It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
(female)

sophie2007 HB User
Question What to eat after gallbladder surgery? Any suggestions would be great!

It's been about 13 days since I had my gallbladder removed and I think I am doing great except the only thing I can eat is Honey Bunches of Oats cold cereal. Everything else seems to make me very nauseous. Any suggestions as to what to be able to add to my diet, or when this will stop? I really appreciate all suggestions. Thanks! Sophie

Old 06-29-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
(male)

miknan HB User
Re: What to eat after gallbladder surgery? Any suggestions would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie2007 View Post
It's been about 13 days since I had my gallbladder removed and I think I am doing great except the only thing I can eat is Honey Bunches of Oats cold cereal. Everything else seems to make me very nauseous. Any suggestions as to what to be able to add to my diet, or when this will stop? I really appreciate all suggestions. Thanks! Sophie

What kind of food have you tried? I only eat low fat foods and still am suffering 5 weeks post op. Hope you continue to improve.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
(female)

sophie2007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by miknan View Post
What kind of food have you tried? I only eat low fat foods and still am suffering 5 weeks post op. Hope you continue to improve.
Thank you for responding so promptly!

I've tried Lean Cusine meals, low fat cheese, pastas, mashed potatoes without butter, and low fat mac and cheese. I can, however, drink 1% buttermilk without any problem and as I said before, cold oat cereal.

I am dying for a salad but am not sure of what kind of dressing to use? I would also like to try and eat some sort of protein and was thinking of ground turkey. But when this naseous feeling hits, it lasts all day and I have to take a hydrocodone to make it go away.

What are you able to eat? Thanks, Sophie

Old 06-29-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Baked/broiled chicken, turkey breast, baked potatoes, fat free salad dressing,
bread, soups, yogurt, fruit, all kinds of things like that. A turkey sandwich for lunch, lean cuisine or baked potato and salad for dinner...a little fruit yogurt for dessert.

And try fresh gingerroot for the nausea...lay off the drugs.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
(female)

sophie2007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Baked/broiled chicken, turkey breast, baked potatoes, fat free salad dressing,
bread, soups, yogurt, fruit, all kinds of things like that. A turkey sandwich for lunch, lean cuisine or baked potato and salad for dinner...a little fruit yogurt for dessert.

And try fresh gingerroot for the nausea...lay off the drugs.
Thank you for your advice. Do I chew the ginger root when I start to feel the nausea? I tried the lean cusine but so far have not found one that agrees with me. Did you experience this after GB surgery? If so, how long ago did you have it done? Did everything disagree with you in the beginning? Thanks again!

Old 06-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Yes, you chew the gingerroot as needed...lots of pregnant women use it. Just peel and keep some in the frig...when you feel a little queasy, chew a little. Or you can always drink ginger ale but I found the gingerroot to work better.

I had mine out 2 years ago. Really didn't have nausea issues afterwards as I really stuck to a no fat diet for about a month...except for one Mexican craving I just had to satisfy! And it was a good thing I got take out and brought it home! Then I slowly introduced fat into my diet...like, one little piece of butter on a roll, etc. I was probably eating completely normally at about 3 months....but I took it really easy...

Closed Thread