
(male)

Oddballs HB User
Post OP gallbladder removal issues

Thanks. Yeah I am surprised they did not recommend staying off fatty foods. The leaflet they gave me even says I could eat normally. But normal for me is obviously not normal as in healthy. I will attempt to remedy the situation. Finding cheap premade food (I am a terrible cook) that is also healthy and not full of saturated fats is difficult. Might have to spend a bit more for a while and see if I can find better food. Or learn to cook perhaps.

Last edited by Oddballs; 04-13-2007 at 04:13 PM.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Post OP gallbladder removal issues

Am surprised they told you to go back to a regular diet! No fat for a month...and then slowly introduce it back into your diet. Whew! I would never have tried that...they were very explicit with me with my post op instructions..nothing greasy, fatty, spicey for 4 weeks. Now, I did fudge a bit and paid the price....good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2007, 04:12 PM   #3
(male)

Oddballs HB User

Hi. I am a 41 year old overweght male. I had gallstone pain (Supposedly) for several years on and off. I also have IBS, a bout of gastritis and other issues too long to list.

It was recommended by the doctor at my hospital to have the gallbladder removed. Roll on to now.

I had it removed using keyhole surgery on thursday last week and left for home the same day. My notes say I was an extensive bleeder and also they say my liver bed bled for a while before stopping on it's own. I also had a rough time coming out of the anaesthesia (Tachycardic).

It's now been a week and I have been feeling a bit sore. I have been eating normally. Had some diarhoea (But I get that anyhow so nothing new there) and lots of wind and cramping.

I can't lie on my right side as it feels like something is stretching inside and is painful. I get a burning sensation across the top of my abdomen and alternating sharp pain just under the ribs on both the left and right especially when sitting for long or if I do anything too strenuous. Getting up in the morning is painful too until I stretch and walk a bit.

Antacids seem to help with the bloating pain.

I have some bleeding on occasion still from a couple of the wounds (They were glued and not dressed).

I ate a bunch of fatty food today and have had pain under my ribs on the right where I had pain before and sharp pain on the right side of my back at the same level. Also a little nauseas and breathless/panicky.

Perhaps it is too short a time to start eating anything fatty? Perhaps a change of diet is required after all. Maybe it's just too soon after surgery to tell?

Just looking for some reassurance here.

Last edited by Oddballs; 04-13-2007 at 04:25 PM.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Hello! I too was told to go back to a normal diet after surgery. I have been having a lot of pain where the belly button incision is. I think that that could very well be due to the fact that it is bigger than normal. Most people I have heard have an incision that is about an inch long inside the belly button. Mine goes straight up and down, and starts at the belly button. It is 2 inches long. The other seem to be of normal lenght, but I had a total of 15 staples. The staples were killer, until I had them out on Thursday, a little more than a week after surgery. I just had country fried steak (about a week after surgery), and I thought I was going ot die. I had nausea in my chest (WEIRD!) and could not get comfortable unless I was standing up. If I sat or layed down, I would just be rolling, and it would hurt so bad. Not sure why the pain was in the middle of my chest. It felt kinda like heartburn, because it was in the same place, but it was like a rolling nausea kinda thing. Hard to explain.
Hope you start feeling better soon!!

Old 04-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
(male)

Oddballs HB User

OK it's now been three weeks since the op and I am still having problems. Not sure how long it takes to get past the worse of it. My wounds are still scabbed up and seem to be taking ages to heal. I also got a bit of a itchy rash on the chest (I will ask doc about that just in case).

Now the big problems. First I am still suffering from painful trapped wind. Today I had pain down the lower right side of my back which was only relieved by lying down. I took some Windeze to try and get rid of the gas which helped a little. My doc (Not my regular GP that day) prescribed Mebeverine. This does not seemed to have helped any (Not sure how many days it takes to work if at all) but have read that only 1 in 6 people find it beneficial anyhow.

I have diarhoea but not always. Sometimes it's just soft. My main problem is the painful trapped wind which is usually worse when I lie down to try and sleep. It usually sits around where the liver is /gallbladder was. Mornings are awful. But today it was OK when I got up but by midday I had the back pain.

Stretching in certain directions sometimes causes me pain in the area of the gallbladder too.

I have also had reflux (Which I sometimes get anyhow) and feeling chills/cold/flu like symptoms (Also had some sniffles).

I recently came off Remeron post op. Probably not a great idea while still recovering but stopped taking them after a reducing dose two weeks ago. I have a prescription of low dose Elavil and was thinking of trying it to see if it helped the IBS symptoms.

I am wondering if I made the right decision now to have the gallbladder out. Right now I feel a lot worse than before. I just hope that time will heal me back to normal (Or close as).

Old 04-26-2007, 10:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Hey! I am 3 weeks post op as well. Things seem to be going better for me, but I still canot eat fatty foods. It causes horrible spasms, and I feel like I am dying. Hopefully that will go away soon!! Anyhow, hope that you feel better soon. My belly button incision is still scabbed over as well. the rest seem to be okay, but I think the other one is still a scab because it was longer than the rest of them. Not sure though. And it was up and down, not sideways. I got my surgeons report and trying to figure everything out. Grrr...anyways, hope you feel better soon!!

Closed Thread